Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Random Rant Thread

This is a discussion on Random Rant Thread within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by freestoke Google. There was time, not long ago, that one typed in what you were looking for, ...

Re: Random Rant Thread

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Google. There was time, not long ago, that one typed in what you were looking for, got a list of hits and went from there. Now, the links lead directly to a page of shoes or golf clubs or computer equipment totally unrelated to the hit list -- and you can't get to the hit you selected from there! Going directly to the url for the hit, selecting the link FROM THAT SITE, takes you to -- shoes, with no way to continue on to UPS rates. The site itself has its links preempted by google. I find that google has become at least 40% useless for searches. Even connected to the UPS site directly and looking up the rates FROM THE UPS site leads to -- shoes. Infuriating. Removing cookies and history doesn't help, since google apparently has cached these against your IP and quickly plunks 'em back on your next google search. Infuriating. Possibly the best feature to ever hit the net is now effectively disabled.
    Sounds more like a rootkit I removed off of someones puter a couple weeks back where google searches got redirected behind the scenes... Was a PITA to remove and hid REALLY REALLY well

Quote Originally Posted by User Name View Post
    are you talking about "sponsored links"? I just ignore that BS.
    No doubt. How do you proceed to where you were headed? I can't find any way to skip the ad (or even respond to it somehow) and head on to the link I picked in the search.

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mbearer View Post
    Sounds more like a rootkit I removed off of someones puter a couple weeks back where google searches got redirected behind the scenes... Was a PITA to remove and hid REALLY REALLY well
    I'd have to agree, google doesn't do that to me on my pc.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

I really hate Micro$oft. I'm an old Linux guy and only recently started using these detestable windows boxes. Didn't have these virus/worm problems with Linux, for the most part, and they were easy to locate and fix if one showed up. Now it's a nightmare. I had to remove some crap a few months back and it took me all morning. I pity non-computer people who would have to deal with it.

I'll see what I can locate. You're probably right, though, since I don't think I've noticed it on the laptop in the other room. sigh. I don't have time for this crap.

I really hate Micro$oft. I'm an old Linux guy and only recently started using these detestable windows boxes. Didn't have these virus/worm problems with Linux, for the most part, and they were easy to locate and fix if one showed up. Now it's a nightmare. I had to remove some crap a few months back and it took me all morning. I pity non-computer people who would have to deal with it.

I'll see what I can locate. You're probably right, though, since I don't think I've noticed it on the laptop in the other room. sigh. I don't have time for this crap.
    If it ISN'T a root kit just regular scum ware Malwarebytes and get the free scanner.. AWESOME tool... and it does a great job

If it is still doing it... I ussually have really good luck with GMER GMER - Rootkit Detector and Remover

Good luck If I wasn't going to no connection land I would offer to remote in and help ya out, but I leave for nowhereville early tomorrow AM
    Mike

If it ISN'T a root kit just regular scum ware Malwarebytes and get the free scanner.. AWESOME tool... and it does a great job

If it is still doing it... I ussually have really good luck with GMER GMER - Rootkit Detector and Remover

Good luck If I wasn't going to no connection land I would offer to remote in and help ya out, but I leave for nowhereville early tomorrow AM
    Mike
    The GMER completely crashed my system using the random named .exe. Sigh. At least it came back up without being totally hosed.

Thanks for the pointers, though! The crud I had to scrape off before was installed via a fake Adobe update popup out of Firefox. Very deceptive, looks like the real thing! Won't be doing THAT again! Don't know where I could have picked this up. Doesn't seem to be too damaging at this point, but who knows. sigh. I really hate Micro$haft. Braindead.

The crud I had to scrape off before was installed via a fake Adobe update popup out of Firefox.
    Ah. That explains why that keeps popping up; I'm glad I kept putting it off...

Mike
    Mike, I had to RG you for the first malware site you linked. I've known for a wile that there was crap on my pc running in the background. I could never figure out how to get rid of it. If I went into my task manager I could see these unknown programs running and shut them down that way, but I would have to do this ever time I rebooted. I ran that program from that site, it found 17 different things on my PC that my AVG had missed, and removed them. Now none of that sh*t is running on my task manager and this crappy Acer notebook is actually fast, it actually acts like it has the 4 gigs of ram I had put on it.

So many many thanks my friend.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Awesome Shannen It's a great program and those guys really keep up on it. Most anti-virus software misses malware and the crapware and Malwarebytes just focuses on removing that crap and giving you your machine back. Atleast once a month I would recommend updating it and giving it a quick run. This will also make sure you have newer dats in case you DO get infected with something that blocks their update site (I update every week on the wife's machine she is THAT good...)

Just remember too, the free version does NOT do active scanning or prevention so you DO need to run it manually to have it do anything if you start seeing slow downs again

Glad it worked out for you

Puffer Fish with some spikes skydvejam's Avatar

LOL, any update should be done directly from the vendors website. There are settings in FF to correct those issues, but if FF is tossing you a update popup for Acrobat, you most likely already have had a drive by infestation. There are several nastys out there anymore for mainstream software, granted Firefox is more secure at this moment then IE.
    Good luck to you, and hopefully you have your data backed up incase it winds up being a Fdisk type of fix. I know I have done quite a few of those as well, those root kits can be a true PITA...
    If you do have everything backed up, you might just look at doing a fresh install, yes it is a pain, but honestly, even if you fix the url redirect issue, are you sure you do not have a keylogger, and network snooper on that machine?

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be sure to stay on top of it.

Seriously thank you, this computer is running better than it did when it was new.

I'll give that Malwarebytes a shot in the morning. Muchas gracias!

I could be wrong about the Adobe update from Firefox. I was just trying to figure out how it got there. I've heard that some real common spots, like the online dictionaries and currency calculators and so forth, are places to get infested. It was a post hoc, propter hoc guess; the Adobe was the last thing I had given permission to run and I don't run updates in general. Make that "likely wrong".

I must say, the gmer site whacked the computer a good one! The poor thing was displaying stars on the reboot it went down so hard. Must admit I was a bit worried there for a few minutes. Hopefully the Malwarebytes will run a bit better.

I'd like to thank all you guys for chipping in on this!

Jim

Puffer Fish with some spikes skydvejam's Avatar

Yep, updates are important, about 90% of them are to fix security loopholes, and the other 10% is for both functionality and stability updates.
    Another useful tool, and one that the unit I am with allows us to use on our machines is Lavasofts Ad-Aware. Great free tool that will help to avoid a lot of issues on your machine, and will also clean quite a few of them.

Full grown Puffer Fish

anyone see that pathetic boxing on epix. disappointing, and with that style of fighting nowadays i believe buster douglas (remember him?) or mike tyson just may be the next champ

I've just had to license myself as a Motor Vehicle repairer, being allowed to carry out only certain classes of repairs. I had to get a Police Clearance, prove my identity & prove I hold qualifications in my trade that the govt certified me for in the first place. Then a "board" decides whether I am fit to work in the motor vehicle field, doing what I have been doing all my life! Oh yes, I had to pay just under $900 for three years licensing as well. WTF?!?!!!! Over regulated? Never.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast