Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Tolkien’s Unfinished Epic Poem, ‘The Fall of Arthur’, Published

This is a discussion on Tolkien’s Unfinished Epic Poem, ‘The Fall of Arthur’, Published within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Thought some of my fellow Tolkien fans would find this of interest: Tolkien...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Tolkien’s Unfinished Epic Poem, ‘The Fall of Arthur’, Published

Thought some of my fellow Tolkien fans would find this of interest: Tolkien
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Re: Tolkien’s Unfinished Epic Poem, ‘The Fall of Arthur’, Published

Very Interesting.

Confession time: I've read both The Hobbit and LOTR more times than I can count (and I can usually remember up to ten, so it's more than that!), but The Silmarillion cured me of being a Tolkien completist...
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Confession time: I've read both The Hobbit and LOTR more times than I can count (and I can usually remember up to ten, so it's more than that!), but The Silmarillion cured me of being a Tolkien completist...
    Rofl! Must have been one bad book.

Tolkien fan that I am, The Silmarillion is a little (all right, a lot) too dense for me (and I even enjoy reading much of the academic literature and non-fiction on Tolkien) so I've read sections but never worked all the way through it. I don't think JRR would mind though. As he said about having The Silmarillion published, "I desired to do this for my own satisfaction, and I had little hope that other people would be interested in this work... When those whose advice and opinion I sought corrected little hope to no hope, I went back to the sequel..." and luckily for us he did and LOTR was the result.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
    Tolkien fan that I am, The Silmarillion is a little (all right, a lot) too dense for me (and I even enjoy reading much of the academic literature and non-fiction on Tolkien) so I've read sections but never worked all the way through it. I don't think JRR would mind though. As he said about having The Silmarillion published, "I desired to do this for my own satisfaction, and I had little hope that other people would be interested in this work... When those whose advice and opinion I sought corrected little hope to no hope, I went back to the sequel..." and luckily for us he did and LOTR was the result.
    Loved the movies but havn't read the books I think it may be time.

For me, the most eye opening thing about the Silmarillion is that the whole epic of the Lord of the Rings is like one page in that book. Really gave you the impression of the depth of the whole world he created, and for me that was my main takeaway. Its not something I've read more than once lol.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewV View Post
    Loved the movies but havn't read the books I think it may be time.
    If you enjoyed the movies, I'd most certainly suggest you at least try the books. You'll probably enjoy them and find it interesting that changes PJ made for the movies.

If you enjoyed the movies, I'd most certainly suggest you at least try the books. You'll probably enjoy them and find it interesting that changes PJ made for the movies.
    I'm going to have to now! It was the same with the Harry Potter series, with movies so much gets left out, now I need to know.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewV View Post
    I'm going to have to now! It was the same with the Harry Potter series, with movies so much gets left out, now I need to know.
    You are certainly right about leaving things out, which he had to do for sure. And he did add in a few things as well, and combined a couple of characters, etc, which irritated the purists, but most of which I think were probably necessary in the transition from book to movie. One thing I found a bit out of place was the dwarf tossing business with Gimli at HD, but given Jackson's NZ background I can kind of see him wanting to add it as a bit of a joke. You'll also notice how Aragorn is much more torn and uncertain in the movie than in the book and that huge sections of the books are left out of the movie (Tom Bombadil, The Scouring of the Shire, etc) so you have much new stuff to discover. Still, I love the books and I loved the movie. So many of the scenes leap to life right from the novel, at least for me. Hell, I'd have paid the price of admission just to watch the scenes where Aragorn finds Pippin's broach ("Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall"), Gandalf on the bridge in the Mines of Moria facing the Balrog, where Sam carries Frodo up Mt Doom, the charge of the Rohirrim at Minas Tirith, Aragorn before the Black Gate ("A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"), and where Eowyn takes off her helm ("I am no man!") which to me are just as I'd always imagined them. And there are so many more scenes of which I could say the same. I look forward to hearing your opinions as you have a chance to read the book.
    Last edited by indigosmoke; 06-04-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    After trying to read the Silmarillion as a teenager i gave up on it too. I tried again last summer and really enjoyed it.
    “ I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. ”— Kenneth Clark

You are certainly right about leaving things out, which he had to do for sure. And he did add in a few things as well, and combined a couple of characters, etc, which irritated the purists, but most of which I think were probably necessary in the transition from book to movie. One thing I found a bit out of place was the dwarf tossing business with Gimli at HD, but given Jackson's NZ background I can kind of see him wanting to add it as a bit of a joke. You'll also notice how Aragorn is much more torn and uncertain in the movie than in the book and that huge sections of the books are left out of the movie (Tom Bombadil, The Scouring of the Shire, etc) so you have much new stuff to discover. Still, I love the books and I loved the movie. So many of the scenes leap to life right from the novel, at least for me. Hell, I'd have paid the price of admission just to watch the scenes where Aragorn finds Pippin's broach ("Not idly do the leaves of Lorien fall"), Gandalf on the bridge in the Mines of Moria facing the Balrog, where Sam carries Frodo up Mt Doom, the charge of the Rohirrim at Minas Tirith, Aragorn before the Black Gate ("A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. An hour of woes and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!"), and where Eowyn takes off her helm ("I am no man!") which to me are just as I'd always imagined them. And there are so many more scenes of which I could say the same. I look forward to hearing your opinions as you have a chance to read the book.
    Getting so excited now! I especially loved the part at the end of the third movie when they were surrounded and had to make the distraction, and Aragorn just looks around at his men and says for Frodo, then turns and alone.. runs at that horde of orks. Not embarrassed to say that part brought tears to my eyes, and to top it all off it all off it was the two hobbits that came right behind him. So legit!

Young Fish

Its probably been more than 10 years since i last read the hobbit. its on my "to read again" shelf and up next in line!