Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Surgery

This is a discussion on Surgery within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; This is both pipe-related and non pipe-related. On Wednesday I will be having cervical spine surgery (C-2,3 and C-5,6.) to ...

Surgery

This is both pipe-related and non pipe-related. On Wednesday I will be having cervical spine surgery (C-2,3 and C-5,6.) to deal with some serious stenosis/compression issues. The surgery is being done by a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic surgeon working in tandem. Both men are nationally prominent, so I have hope of a good outcome. That surgery, when it has healed, will be followed by lower back surgery. I'm in great health, save that neuro-musculoskeletally I'm a piece of crap. Actually my doctor says I'm nowhere near that good.
    Worst part of it all: I'll be in the hospital for two days, and I won't be able to sit back and relax with my pipe. Once I'm home, things will be different, but you'd think the hospital would be more interested in facilitating a speedy and comfortable recovery for their patients. I suppose I should keep my mouth shut or they'll send the smoking cessation team for a visit.
    Anyway, your good wishes and prayers for my recovery would be greatly appreciated.
    best,
    Eric

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Re: Surgery

I will add you to my prayer list.

I hope the surgery is a success, and your pain is minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by ravkesef View Post
    This is both pipe-related and non pipe-related. On Wednesday I will be having cervical spine surgery (C-2,3 and C-5,6.) to deal with some serious stenosis/compression issues. The surgery is being done by a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic surgeon working in tandem. Both men are nationally prominent, so I have hope of a good outcome. That surgery, when it has healed, will be followed by lower back surgery. I'm in great health, save that neuro-musculoskeletally I'm a piece of crap. Actually my doctor says I'm nowhere near that good.
    Worst part of it all: I'll be in the hospital for two days, and I won't be able to sit back and relax with my pipe. Once I'm home, things will be different, but you'd think the hospital would be more interested in facilitating a speedy and comfortable recovery for their patients. I suppose I should keep my mouth shut or they'll send the smoking cessation team for a visit.
    Anyway, your good wishes and prayers for my recovery would be greatly appreciated.
    best,
    Eric
    Best wishes and I hope everything goes well. I have been pushing off surgery on my C5-6 & C6-7 for two years and just dealing with the pain. I know it will be tough, but it is crucial you not smoke for quite a while after recovery to allow the fusions to heal properly. Best of luck!

Wow. Sounds scary; here's hoping things go well (and quickly!) for you.
    ********.com

I see you're back, Eric, so how'd it go? Or should we ask? You seem to be back puffing, so I guess you haven't heard the hobnail boots of the TobakNazi RauchenStürmTruppen on your doorstep at least.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

No longer a community member.

Just be sure to not over do it when you get out.

I got a friend that just had back surgery and now he will likely have to go back in again because he was an idiot and was lifting shit he shouldn't have been.

Doctors don't seem to think that after the 2nd surgery, he will be able to do much at all.

Kind of sounding like he might be a vegetable.

Prayers brother, stay off them feet for a while.

I want to thank all of you who responded with your heartfelt good wishes. The surgery went extremely well: C-spine C-2,3 and C-5,6. I was home two days later, and managing my pain with dilaudid, which I discontinued a few days later. Right now there's a bit of discomfort, but nothing serious. When I checked out of the hospital, the doctor said I should go home, relax in a comfortable chair with a book, and enjoy a bowlful of tobacco. When I asked if he wasn't concerned about the relationship between nicotine and bone healing, he said that applied to long bones only, not the neck bones, and besides, he added, the study is so seriously flawed and prejudiced that it is difficult to give it any credibility. His only concern was that my throat may be a bit sore because of the intubation, and the smoke might irritate it, but that's about all of it.
    So, we're healing good. I hve another surgery planned for late January, and this is lower back, so that one will be a biggie--with lots of pain, etc., but I'll make it through that one too.
    Again, pipe smoking brothers, thanks so much. Your good wishes add much to the equation of healing.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ravkesef View Post
    I want to thank all of you who responded with your heartfelt good wishes. The surgery went extremely well: C-spine C-2,3 and C-5,6. I was home two days later, and managing my pain with dilaudid, which I discontinued a few days later. Right now there's a bit of discomfort, but nothing serious. When I checked out of the hospital, the doctor said I should go home, relax in a comfortable chair with a book, and enjoy a bowlful of tobacco. When I asked if he wasn't concerned about the relationship between nicotine and bone healing, he said that applied to long bones only, not the neck bones, and besides, he added, the study is so seriously flawed and prejudiced that it is difficult to give it any credibility. His only concern was that my throat may be a bit sore because of the intubation, and the smoke might irritate it, but that's about all of it.
    So, we're healing good. I hve another surgery planned for late January, and this is lower back, so that one will be a biggie--with lots of pain, etc., but I'll make it through that one too.
    Again, pipe smoking brothers, thanks so much. Your good wishes add much to the equation of healing.
    Eric
    Glad your back and doing well. Having worked in the healthcare industry for the last 25 years, I can't imagine any healthcare professional recommending someone have any tobacco products after surgery. I am not preaching and in America and we are free to what ever we want, but there is some pretty convincing evidence that tobacco use of any kind can cause pseudoarthritis which is a poor fusion in the neck. When I went for my evaluations that was going to be the toughest part of the process, no smoking for 6-weeks pre-op and 6-months post-op. Hope your recovery goes well.