Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Who else goes 100% from the beginning?

This is a discussion on Who else goes 100% from the beginning? within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; One of my "fatal character flaws" IMO, is that when I get into something new, I can't just "get my ...

Who else goes 100% from the beginning?

One of my "fatal character flaws" IMO, is that when I get into something new, I can't just "get my feet wet". I have to jump full into it, from the beginning. I start off by reading as much as I can, then move full steam from there.

I really like pickles; I started making and canning my own.

I'm a big fan of beer. Needless to say, I'm a homebrewer now.

I have 8 different types of radio control cars, yet they all do the same basic thing.

I've contemplated growing and roasting my own coffee, I'm still in the researching phase of that one.

I started to do the same since getting into smoking a pipe, but have kept a pretty good hold on myself, so far.

Looking in on myself, I could say that I have a "bit" of an obsessive personality..........
    Does anyone else suffer from this malady? Do you combat it or just let it go? Do your friends do the same, like you surround yourself with likeminded people?
    Anyone have some good stories relating to this?

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Re: Who else goes 100% from the beginning?

I don't see yer desire to learn new skills as a "character flaw". I see it as a strength.

I'm constantly learning new skills. Some folks (like you and I) have to learn new things to be fulfilled.

My wife likes to tease me about learning something new, and then moving on to learn something else, as if I'm done with whatever I learned. The truth is, the wheel keeps turning around, and all my old hobbies come back around. I learned to brew ales somewhere around 1987. It was an on-again-off-again hobby until about ten years ago when I got serious about brewing in Albuquerque and started winning a few awards. I quit brewing for two years when I moved to northern NM, but have been brewing again for the past couple years... no competitions like before, now I just keep two ales on tap in my home kegerator. Nada fancy, just the same two recipes to keep cheap tasty ales on hand. (A honey brown, and an APA.)

I garden and hunt, but not every year. Fishing is one of my few hobbies I just can't get enough of. I will go months baking a couple of loaves of artisan bread each week, then go months without even thinking of baking.

Some skills I only learn to KNOW the skill, then don't really mess with any more. Knapping flint, and knitting come to mind.

Puffer Fish with some spikes USHOG's Avatar

I am the same way.

Everything I do is to the extreme. I grow 2 acres of different tobacco strains. I go fishing I take 12 poles. I go hunting I take 6 dogs. Now for the cigars I am grounded from buying online so lately I have been driving all over Texas to different B&Ms. It is alot of fun meeting everyone and I still can buy cigars. (My loop hole)

No longer a community member.

I have a tendency to go balls out when I find something new that interests me. I don’t consider it an issue if it is simply a matter of learning all about something and/or how to do it. My problem that I have struggled with in the past is going whole hog with my wallet as well in an attempt to artificially hurry the process along. You can buy 10 bikes and it doesn’t make you a good cyclist, you can buy hundreds of cigars and it doesn’t make you an experienced smoker, you can buy a kitchen full of equipment and it doesn’t mean you can cook, etc… I have learned the hard way that there is no substitute for time, trial, and error when it comes to new passions in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    My problem that I have struggled with in the past is going whole hog with my wallet as well in an attempt to artificially hurry the process along.
    I think that I get top notch stuff from the beginning based off of previous experiences. I tried doing the "I'll just get the cheap-o to figure out if I like it" and have had poor results based on the quaility of the product. Then I decided I didn't like it; only to be re-introduced by someone with high-end stuff, that worked well and made the activity enjoyable.

I do take great pleasure in learning new stuff, applicable to day-to-day operations, or not!

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

I think going overboard is pretty much ok. Shortly after my first time flat water kayaking in Maine I was hell bent on buying a kayak. I spent weeks obsessing about what kind, where to go, etc. Then the guy I ended up buying my first yak from told me that he used it for fishing, and then the obsession for outfitting a fishing kayak kicked in. And now I have two kayaks rigged for lake fishing. As long as you're not the type that goes crazy about something and then find out that you don't like whatever it is, I think it's fine.

I am the same exact way. The only probably is my friends are really not. We get into a hobby at the same time, and they are into it and all, but not the same as me. Sometimes it is annoying. I wish I had a friend who was into cigars as much as me, I get stuck finding all the HTF sticks on my own! That has been my thing recently. I have been into finding and collecting a ton of HTF sticks to age and smoke in a few years.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Sprouthog's Avatar

I'm that way. Sometimes the trip is more enjoyable than the destination. Do it once but do it right.

Disinterested

If it's something I know I like and will stick with, I don't mind going a little apey. I like quality, but form must follow function. For example, I have no patience for St Dupont platinum lighters and solid gold Davidoff cutters. I like aesthetics as much as the next guy, but a hammer is only as good as it drives a nail. I have several very high-end, custom 1911 platform pistols. I shoot a lot, relative to most, so I use them. They aren't necessarily more accurate than a pistol costing half as much, but they'll be as accurate as they are for a lot longer.

I don't collect pipes, cigars, or tobacco. I like a variety of them around and just enough pipes to enjoy that variety as often as I smoke a pipe, which isn't very often. As such, I only have three and am very happy with that. If I smoked as much pipe, as I do cigars, it'd be a different story.

If you're new to it, budget is the key. Set a reasonable amount to spend each month and don't go over it. Re-adjust accordingly, after 6 months. After another analysis and re-adjust, don't go over that for two years. Now, if you're considering getting into carving pipes, I say go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    If it's something I know I like and will stick with, I don't mind going a little apey. I like quality, but form must follow function. For example, I have no patience for St Dupont platinum lighters and solid gold Davidoff cutters. I like aesthetics as much as the next guy, but a hammer is only as good as it drives a nail. I have several very high-end, custom 1911 platform pistols. I shoot a lot, relative to most, so I use them. They aren't necessarily more accurate than a pistol costing half as much, but they'll be as accurate as they are for a lot longer.

I don't collect pipes, cigars, or tobacco. I like a variety of them around and just enough pipes to enjoy that variety as often as I smoke a pipe, which isn't very often. As such, I only have three and am very happy with that. If I smoked as much pipe, as I do cigars, it'd be a different story.

If you're new to it, budget is the key. Set a reasonable amount to spend each month and don't go over it. Re-adjust accordingly, after 6 months. After another analysis and re-adjust, don't go over that for two years. Now, if you're considering getting into carving pipes, I say go for it.
    Excellent words of wisdom, Sir!!

I myself am guilty as charged when it comes to this subject. When I first started taking care of fish I did not get your typical 10 gallon start kit. I went all in on a 56 gallon column tank and immediately raised angelfish. Needless to say the tank went through some trial and errors before it became a nearly perfect bio system. Now it is very much the eye catcher of my living room and the freshwater angelfish in it are huge with mating a mating pair. Same thing with guitar, I immediately bought a Fender Strat and Gibson Studio, again through trial and error I learned though. Been playing for 7 years and still play every day. I'm not the best but I do my best. I don't see it as a flaw at all or even a bad thing. I say, if you're going to do something, give it 100% and learn all you can about it. It makes for being a jack of all trades.

I started smoking cigars steady last May and I've already filled two humidors, a tupperdor, and I'm about to order a wine cooler to convert into a wineador. It really snuck up on me.

Philosopher Extraordinai Gigmaster's Avatar

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

Itz

I did the same thing when I started smoking. I tried one pipe and one type of tobacco and ran with it from there. I also tried cigar smoking and spent WAY to much money one cigars I didn't even know I would hate.. Not smart.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast