Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Six more weeks, this sucks- giveaway

This is a discussion on Six more weeks, this sucks- giveaway within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; On 27APR13 I had a motorcycle accident. Broke my ankle and had to have surgery. Today was the five week ...

Six more weeks, this sucks- giveaway

On 27APR13 I had a motorcycle accident. Broke my ankle and had to have surgery. Today was the five week check up.

Good news and bad news. The good news is that I am healing very well. The bad news is that because I am a giant things is going to go the full 12 weeks. In mortals they would have only put one of the lower two screws in. On 15 AUG I get the two large screws out and they replace them with two smaller ones the same size at the upper seven in order to permanently support the plate. I am allowed to stand on it but cannot walk since when you walk the two bones move independently of each other and could shear the screws off and the tendon between the two bones would become detached again. After the screws are changed out it will be load bearing as tolerated. So I will likely not be back on my bike and back to work until the end of AUG instead of the beginning of JUL that I had dreamed of. I want to thank everyone for their ongoing support, prayers, visits, and well wishes. I am trying to keep high spirits, but this just sucks. You know it sucks when all you can say is that it could have been worse.

The rough part is that I have a family of five and am self employed. Things are a bit tight. The cigars and pipe baccy I have saved up and Netflix are keeping me from killing someone. I have always found that the best thing to do when you are down is to think of others. So, I make these things out of parachute cord called Worry Leashes. Kinda like Worry Stones if yo are familiar. Basically a mindfulness tool for people going through rough times. When you get overwhelmed you pull out your Worry Leash and rub it with your thumb, and think just for a minute that someone cared enough to make it for you. Sometimes that is all it takes to reset the fuse box. So, lets do 10 of these. If you, or someone you know is having a rough time of it, email me at mercop27@gmail.com. I need their address and favorite color. I have lots of colors of paracord laying around. I know we have a contest area, but I just want to give these away. Mods, if I am out of line please let me know. Thanks for the camaraderie. - George

[IMG][/IMG]

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Re: Six more weeks, this sucks- giveaway

Sorry to hear about the injury, but I'm glad yer healing well.

I'll add ya to my prayer list.

I'm sorry to hear about the accident, George. Glad it was just the ankle and that you are on a path to recover (even though not as fast as you'd hoped)!

Thanks guys, it is very appreciated.- George

Ugh man sorry things aren't progressing as fast as you would have liked.
    But wow what a sense of humor and giving spirit!
    You'll come out just fine I'm 100% sure!
    Good from!

Man can I relate! I've been on the bench off and on since 2007 with a combination of stuff. Back in 94 I rode a 3 story block wall I was building on a very windy day. It went down with me on it. Too much broken to list but I was warned it would come back to haunt me.
    It did, right in vertebrae c3 to c5 which got crunched in the fall.
    Other stuff like neuropathy and osteo arthritis plague me.
    My point is that you have an excellent attitude and after the physical therapy you will be back on the road. Time seems to slow down when you lose the physical ability you had before. Spending your time doing b what you described is awesome and it must speed up your days right?
    Being a mason I carve stuff on the good days. I'm working on some ash tray designs that I am hoping to create and give away. I've made a handful of worry stones too. I like to carve into the smooth b side in Latin, " memor respiro " meaning to " remember to breathe" when your stressed and holding your breathe.
    Thanks for posting your story it's a poignant reminder that situations change in life but not a good outlook if you dare to hope and give of yourself no matter what.
    Shalom and God bless brother, Craig
    Ring bump to you friend :-D

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery May GOD Bless!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by madbricky View Post
    Man can I relate! I've been on the bench off and on since 2007 with a combination of stuff. Back in 94 I rode a 3 story block wall I was building on a very windy day. It went down with me on it. Too much broken to list but I was warned it would come back to haunt me.
    It did, right in vertebrae c3 to c5 which got crunched in the fall.
    Other stuff like neuropathy and osteo arthritis plague me.
    My point is that you have an excellent attitude and after the physical therapy you will be back on the road. Time seems to slow down when you lose the physical ability you had before. Spending your time doing b what you described is awesome and it must speed up your days right?
    Being a mason I carve stuff on the good days. I'm working on some ash tray designs that I am hoping to create and give away. I've made a handful of worry stones too. I like to carve into the smooth b side in Latin, " memor respiro " meaning to " remember to breathe" when your stressed and holding your breathe.
    Thanks for posting your story it's a poignant reminder that situations change in life but not a good outlook if you dare to hope and give of yourself no matter what.
    Shalom and God bless brother, Craig
    Ring bump to you friend :-D
    Wow, no doubt you know where I am at. Sometimes when I tell people my life story they say that I should write a book. Just a glimpse, on 24JUN07 my Mom wrecked her brand new Harley Sportster. She broke every bone in her face, TBI, collapsed both lungs, broke several ribs, and totaled T5. She was not supposed to make it but did. Now she is paralyzed from the waist down. She also has a completely different personality. My Dad, also disabled takes care of her. They have been married 43 years. When someone sets those examples for you, you cannot give up.- George
    Last edited by mercop; 06-16-2013 at 04:08 PM.

I'm sorry that it's healing slowly, but I'm glad it's healing! I've had a chronic mononucleolus infection that has prevented me from being active for the last 3 years, despite being in the supposed prime of my life. Waiting for your body to take care of things can be very frustrating, as we have very little control over it. Being ill or hurt is a constant test of one's patience, and you obviously have a great strategy for dealing with it.

If I knew anybody from puff well enough personally I might have some suggestions, but as of right now I don't. This is an awesome idea though - very considerate! I can see how a worry leash could be very effective in putting things in perspective.

One going out to a Brother today in Toxic Green

[IMG][/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Puffer Fish with some spikes ch3rrytw1st's Avatar

Thank you for bringing my attention to this thread. I'll take you up on your offer (PM).

I have a post in General Discussion about my recent struggles and find your thread helpful and inspiring.

Hang in there brother!

Warm Regards,

John

Got a few more of these going out tomorrow. I started doing them years ago and my Dad would give them out at the VA as he is part of Rolling Thunder. When I make them for individuals I say a prayer or kind thoughts (however you want to think about it, I say prayers). It makes me feel good to make and send these out.- George

How about an update? How's the ankle?