Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Random Rant Thread

This is a discussion on Random Rant Thread within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Xodar People who wait to merge out of a lane that ends until their only choices are ...

Re: Random Rant Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Xodar View Post
    People who wait to merge out of a lane that ends until their only choices are cut someone off or hit the wall.

and...

People who, when faced with that choice, don't hit the wall. It seems like that's cheating natural selection somehow.
    This reminds of when I lived in the DC area and they were doing a lot of roadwork. A stretch of two-lane I drove every day had the left lane blocked off for weeks while they repaired a bridge. The right lane would grow longer and longer, until it stretched a mile or more behind the bridge. People would rip past at full speed on the left, traffic at a crawl on the right, until they hit the backlog of cars waiting to merge back right -- butting in line in other words. A few days into this it hit me: Block the left lane! So I did. The minute I reached the back of the right hand lane I slowed and paced the last car. Others piled up behind it and me, BUT NOBODY WENT PAST as I moved along with the car on my right. Where before, the right lane would go slower and slower as it approached the bridge, now, from the time I arrived until I merged, it speeded up! I started saving about 10 minutes per commute. The person to my right, probably puzzled at first, would always figure out what I was doing; sometimes a thumbs up, sometimes a tipped hip, sometimes a lean-out-the-window thank you and a wave as I drove into line in front of them when the time came (and they always let me in ahead of them). Probably lucky somebody on my bumper didn't shoot me.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    "An historical." Drives me NUTS!! It's "a historical" if you pronounce the "h", although I'll let it slide if you elide the "h". "An hhhissstorical" is so ignorant, so annoying, so grating, that anyone writing news copy should be fired immediately for using it and any announcer who doesn't correct it on the fly should go out the door with the writer. (I'm with the inestimable Edwin Newman on this, so I'm in good company!) For me, it ranks even higher than "between you and I" on the Bad Grammar and Mispronunciation Irritation Gradient. Criminal.
    Betwean u en aye, u no wat reelly pizzes mee oph? Peeple whats korecks oder peeples gramer en spelin. Howh rood!
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    They should make everyone take a test when it is time to renew their license. People over 70 don't have a monopoly on bad driving. Half the people on the road of all ages couldn't pass a test. I drive 5 miles over the speed limit, but have been passed by a lot of people doing 50 over. One time I opened up a car to see what it would do and was doing 110 when someone passed me like I was going too slow.
    Indeed, and I didn't mean to pick on the elderly. But you have to understand...where I live...the numbers are a lil skewed with the rest of the country. And for the purposes of my rant...the driving slow thing, we really only have 2 categories of people doing this..The elderly and the stoned. Weed does funny things to a driver..But I digress, the number of the elderly far surpasses those of the stoned drivers.

I totally agree with you on the people hauling ass on the roads. Seriously people need to slow down..those extra 5 minutes you save, are not going to make a big difference in life.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by shannensmall View Post
    Indeed, and I didn't mean to pick on the elderly.
    A good group to start with, though. Being 67, I promise to be unbiased. There was a public service ad on TV long ago, here in NY. There they are, two 70 somethings, smiling into the camera in their studio prop living room. He sat drooling in an armchair while she perkily perched on the chair arm, chirping charmingly. I actually have it verbatim on some CD or old machine around here somewhere, but it went something like this:

"We're not getting any younger, Charlie, so we have to be more careful when we drive our cars. Our reflexes aren't as good as they used to be and neither is our eyesight, especially at night. And a lot of us are on prescription drugs that can impair our judgment when we drive." On and on, with one argument after another against letting anybody over the age of 50 behind the wheel, and for what? The ad targeted seniors to encourage them to "Buckle Up!"

What's so unfair about the old folks driving is that they don't pay the outrageous insurance rates that teenagers do, even though their/our accident rate is similar. From what I've seen in the news, if you're over 90, nothing you do behind the wheel is illegal or will result in a traffic violation. You can have or create all the wrecks you want with your semii-conscious driving, but you'll never get enough points on your license to have it revoked. They'll give a teenager involved in an accident a ticket just for drill, whether he did anything wrong or not, ESPECIALLY if it was a drugged up, blind, old fart running a stop sign that rammed him. I'll probably be immune from traffic violations soon, but hopefully I'll have the sense to stop driving.

Quote Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
    Betwean u en aye, u no wat reelly pizzes mee oph? Peeple whats korecks oder peeples gramer en spelin. Howh rood!
    I complain about things of this sort on forums, in the abstract, or scream at the TV, but in real life I just grin and bear it. I detest control freak pedants and anti-intellectual flamers equally.

Up-n-coming tobacco dork dmkerr's Avatar

"An historical." Drives me NUTS!! It's "a historical" if you pronounce the "h", although I'll let it slide if you elide the "h". "An hhhissstorical" is so ignorant, so annoying, so grating, that anyone writing news copy should be fired immediately for using it and any announcer who doesn't correct it on the fly should go out the door with the writer. (I'm with the inestimable Edwin Newman on this, so I'm in good company!) For me, it ranks even higher than "between you and I" on the Bad Grammar and Mispronunciation Irritation Gradient. Criminal.
    I'm afraid you'll have to live with that just like S'Small has to live with the slow drivers. Grammatical rules aside, both "a historical" and "an historical" are considered correct, the latter by virtue of common usage.

My favorite is the misuse of "to, too, two". But I had to laugh when I saw an old video with the title "Pushed To Far".
    My pipe doesn't stink - YOU stink!

Full grown Puffer Fish Strickland's Avatar

I use "an" with any word that begins with 'h' if the accent isn't on the first syllable.

"a horse"
    "a humpback whale"
    "an historic occasion"
    "an hysterical woman"

Just sounds better to me...

And I agree, wholeheartedly that everyone should have to take written, road and eye tests every five years before they can renew their driver's license.
    Mah blog! -->

Quote Originally Posted by dmkerr View Post
    Grammatical rules aside, both "a historical" and "an historical" are considered correct, the latter by virtue of common usage.
    It's a pronunciation problem more than a grammar problem. If they just wouldn't pronounce the "h", I'd be fine with it, but it's like saying "an home run" or "an haircut." It isn't "normal" English any more and they have to bend over backward to say it. Most pronunciation errors are merely mistakes, but you have work to get this one wrong, unlike most pronunciation errors that result from simplifying. All Indo-European languages use nu movable to facilitate pronunciation. Adding nu movable before a word starting with a consonant makes that word harder to pronounce, not easier, which makes doing so an affectation; you have to do something which does not come naturally to English pronunciation.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

I complain about things of this sort on forums, in the abstract, or scream at the TV, but in real life I just grin and bear it. I detest control freak pedants and anti-intellectual flamers equally.
    I hope you know I was just kidding. I should have added a to my previous post.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

Well put Jim!

5 years ago my Ex's grandmother was doing 50 MPH over the speed limit, on the wrong side of the highway, and killed a family of 4 in a head on collision. She walked away with minor injuries, and no consequences. She drives to this day.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Strickland View Post
    "an historic occasion"
    "an hysterical woman"
    I would hazrard that these two elide the "h" as you pronounce them. That makes it okay. It's English.

Resorting to a punctuational device, we can render these as:

"an 'istoric occasion"
    "an 'ysterical woman"

Emphasizing the aspirated aitch could eventually sound natural, as can any pronunciation, but it would remain somewhat eccentric from the normal way we as native speakers of English say words. To me it would sound forced and another example of an attempt to be correct gone wrong. It borders on the pseudo-intellectual to aspirate the aitch, at least to my ear.

How would you say, "Good old days?" Pronounce both Ds? Very awkward, but if you're striving to make sure all those printed letters sound out, that would be the thing to do. Don't do it in your audition for a movie part. It'll sound very strange to native speakers of English. Using "an" in front of an aspirated aitch is clumsy. If you don't aspirate it, fine -- now the word starts with what is effectively a vowel.

I would hazrard that these two elide the "h" as you pronounce them. That makes it okay. It's English.

Resorting to a punctuational device, we can render these as:

"an 'istoric occasion"
    "an 'ysterical woman"

Emphasizing the aspirated aitch could eventually sound natural, as can any pronunciation, but it would remain somewhat eccentric from the normal way we as native speakers of English say words. To me it would sound forced and another example of an attempt to be correct gone wrong. It borders on the pseudo-intellectual to aspirate the aitch, at least to my ear.

How would you say, "Good old days?" Pronounce both Ds? Very awkward, but if you're striving to make sure all those printed letters sound out, that would be the thing to do. Don't do it in your audition for a movie part. It'll sound very strange to native speakers of English. Using "an" in front of an aspirated aitch is clumsy. If you don't aspirate it, fine -- now the word starts with what is effectively a vowel.
    IDK if I really care. The english language is highly abbreviated nowadays but that is the way of the times. Hmmmm, DILLIGAF?

This is a forum, not an english major class and there are people here from all walks of life. Education levels vary but we all enjoy tobacco & hence share the same screen. That is enough for me.

450 BTW.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    This is a forum, not an english major class and there are people here from all walks of life. Education levels vary but we all enjoy tobacco & hence share the same screen. That is enough for me.
    I'm sorry. It was a rant thread, where I just made a quick rant and got body slammed for it. The verbal diarrhea that followed was just me trying to defend myself.

All rant threads inevitably lead to trouble, since somebody's ox will be gored every time.

Ok, I must be missing something here. Are we suppose to just stop in the middle of the road and look at you? I am with the guy who drives past and flips the bird (lol not really the bird part) I don't have time to look at you unless you need help.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Wheat View Post
    Do we have one of these? If not, here I go ...

What pisses me off is when people think an activated red and blue emergency light on top of a vehicle blocking traffic means for them to just go around it! WTF?

OK, I'm done.
    To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did. I ought to know because I've done it a thousand times. ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Strickland View Post

And I agree, wholeheartedly that everyone should have to take written, road and eye tests every five years before they can renew their driver's license.
    Are you nuts, written. Driving isn't that hard come on people
    To cease smoking is the easiest thing I ever did. I ought to know because I've done it a thousand times. ~Mark Twain

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast