Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Random Rant Thread

This is a discussion on Random Rant Thread within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Mitch Are you nuts, written. Driving isn't that hard come on people Judging from the driving technique ...

Re: Random Rant Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Are you nuts, written. Driving isn't that hard come on people
    Judging from the driving technique I see on the road, it seems beyond most people. I suppose it's all in how low your standards are. Not sure how a written test would help though.

I'd like to see the test vehicle be required to have a manual transmission. This would cull the hopelessly uncoordinated from the herd, the types who will never learn to drive well no matter how much training you give them. (Many people with licenses have as much of a chance at being good drivers as they do NBA allstars.)

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I'd like to see the test vehicle be required to have a manual transmission. This would cull the hopelessly uncoordinated from the herd, the types who will never learn to drive well no matter how much training you give them. (Many people with licenses have as much of a chance at being good drivers as they do NBA allstars.)
    +10,000. If you cant drive a stick, you shouldnt be able to drive. I hear people saying "its too much to think about", but what do they do when they are on the phone, trying to make a turn while adjusting the radio? Personaly I think that after you take your driving test in a standard, before you get an unrestricted license, you need to have 6 months of riding a motorcycle daily (min 10,000 miles) and 6 months in a semi truck. Maybe that would keep idiots from running over bikers and cutting off semi-trucks.

Why not put them out on Honda Rebels with the trucks? Make it a scientific experiment studying sphincter control or something...

You know what makes me pissed off, seeing a group of boomer bikers all decked out in leathers and doo-rags like they are bad-asses...... with rolex's on.

Believe it or not, you high income boomers are not EZrider, even if you do decide to buy a 25k+ bike

You know what pisses me off, the aforementioned biker looking down at me for riding a Honda VTX when my bike has more parts from the US, was assembled here, looks much nicer, is much more reliable, and cost 1/2 the price.

Quote Originally Posted by jader View Post
    Believe it or not, you high income boomers are not EZrider, even if you do decide to buy a 25k+ bike
    Just wondering if Florida has a helmet law. If not, then if they're wearing helmets, they're really WIMPS!

We've got a guy around these parts that rides some ancient thing, possibly an Indian or something equally exotic, same bike for at least 30 years. He wears a WWI German piked helmet (NY has a helmet law), T-shirt and jeans in the summer. I've seen him bars. He might be in his 60s or even 70s by now, but I still wouldn't mess with him.

You know what pisses me off, the aforementioned biker looking down at me for riding a Honda VTX when my bike has more parts from the US, was assembled here, looks much nicer, is much more reliable, and cost 1/2 the price.
    I run into this all the time with my Honda Valkyrie... Which is stamped on the engine and on the seat MADE IN THE U.S.A.

What I do when the harley posers give my crap for buying a metric is take them over and show them the stamps.. Then I kindly ask them to show me where on their Harley's it says that... Oh wait... Nevermind you harley's don't qualify... Guess I will keep my Hardley...

Just ride man, I don't care what you ride just get out there and do it... an 600 miles a year back and forth to get coffee on Saturday morning and look cool does not make you a biker...

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

No helmet law here in Florida.

How's this for a random rant.

I hate it when you're cooking burgers on a gas grill, leave for a sec to go take a wiz, and come back to find the entire grill ablaze and your burgers ruined. -.-
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Just wondering if Florida has a helmet law. If not, then if they're wearing helmets, they're really WIMPS!

We've got a guy around these parts that rides some ancient thing, possibly an Indian or something equally exotic, same bike for at least 30 years. He wears a WWI German piked helmet (NY has a helmet law), T-shirt and jeans in the summer. I've seen him bars. He might be in his 60s or even 70s by now, but I still wouldn't mess with him.
    This is exactly what I am "not" talking about. There are plenty of cool guys that ride bikes of all ages. There are also plenty of hardcore bikers at all ages. But the one segment that really annoys me is this upper-middle class, born-to-be-wild-for-the-weekend-let-me-wear-flames type guys. It seems like the predominant age group is the boomers, but there are some genX'rs too.

FYI, I see no issue in wearing safety gear, and Florida is a no helmet state as long as you have insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by mbearer View Post
    Just ride man...
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by shannensmall View Post
    No helmet law here in Florida.

How's this for a random rant.

I hate it when you're cooking burgers on a gas grill, leave for a sec to go take a wiz, and come back to find the entire grill ablaze and your burgers ruined. -.-
    I had a huge fire last night when I was doing my normal post cooking heat up. Apparently the chicken fat really stayed on the grill...Luckily no animal meat was hurt during the ordeal.

This is exactly what I am "not" talking about. There are plenty of cool guys that ride bikes of all ages. There are also plenty of hardcore bikers at all ages. But the one segment that really annoys me is this upper-middle class, born-to-be-wild-for-the-weekend-let-me-wear-flames type guys. It seems like the predominant age group is the boomers, but there are some genX'rs too.

FYI, I see no issue in wearing safety gear, and Florida is a no helmet state as long as you have insurance.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm ALL for wearing a helmet AND leather on bike. Common sense, really. But if you're a poseur, you have to go all the way, right? Complete with the Marlon Brando sailor cap.

I wasn't badmouthing that guy with the Indian, honest! He's something of a character.

The only motorcycle (if you want to call it that) I ever owned was a Honda 50, back in 1964. Top end of about 45 with a tailwind.

But I was a REAL bicycle rider and it was my primary transportation when I lived in Atlanta. I have similar loathing for the spandex-clad, $5000 bicycle crowd that takes their bikes out for an exhausting weekend of riding a couple of miles along the canal paths or cluttering up major thoroughfares where going through perfectly safe, parallel neighborhood roads would get them to their destination just as fast. Idiots. And they don't even have rear view mirrors on their helmets or bicycles -- now THAT'S really stupid. Furthermore, these make-believe cyclists often don't even have the seat adjusted right or (and this is so dumb I can't stand it) are wearing designer backpacks; put it on the BICYCLE, dumbass, don't CARRY it, that's why they invented the wheel, you brain dead phony.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish InsidiousTact's Avatar

I HATE bicycles in the streets when there's no bike lane!! Going 10 miles an hour, blocking up a whole lane of traffic... Streets are for cars, and other motorized vehicles. If you want to pedal around lazily, get off the damn road! I feel like I'm going to accidentally hit one of them and then of course it's "my" fault.
    To be governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction, noted, registered, enrolled, taxed..., forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Quote Originally Posted by InsidiousTact View Post
    I HATE bicycles in the streets when there's no bike lane!!
    There should always be a bike lane, ala the Netherlands, but this is the US and there's no hope for that. Some people can't afford a car (like me when I was going to school) and special interests have seen to it that adequate public transportation is non-existent, nonsensical for short distances, or far slower than a bicycle, so what you're saying is that poor people aren't allowed to go places unless you or somebody else gives them a ride.

Personally, I always took the neighborhood roads, past all the houses and gardens, in preference to any main road full of fumes and impatient drivers who's only problem with running me over would be getting points on their drivers' licenses. Even if it meant going a mile further, it was always a much nicer ride. I agree, that if they're out there when they don't need to be, you have a point. If you want to run over hobby riders who could just as easily be riding somewhere else, like a park, I'm all for it. When there's no other road available and there isn't any other way to get where you're going if you can't hitch a ride, yours is very much a "Let them eat cake" attitude. In short, if they're wearing spandex and have a kid in one of those little carts attached to the frame, run 'em down!

I went a lot faster than 10mph back then, I promise you. I actually used to pass cars fairly frequently, especially going downhill, and more especially in rush hour traffic downtown. I just wished all those stupid cars would get out of the way, instead crawling along at 5 mph from light to light.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish InsidiousTact's Avatar

Lol if you can keep up with me, go right ahead!

I'm going to school, I'm pretty darn poor, but I manage to keep a car on the road even with current gas prices and high insurance rates. My town has a reasonably extensive public transportation system, although it does take a little while.

And why can't cyclists ride on the sidewalk? Roads are for motorized vehicles really.

It's the worst right around tour de France time, everbody thinks they're lance Armstrong, and they literally go about 10 mph in full spandex with a speed helmet an everything, they travel in groups, it's horrible. I know the speed because I got stuck behind them several times, it was really 10 mph.

Edit: I should mention that it's probably different in NY than here, traffic isn't as bad and it's more reasonable to own a car.

There should always be a bike lane, ala the Netherlands, but this is the US and there's no hope for that. Some people can't afford a car (like me when I was going to school) and special interests have seen to it that adequate public transportation is non-existent, nonsensical for short distances, or far slower than a bicycle, so what you're saying is that poor people aren't allowed to go places unless you or somebody else gives them a ride.

Personally, I always took the neighborhood roads, past all the houses and gardens, in preference to any main road full of fumes and impatient drivers who's only problem with running me over would be getting points on their drivers' licenses. Even if it meant going a mile further, it was always a much nicer ride. I agree, that if they're out there when they don't need to be, you have a point. If you want to run over hobby riders who could just as easily be riding somewhere else, like a park, I'm all for it. When there's no other road available and there isn't any other way to get where you're going if you can't hitch a ride, yours is very much a "Let them eat cake" attitude. In short, if they're wearing spandex and have a kid in one of those little carts attached to the frame, run 'em down!

I went a lot faster than 10mph back then, I promise you. I actually used to pass cars fairly frequently, especially going downhill, and more especially in rush hour traffic downtown. I just wished all those stupid cars would get out of the way, instead crawling along at 5 mph from light to light.
    To be governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction, noted, registered, enrolled, taxed..., forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast