Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

This drives me crazy!!

This is a discussion on This drives me crazy!! within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I rarely use cash. I have one of those cards that gives you cash back so I try to use ...

This drives me crazy!!

I rarely use cash. I have one of those cards that gives you cash back so I try to use it as often as possible. It drives me crazy when I charge like $7 say for lunch and they ask for ID. I just want to say "ya, I ripped off this card and my first thought was to come here and charge $7 for lunch". ARGH!!!
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes JustinThyme's Avatar

Re: This drives me crazy!!

Its the policy of some stores to ask for ID no matter the amount. Some set different limits like $50 or $75. I would rather a card theif get busted on a $7 purchase than a $700 one. If you read up a bit you will find that most of these scumbags start with smaller purchases to "Test the waters" then go for the big bux!
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. ~Albert Einstein

I had my Amex snatched when I was in Texas and they didn't call me until 17000 bucks was charged on the card. Took 6 months to rectify. No offense but I wish someone busted this assholes balls over 7 bucks.

I guess I need to crawl out from under my rock because I would never have guessed anyone would use a stolen card for $7. I will try and enjoy the experience from now on.
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Young Puffer Fish

Before chip, policy was (at every job I've had) was to ask to see photo ID if the back is unsigned or illegible, and one place wanted us to make them sign it on the spot if it was unsigned.
    Doesn't matter to me though what the purchase was, 50 cents or a hundred bucks, I'm covering my ass.

I have often seen cashiers ask to see a card, and only look at it because they "have to". Even with the back unsigned, they just flip it over then hand it right back. Does no good, just going through the motions!

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Yeah over the years i have had cards flagged for various reasons. One was a google answers purchase for 1 dollar (not by me), obviously criminals testing the waters. One that i thought was kinda funny was the vending machine at my office takes credit cards and i had no small bills so i used my cc, that locked my card over $1.50.

While its annoying i would prefer they take the cautious approach. Granted if its a CC and not a debit card i wouldnt care as much because i would refuse to pay the charges, but its an inconvenience I am sure to refute the charges.

I think I've been fairly lucky. I use USAA and Discover and both are on the ball with unauthorized use and when they think my accounts have been stolen. I have had situations involving both companies, and they were great to work with. Very timely, and on my side the whole time!

One of the Jeep forums I'm on got hacked recently. A few days later some of the guys started posting that their credit cards were being hit with fraudulent purchases. Just to be on the safe side I called USAA and put a fraud alert on my account. Not four hours later they called me. Seems there was some "software company" that charged $7000 in purchases to my account in just minutes! After they froze the account they tried to hit me for another 10k!!!!! (I don't even have that much in my account! lol). They called me the next day and said there were 5 smaller charges just before the big charges. They wanted to know if I had purchased a those items while I was in India the day before. I said I haven't been out of the states in 8 months! They deleted those charges too. It wound up being over an hour on the phone but they gave me a new account, transferred my funds, overnighted me new cards, and gave me a years worth of "fraud protection" for free. I love USAA!