Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another Puffer returns

This is a discussion on Another Puffer returns within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; After slipping and shattering my wrist the end of last May, I didn't spend much time online and let my ...

Another Puffer returns

After slipping and shattering my wrist the end of last May, I didn't spend much time online and let my participation in this forum lapse. Months of painful physical therapy which I completed after the first of the year solved most of my problems. I then started back at the "Y". Before the accident, I could bicep curl 33 lbs. When I started back at the "Y", I could do 5 reps of 2 lbs. with my left arm. I'm back up to 25 lbs., 25 reps which is all my wrist will take for now. I learned way more about "CRPS" (which happens 2-5% of the time with broken extremities) than I ever wanted to know.

I missed all my oil field work (and income last year) as the accident occurred a week before I was to leave for Montana for a four well job. That, along with having paid the $24,000 health insurance premium with $10,000 deductible had me kind of down in the dumps. Since I healed up, I did four wells but, since I'll be 65 in a week and find it harder and harder to work 24 hours/day for a week or two, sleeping in 30-60 minute increments (with a luxurious 6-8 hours of sleep when they break down or "trip" pipe), I decided the other day to retire again (especially since I'm now on Medicare and my medical costs will be 10% of what it was.) I guess I turned into a pansy in my old age.

I'm looking forward to once again fly fishing and backpacking in the Bighorn mountains, shooting my pistol in our steel plate competitions and, to celebrate regaining around 98% use of my left hand, playing the banjo that I bought a few months ago. It's been 55 years since I played the piano and the banjo is certainly a challenge but fun. A lot more fun than putting on cold weather gear and walking out to the "shaker table" every 30-60 minutes to collect drill chip samples when the wind chill is 20-30 below , that's for sure!

Retired, corn cob pipe, banjo and a missing tooth (which is getting fixed tomorrow). I feel like I've arrived!

WyoBob

I saw a post on another forum about this scam and checked it out on Snopes. I haven't seen anything about this on this forum so-------

WyoBob

WyoBob

Re: Another Puffer returns

Welcome back!!
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

I hope I never break my wrist; I'd miss sex.

But seriously, welcome back!
    ********.com

Welcome back nice to see another long time member
    PINK is the new BLACK

Welcome back, and I can't help but notice the cowboy action shooting flyer on your filing cabinet. SASS?

And fly fishing whereabouts? It's one of my missing afflictions - haven't had time to sling a line since I've been back in school. My family came west and homesteaded central Montana - particularly around Lewistown and Fergus county to the Flathead area. Cut my roll-casting teeth on Big Spring Creek out of Lewistown before I moved here to the Yakima area. The canyon is nice, but I prefer the small stream fly fishing that I grew up with in southwest Washington state.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Bob! Welcome back!!!! Hope you enjoy your retirement!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Variables's Avatar

I had the same contraption on my right arm resulting from a rollerblading accident. Therapy did indeed suck, and while I have gained all my strength back on my right arm, I still cannot bend it enough to do push ups.

Welcome back!

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    Welcome back, and I can't help but notice the cowboy action shooting flyer on your filing cabinet. SASS?

And fly fishing whereabouts? It's one of my missing afflictions - haven't had time to sling a line since I've been back in school. My family came west and homesteaded central Montana - particularly around Lewistown and Fergus county to the Flathead area. Cut my roll-casting teeth on Big Spring Creek out of Lewistown before I moved here to the Yakima area. The canyon is nice, but I prefer the small stream fly fishing that I grew up with in southwest Washington state.
    I don't SASS but have friends that do and I go to their matches and watch. Single action handguns don't work with my hands anymore and it is costly to get set up for cowboy shooting. A 1911 is about the only handgun I can shoot well with anymore so I shoot steel plates (and win a good percentage of the time.)

I haven't backpacked or fly fished much for the last 5-6 years as my job as an independent contractor in the oil/gas business required that I stay within cell phone range. I'm looking forward to spending a lot of time in the Cloudpeak wilderness area this summer.
    WyoBob

Quote Originally Posted by Variables View Post
    I had the same contraption on my right arm resulting from a rollerblading accident. Therapy did indeed suck, and while I have gained all my strength back on my right arm, I still cannot bend it enough to do push ups.

Welcome back!
    The external fixture wasn't too much of a problem. It's nice to be able to scratch any itch which isn't possible with a cast. My wrist was so messed up that there was no way to screw it back together internally. They inserted probes under live x-ray and moved things into position and then screwed the apparatus down to hold things in position. The broken wrist wasn't a problem when compared to the CRPS. The CRPS was a big problem! I slept in a recliner for two months so I could rest my arm on the armrest and, due to the CRPS, could not tolerate any cover over my arm as it was very painful.

I'll never be able to do a pushup but there's enough equipment at the "Y" that I can use it to help get back to as close as normal as possible. I can cast a fly, shoot a pistol and play a banjo which I thought I would never be able to do again. I'm very grateful for the skilled surgeon who put me back together.
    WyoBob

YIKES...and welcome back!
    The cake is a lie!

Welcome Back Bro!
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by WyoBob View Post
    I saw a post on another forum about this scam and checked it out on Snopes. I haven't seen anything about this on this forum so-------

WyoBob
    Am I the only one that doesn't get this?
    Cigars for the Troops -donatecigars4troops@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by DSturg369 View Post
    Welcome Back Bro!
    Back at ya, pardner!
    WyoBob

Quote Originally Posted by E Dogg View Post
    Am I the only one that doesn't get this?

Whoops. I guess I forgot the link: snopes.com: Package Delivery Virus
    WyoBob

#1 McClelland apologist Contrabass Bry's Avatar

We welcome you back with open arm...

Good to hear from you again! Keep a'pickin and a'grinnin!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast