Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Who else goes 100% from the beginning?

This is a discussion on Who else goes 100% from the beginning? within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I get carried away with anything that interests me....

Re: Who else goes 100% from the beginning?

I get carried away with anything that interests me.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

I always roll hard like a M'erF'er - my friends and the rest of the world often have a hard time keeping up
    I <3 Cigars

As others have said, I am the same way. I'm about a week in and feel like I've taken a crash course in cigars. I've been reading tons online, got a few magazines read, blew through The Complete Idiot's Guide to Cigars in 2 days (and I'm a slow reader), watches two documentaries (Arturo Fuento and CAO), and been to the cigar shops 5 times since last Saturday (between 3 different shops). After seeing my friend's wineador last Thursday I've been reading up a lot on them and am very close to pulling the trigger on one. I have to say that Puff has been one of my best sources of information so far although the book was a good read for a beginning like me as well.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

I do...and it aggravates the mess out of me...and others at times!

Why I can't just "try something" is beyond me! I have, over the years, wasted so much money & time on stuff...sometimes junk, related to whatever new hobby I'm "enjoying" for the month or season. It's udderly ridiculous! It's even sad, really!

For me, it is a character flaw...hands down. For me, it's also a priority issue. I have a family with a wife and kids...of all ages. Sadly, at times, I spend more time diving into whatever said hobby than I do playing catch with my son, or watching a favorite show with one of my daughters, or teaching basic life principles to them! Don't get me wrong, I spend time with all of my family, and sometimes often...but could it be more, yes! So, that for me makes this aggravating!

Next, I'll see something that interests me...and I think I have to get everything and read everything before enjoying whatever it is. Some examples:

Rolling my own cigars, I've always been interested in the subject and one day, a few months back I decided to finally attempt it. I now have a TON of cigar leaf, a chaveta, this...that, that over there...oh, and this thingy too...all that I felt was required to roll like an old Cuban. LOL! Now, I've rolled some cigars finally...once I also moved furniture around in my shop to set up a rolling station. But, I have to say that I am now not enjoying it as much as I had hoped or thought...yet I'm out several hundreds of dollars...when here at my home, we don't have that to spare! It's sad, yet some may even ridicule me for such, that's OK...it is true! Thus, a character flaw...for me.

I could go on and on about hobbies that I dove well into...but have failed in some way. Metal detecting, or here's a real expensive one: Amateur Radio (HAM), wood working, high dollar audio equipment and headphones...and amps for those headphones, then equipment for all formats...an audiophile, LOL! I could continue, but I won't...the point is that I have wasted so much of my life, my time and resources for things that in the end, for me...sit on a shelf unused or touched! That is the sad part for me.

At least I enjoy my pipe and cigars...at least for now. The stuff sat there for about 2.5 years, untouched as I didn't care for smoking since I dipped Copenhagen every minute, until I finally quit that nasty habit!

In short...it's all about what we see in ourselves that is good, or not so good. I obviously still need to work on some priorities...and that's OK to me in the end, because its what makes me who I am!

GREAT thread @mo985 , you've added something quiet interested to Puff...so some RG for you as soon as it'll let me!

Others, you wrote some good stuff too!
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

I think the tendency to go "whole hog" into new pursuits is the sign of an active mind and imagination. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

I have a slightly different angle though - my inner cheapskate must be appeased. I've always been a common wage slave, albeit a professional one, so I'm not in survival mode. But money is a limitation, and so is time for that matter. Therefore...

Into firearms, so I keep my arsenal to a minimum and only shoot what I reload/handload.

Into cigars and pipes, so I got into rolling my own, and experimenting with homemade pipe baccy (initially as a way to make good use of cigar rolling scraps; somking some cigar scrap flake as I type).

Working on perfecting my BBQ - great cheap meals & entertaining.

Haven't got into homebrewing but wouldn't be surprised if that happens in the future.

If money and time weren't constrained, I'd probably be restoring an antique yacht or recreating King Tut's tomb in the Arizona desert

Quote Originally Posted by mo985 View Post
    One of my "fatal character flaws" IMO, is that when I get into something new, I can't just "get my feet wet". I have to jump full into it, from the beginning. I start off by reading as much as I can, then move full steam from there.

I really like pickles; I started making and canning my own.

I'm a big fan of beer. Needless to say, I'm a homebrewer now.

I have 8 different types of radio control cars, yet they all do the same basic thing.

I've contemplated growing and roasting my own coffee, I'm still in the researching phase of that one.

I started to do the same since getting into smoking a pipe, but have kept a pretty good hold on myself, so far.

Looking in on myself, I could say that I have a "bit" of an obsessive personality..........
    Does anyone else suffer from this malady? Do you combat it or just let it go? Do your friends do the same, like you surround yourself with likeminded people?
    Anyone have some good stories relating to this?
    I am like that! Whenever I get interested in something, I dive in. I have done it with many things: gardening, wine, beer, knife collecting, comic books, pipes, cigars, books, etc. I let it go unless it is interfering with more important things like my relationships, finances, etc. It definitely keeps me from boredom. I haven't found many people like this except my brother and my mother used to be like that.

Full grown Puffer Fish 455 Punch's Avatar

I am similar, but what kind of answer do you expect from anyone that belongs to a "Cigar Forum"? Let that sink in a bit and its kind of like asking your cell-mates in an insane asylum if they thing you're crazy...nah, not really, just a bit, ok maybe.

Smoking bbq, brewing, drag racing, firearms, hunting, cigars, emergency response, and the two best of all obsessions for me: being a dad, and following Jesus.
    Life's too short to smoke bad cigars.

I go overboard when I start something new. I started to play golf last year, I am not good at it at all. But I have four sets of clubs, from a 99.00 walmart set that I really like up to a 600.00 set of Titleist clubs that are made for people who are way, way better than me. I feel like I am going overboard on the cigars too. I have a 150 count humidor coming in the mail and probaly 175 to 200 cigars coming in the mail. So I prob won't use the humidor and try to find some tupperware.

Puffer Fish with some spikes dcmain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quo155 View Post
    I do...and it aggravates the mess out of me...and others at times!

Why I can't just "try something" is beyond me! I have, over the years, wasted so much money & time on stuff...sometimes junk, related to whatever new hobby I'm "enjoying" for the month or season. It's udderly ridiculous! It's even sad, really!

For me, it is a character flaw...hands down. For me, it's also a priority issue. I have a family with a wife and kids...of all ages. Sadly, at times, I spend more time diving into whatever said hobby than I do playing catch with my son, or watching a favorite show with one of my daughters, or teaching basic life principles to them! Don't get me wrong, I spend time with all of my family, and sometimes often...but could it be more, yes! So, that for me makes this aggravating!

Next, I'll see something that interests me...and I think I have to get everything and read everything before enjoying whatever it is. Some examples:

Rolling my own cigars, I've always been interested in the subject and one day, a few months back I decided to finally attempt it. I now have a TON of cigar leaf, a chaveta, this...that, that over there...oh, and this thingy too...all that I felt was required to roll like an old Cuban. LOL! Now, I've rolled some cigars finally...once I also moved furniture around in my shop to set up a rolling station. But, I have to say that I am now not enjoying it as much as I had hoped or thought...yet I'm out several hundreds of dollars...when here at my home, we don't have that to spare! It's sad, yet some may even ridicule me for such, that's OK...it is true! Thus, a character flaw...for me.

I could go on and on about hobbies that I dove well into...but have failed in some way. Metal detecting, or here's a real expensive one: Amateur Radio (HAM), wood working, high dollar audio equipment and headphones...and amps for those headphones, then equipment for all formats...an audiophile, LOL! I could continue, but I won't...the point is that I have wasted so much of my life, my time and resources for things that in the end, for me...sit on a shelf unused or touched! That is the sad part for me.

At least I enjoy my pipe and cigars...at least for now. The stuff sat there for about 2.5 years, untouched as I didn't care for smoking since I dipped Copenhagen every minute, until I finally quit that nasty habit!

In short...it's all about what we see in ourselves that is good, or not so good. I obviously still need to work on some priorities...and that's OK to me in the end, because its what makes me who I am!

GREAT thread @mo985 , you've added something quiet interested to Puff...so some RG for you as soon as it'll let me!

Others, you wrote some good stuff too!
    Wow quo155, you didn't just look at the lint in your belly button, you put it under the microscope and described the fibers.

That hit pretty close to home. The only bad part is once or twice a year I lie in bed half awake and half asleep contemplating all the money I've pissed away with this behavior over the years. Usually my mind is spinning its wheels seeking the next exciting thing to acquire or accomplish and the whole money thing is just a means to an end.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dcmain View Post
    Wow quo155, you didn't just look at the lint in your belly button, you put it under the microscope and described the fibers.

That hit pretty close to home. The only bad part is once or twice a year I lie in bed half awake and half asleep contemplating all the money I've pissed away with this behavior over the years. Usually my mind is spinning its wheels seeking the next exciting thing to acquire or accomplish and the whole money thing is just a means to an end.
    Dan, I LOVED what you wrote, that I underlined above...that was funny and true at the same time!!!
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

That belongs in a museum! ProjectSunfire's Avatar

I can totally relate to this thread. Maybe its due to my OCD or that I'm an anal-retentive perfectionist. Or my addictive personality in general. But I become obsessed with anything I get into. All of my friends, even the ones who share the hobby/passion/obsession, think I am slightly crazy for my cigar habits....not to mention most other things.

Overkill is my middle name lol

Puffer Fish with some spikes bluenose's Avatar

I'm the same too except it seems the faster I jump into it I have a tenancy to loose interest faster. I'm all in then it's like ok next hobby... Except cigars seems to be keeping me hooked, might as well jump into pipes now...

Full grown Puffer Fish NorCalJaybird's Avatar

I don't ever do that! But some would say we were kind of in the same boat! Speaking of boats I had 2 + jet ski 1 Cabin and one Wakeboard. Speaking of wakeboards Yeah I had to by several because 1 reminded me of my Snowboard. Speaking of snowboards I had so buy several well ya know a powder board and ICE board and rock board..LOL

I got into RC YEARS ago went CRAZY for it 3 street cars 2 dirt 1 carpet car
    Got into racing Supercross well I had to have a Supercross bike and a trail bike and a desert bike and moto as well. I mean DUHhhhh
    Then tried Karting. WENT CRAZY spent 10+K on karts trailers and gear, racing was/is my passion!
    Started homebrewing 15 years ago..went WAY over the top! Well Nor Cal Brewing Solutions is now 5 years old LOL
    Started Cigars in 2014. I am thinking of buying a few of these for the store... Humidor Cabinet for Sale - Cigar Enclosures at Amazing Prices

Nahhh I never go overboard on anything...Baahhhhaaaaaaaa But when I do dabble I normally JUMP 100% in. I only dabble because I KNOW I am gonna enjoy it!

Cheers
    Jay

Philosopher Extraordinai Gigmaster's Avatar

Well, I have over 2 dozen pipes, around 10 tins of tobacco, over 20 fishing rods, 6 bicycles, and 5 guitars, and various other instruments, but I don't think I get obsessive about anything. I actually consider 5 guitars exercising admirable moderation........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2