Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bozo backed into my truck aqnd drove away rant.

This is a discussion on Bozo backed into my truck aqnd drove away rant. within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; OK. Almost three and a half months ago a dude from Texas (in his nineties) backed into the drivers door ...

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Bozo backed into my truck aqnd drove away rant.

OK.

Almost three and a half months ago a dude from Texas (in his nineties) backed into the drivers door of my truck, and drove away without even getting outta his truck and looking.

The door is badly smashed, with the bottom and the top of the door peeled away from the door jamb. During my morning work commute I'm dealing with teens and single digit temperatures rushing around my door. I've tried to apply weatherstripping to little avail.

When it first happened the Marshal asked me if I wanted to press "hit and run" charges. I told the Marshal to talk to him first, if he was gonna be friendly and helpful, not to press charges.

He convinced the marshal he was gonna work with us, BUT he let the Marshal call for more than a month before the marshal got ahold of him, he let me call for about three weeks (never returning my calls) before I got ahold of him, and now I find he told his insurance that he did no damage to my truck and the claim is in dispute!

I got some legal advice, and was told that if I press hit and run charges and wait for him to get busted then I can go to small claims court and have a civil judgement made against his insurance company. I was told that all I would need is the papers from the criminal charges, the accident report, and either pictures of my truck, or my truck out in the parkinglot for the judge to look at. I was told that NM small claims court judges tend to not let the insurance company even talk about civil charges once there has been a bust on criminal charges.

I'm the one who got screwed here. So, why is this all making me feel so creepy? I don't wanna get some old dude in his 90's busted on criminal charges!

I have an appointment with the Marshal tomorrow evening... maybe he can call the old dude and talk some sense into him.

Re: Bozo backed into my truck aqnd drove away rant.

Look at it this way, the old dude is a creep and probably has been getting away with this stuff for years. He knew ALL ALONG he wasn't gonna play nice, and thought he could scam you and the cops into giving up. If he was 60, or 40 or 30 would you let him get away with it? Heck no. Just because the guy is old doesn't mean he isn't a bad person. Drop the hammer on him.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

When an accident is involved and you are not at fault. ALWAYS get the police involved.

With the amount auto repairs cost now a days you can't afford to give someone the benefit of the doubt anymore.
    Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Deuce Da Masta's Avatar

Michigan is a no fault insurance state(if the accident is not our fault our deductible is waived anyway) so this wouldnt happen to me, but i could understand your conundrum. I think he feels you would just eventually go away because hes elderly. And if you dont maybe he just doesnt care, he is 90....

Good luck

I'm watching you.

you and i were brought up with the culture of respecting the viejitos no matter who they belonged to. That's what makes this feel creepy. But the viejos used to respect us back and do right by everyone. This guy isn't so don't let him slide!
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

I hear ya Jessica. It just makes me sad.

The dude is in his 90's and I wanted to do "the right thing". Oh well.

Things have changed so much since I was a kid. I'm only middle aged! I'm too young to be moaning about the "good ole days".

It's time for a glass of gin, a huge bowl of Hamborger Veermaster, and some manic, happy, psycho music played WAY too loud! Time for Wayne Hancock and his jazzy, western swingish, psychobilly rock!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Sorry for your troubles hope you get results!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by David_ESM View Post
    When an accident is involved and you are not at fault. ALWAYS get the police involved.

With the amount auto repairs cost now a days you can't afford to give someone the benefit of the doubt anymore.
    I can't tell you how many people could benefit from this advice! I've taken literally hundreds of reports over the years from folks who tried to "Be nice" after what appeared to be a fender bender until the other party decided to renege or even beat feet all together. Without an initial report from the police, you are doomed...
    “A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores". - Maxwell Q. Klinger - Mash 4077

I have the police report, that's been done. What is feeling creepy to me is I'm being told by a lawyer to let the Marshal charge him with hit and run (like the Marshal initally wanted to). The lawyer is telling me that seing as how he's claming he didn't hit my truck or do any damage to my truck, and he and the insurance company (Geico) are dragging thir feet (3.5 months in and we are JUST getting started) that I should let the marshal charge him with hit and run.

I have the initial police report, I have a witness, the lawyer says a criminal conviction for hit and run on my parked truck will make a civil case small claims court appearance a cakewalk for me.

I just feel creeped out getting some old dude in his 90's busted for hit and run. I don't see any other solution though.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    I have the police report, that's been done. What is feeling creepy to me is I'm being told by a lawyer to let the Marshal charge him with hit and run (like the Marshal initally wanted to). The lawyer is telling me that seing as how he's claming he didn't hit my truck or do any damage to my truck, and he and the insurance company (Geico) are dragging thir feet (3.5 months in and we are JUST getting started) that I should let the marshal charge him with hit and run.

I have the initial police report, I have a witness, the lawyer says a criminal conviction for hit and run on my parked truck will make a civil case small claims court appearance a cakewalk for me.

I just feel creeped out getting some old dude in his 90's busted for hit and run. I don't see any other solution though.
    I agree, he's not treating you or the Marshall with any respect. In other words, a dude that's trying to pawn off his criminal negligence on you.

Then again, if he truly doesn't remember it...... (I hate to say it) perhaps he shouldn't be operating a motor vehicle in the first place and is a legitimate danger to himself and others.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Baron_Null's Avatar

Had the man been cooperating with you every step of the way and then you still tried to press hit-and-run charges, I could see it being pretty jerk-ish of you. But the fact of the matter is that he's purposefully trying to screw you over by denying that he did anything wrong. HE is the one who put you in this situation. HE is the one who damaged your property. HE is the one who drove away. HE is the one who tried to claim that he did no such thing. As far as I'm concerned, he is a criminal, despite his age.

I understand the feeling of needing to respect your elders, but as far as I'm concerned, he lost all rights to that respect the moment he drove away, and reinforced that as soon as he tried to claim he did nothing wrong.

And if he honestly doesn't believe that he didn't do it, but evidence says otherwise, then he needs to get off the road. No "sorry to say it" about it. I may be a bit jaded, though, as I ride a motorcycle. However, people like that (young and old alike) almost kill me on a daily basis, and are responsible for the deaths of many others like me every year.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Press charges or you will probably have an experience like mine. I was sideswiped and run of the road by an eighteen wheeler. I chased him down honking and flashing my lights but he just wouldn't stop. got the license number and called 911. He called me after the police tracked him down. He wanted to pay for the repairs to avoid turning it in on his insurance. I got quotes and he would not call back. When I finally got a call back he said he couldn't afford it and I should have tuned it in on insurance. when I called his insurance carrier, they had never heard of him. to this day he has not been found, and that was at least ten years ago.

The guy is a scumbag that did a hit and run... what more did you expect from him? In AZ you must have a police report to file an insurance claim so it is a no-brainer here. I'm sure that law has nothing to do with the state wanting their piece of the pie by always giving a ticket out for every single fender bender.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Jogi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Null View Post
    ...But the fact of the matter is that he's purposefully trying to screw you over by denying that he did anything wrong. HE is the one who put you in this situation. HE is the one who damaged your property. HE is the one who drove away. HE is the one who tried to claim that he did no such thing. As far as I'm concerned, he is a criminal, despite his age.

I understand the feeling of needing to respect your elders, but as far as I'm concerned, he lost all rights to that respect the moment he drove away, and reinforced that as soon as he tried to claim he did nothing wrong.

And if he honestly doesn't believe that he didn't do it, but evidence says otherwise, then he needs to get off the road. No "sorry to say it" about it...
    ^^^This... Had he stopped right there, got out, apologized and promised you compensation for your trouble, then it would've been nice of you to let him go or something, not in this case... He declared himself an @-hole the moment he drove off and then lied... He needs some real disciplining I think. Go ahead with the charges I say. He won't do that to anyone else after that...

And by the way, if he's 90, he better let/get someone else to drive. Nothing against senior folks at all, but unless you've been a ninja your entire life, your reflexes/"lizard brain"/decision making tend to lose their edge at such an advance age...

I hope this gets sorted out to your benefit Mark...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

He hasn't been using the time you have given him to try and make it right. He is using this time to ruin your case and the posibility you will ever be compensated. What are you waiting for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast