Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Random Rant Thread

This is a discussion on Random Rant Thread within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Nachman I usually drive five MPH over the speed limit, which makes me the slowest thing on ...

Re: Random Rant Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    I usually drive five MPH over the speed limit, which makes me the slowest thing on the road here.
    Pretty much the ideal speed. Not fast enough to make it worthwhile to give you a ticket, but fast enough to maintain your sanity.

Oddly, people drive way too slow around here, for the most part, and it's not just old farts. Even the teenagers are slow rollers, like 5 or 10 mph below the speed limit. I guess you can't drive but so fast while texting, right?
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

My random rant is my Secret Santa hasn't made my post yet.

Last edited by Troutman22; 12-04-2011 at 03:36 AM.
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    "An historical." Drives me NUTS!! It's "a historical" if you pronounce the "h", although I'll let it slide if you elide the "h". "An hhhissstorical" is so ignorant, so annoying, so grating, that anyone writing news copy should be fired immediately for using it and any announcer who doesn't correct it on the fly should go out the door with the writer. (I'm with the inestimable Edwin Newman on this, so I'm in good company!) For me, it ranks even higher than "between you and I" on the Bad Grammar and Mispronunciation Irritation Gradient. Criminal.
    Just saw this. Yes. I can't stand people that can't speak a language. Pick one, learn it. We aren't all good at everything but proficiency isn't too much to ask. I speak English proficiently. My Norwegian is mostly slang and simple diction. But I'm not a linguaphile.

When I hear people on the news or in any reputable or professional forum use poor grammar, I just feel sick. When speaking is your job, it better be your skill too. I have no desire to see John Slattery in a boxing match. So excuse me when I comment about Mike Tyson swaying nervously while he reads his cue card on The Hangover.

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    Just saw this. Yes. I can't stand people that can't speak a language. Pick one, learn it. We aren't all good at everything but proficiency isn't too much to ask. I speak English proficiently. My Norwegian is mostly slang and simple diction. But I'm not a linguaphile.
    And then there's the "wrong word" syndrome, and not merely the misuse of some arcane word they've chosen from a list of synonyms to spice up the copy. Just ran across a news item noting a rise in prospects for a candidate: "In the last Register poll -- released in late October -- he was at seven percent." Wrong. He was at seven percent in the previous poll! The last poll is the one they are reporting! (Yeah, I know. People use "last" this way all the time. Another sign that civilization is crumbling.)

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    And then there's the "wrong word" syndrome, and not merely the misuse of some arcane word they've chosen from a list of synonyms to spice up the copy. Just ran across a news item noting a rise in prospects for a candidate: "In the last Register poll -- released in late October -- he was at seven percent." Wrong. He was at seven percent in the previous poll! The last poll is the one they are reporting! (Yeah, I know. People use "last" this way all the time. Another sign that civilization is crumbling.)
    I hate when I don't notice these things. I get so desensitized by everyone else's incorrect word usage. If I EVER misspeak, I expect you to correct me, Jim!

Deviant Gentleman The Mad Professor's Avatar

Oh dear, I just spent 15 minutes saying "an historical/a historical" over and over to see which one I use... At least I would never write "an historical"
    The Mad Professor's Pipes Page.................. .................My modest TobaccoCellar....................................Product Design Portfolio(shameless plug)

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Professor View Post
    Oh dear, I just spent 15 minutes saying "an historical/a historical" over and over to see which one I use... At least I would never write "an historical"
    Pronouncing it "an 'istorical" is fine with me -- as long as you DO leave out the aitch! When the speaker bends over backward to "get it right" and puts in the aspiration, I want to run amok and maim and kill at random. Writing it "an historical" is definitely a no-no, unless it's in dialogue, where it could be "an 'istorical".

Standard pronunciations change. Practically all aitches were elided in the "King's/Queen's" English a few hundred years ago. Many "h" words were spoken without sounding the "h", so we see them written in old books with nu movable, as -- tada -- "an historical"! Broadcast English pronounces the aitch in most words beginning with it, so there should be no nu movable. It's basic Indo-European, not merely English! People have gotten it right for thousands of years, in hundreds of languages, but suddenly have lost the knack in the US!
    Last edited by freestoke; 12-05-2011 at 08:58 AM.

"THEN" and "THAN"

when did they become interchangeable??

Quote Originally Posted by ejgarnut View Post
    "THEN" and "THAN"

when did they become interchangeable??
    Your, you're, they're there, their, etc. Screw anyone with an education that makes those mistakes past 5th grade. The only excuse for making that mistake is a lack of education (which there is no problem with, some people's lack of education is because of circumstance).

And borrow vs. lend. It takes every ounce of self control to not scream myself hoarse when my mother asks me to "borrow her a piece of gum." I've told her a seemingly infinite amount of times to say "lend me a piece of gum." She refuses to acquiesce.

How about the inability to distinguish between to, too and two.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish mmiller's Avatar

Being a college student it really frustrates me when people talk throughout the whole class, people are paying for school to listen to what the professors have to say not what stupid thing somebody's roommate did over the weekend, people need to grow up, they are in a place of higher education not middle school...
    Pipes, Cigars and Snuff

Full grown Puffer Fish Sam_Wheat's Avatar

Calling customer service and getting the automated answering service who doesn't understand you then transfers you to several different and wrong areas. Then, when they finally get it right you're put on hold forever.
    " ... But real men -- real men prefer their women like pipes. They knock them gently and care for them always. No man shares his pipes!"

Full grown Puffer Fish Sam_Wheat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman22 View Post
    My random rant is my Secret Santa hasn't made my post yet.

Man, that's no bueno! Santa???????? Where art thou?
    " ... But real men -- real men prefer their women like pipes. They knock them gently and care for them always. No man shares his pipes!"

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    YI've told her a seemingly infinite amount of times to say "lend me a piece of gum." She refuses to acquiesce.
    Look, Kyle, it's your MOTHER. Just GIVE her a stinking piece of gum, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by mmiller View Post
    Being a college student it really frustrates me when people talk throughout the whole class, people are paying for school to listen to what the professors have to say not what stupid thing somebody's roommate did over the weekend, people need to grow up, they are in a place of higher education not middle school...
    Exactly! It pretty easy to figure out who's parents are funding their education. Look around, the people who are talking either have generous parents or hefty scholarships. Paying tuition these days is a reeeaallly quick way to shut a person up.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast