Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Christopher Tolkien - Rare Interview

This is a discussion on Christopher Tolkien - Rare Interview within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; As many of the Tolkien fans among us know, JRR's son Christopher rare gives interviews or talks about the Tolkien ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Christopher Tolkien - Rare Interview

As many of the Tolkien fans among us know, JRR's son Christopher rare gives interviews or talks about the Tolkien estate, film rights, etc. Here's an article from LaMonde in which he does do so. I thought some of the Tolkien fans out there might enjoy it.

My Father's "Eviscerated" Work - Son Of Hobbit Scribe J.R.R. Tolkien Finally Speaks Out -

“The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Maturing Puffer Fish Pipe Pastor's Avatar

Re: Christopher Tolkien - Rare Interview

very interesting read.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Fraze's Avatar

Thanks for the link.

I can't help but come away with feeling like Christopher has a case of the Sour Grapes.

I don't want to think that, but thats the feel I get.

It's too bad that copyright/licensing doesn't keep up with new technology. The Tolkien family, despite the money they've made, deserve their share of what's being generated now.

Thanks for sharing this, John.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Thanks for posting this - it was an interesting read. I was pleasantly surprised with Children of Huron after The Silmarillion, which was not an easy read. I would like to see more of his father's work - hopefully he will have more of it for us.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

I'm watching you.

I get that sour grape feeling, too.

II had a nice long discussion geared towards literary analysis with my 12 year old son. He's read The Hobbit, but not the LOTR yet. I was really inspired and surprised with his grasp of the concepts with LOTR, just by seeing the movies. Concepts like friendship being stronger than any one task, using your "gifts" for the right reasons, overcoming fear and self-doubt, what it means to be a leader, how industry can affect keeping your life good and simple, why self-reflection is important-- I could go on and on.

I think C. Tolkien isn't giving the movies enough credit. Yes, I know important things were cut out, but to tell a story and make it flow, sometimes elements that side track that story don't translate well to the screen, and certainly not even in 3.5 hours like the extended editions.
    "Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Puffer Fish with some spikes Fraze's Avatar

I agree, not only that, they completely sold the rights to all the movies, then it makes a ton of money, and their like "well maybe we're entitled to some $ anyway, lets sue".

Quote Originally Posted by jphank View Post
    I get that sour grape feeling, too.

II had a nice long discussion geared towards literary analysis with my 12 year old son. He's read The Hobbit, but not the LOTR yet. I was really inspired and surprised with his grasp of the concepts with LOTR, just by seeing the movies. Concepts like friendship being stronger than any one task, using your "gifts" for the right reasons, overcoming fear and self-doubt, what it means to be a leader, how industry can affect keeping your life good and simple, why self-reflection is important-- I could go on and on.

I think C. Tolkien isn't giving the movies enough credit. Yes, I know important things were cut out, but to tell a story and make it flow, sometimes elements that side track that story don't translate well to the screen, and certainly not even in 3.5 hours like the extended editions.
    Kind of relighting an older thread i stumbled on here.

But i want to say I am so inspired by your post Jessica. I dream about the day I'll be able to read the hobbit to my possible son or daughter. To see them experince it for the first time, as I have forgotten my first reaction over the years.

To add to the review conversation. I do feel that C. Tolkein is being a little sour about the movies. Peter jackson has been very true to the material but also has to make a movie that an American demographic will still find entertaining. While condensing a ton of source material. Also, while watching a lot of the behinds the scenes and reading a lot of the loose leaf work of JRR Tolkein, I get the feel that the man truly felt his work was constantly misunderstood. That people thought he was trying to draw comparisons to current events in the world wars. I kind of feel like Christopher is trying to stick to this persona... or attitude that his father had regarding the publishing of his books.
    Either way, I applaud Peter Jackson on his movies. He has given a face and a voice to the characters I loved so much in my childhood.