Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

20th Anniversary of Jack Kirby's Passing

This is a discussion on 20th Anniversary of Jack Kirby's Passing within the The Official Puff Pipers Non-Pipe Related Banter Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Today marks the 20th anniversary of the death of my old friend and hero, comics' greatest writer/artist/creator, Jack "King" Kirby. ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader JimInks's Avatar

20th Anniversary of Jack Kirby's Passing

Today marks the 20th anniversary of the death of my old friend and hero, comics' greatest writer/artist/creator, Jack "King" Kirby. Without Jack, there is no Captain America, no Iron Man, no Thor, no X-Men, no Spider-Man, no Hulk, no Avengers, no Marvel Universe. He created or co-created more million dollar properties than anybody else in the business, and despite what Stan Lee claims, is the major creator of the Marvel characters. He was a rather humble guy considering his achievements, and kind to everybody. He may not have gotten the proper credit for what he did, or the money he was entitled to, but he's remembered by everybody who saw his work and by everybody who ever met him. I'm dedicating all my smokes to Jack today, who occasionally smoked a pipe, btw. RIP, Jack.

Re: 20th Anniversary of Jack Kirby's Passing

I don't know why my post disappeared; let me try again...

Over the years I've come to despise that glory hound, Stan Lee. I'm sick to death of his popping up in the Marvel movies, as if anyone under forty even knows who he is. I'm sick of him taking credit for everything Marvel did. But don't leave Steve Ditko out of the equation!

On a side note, a friend of mine where I used to live had a beautiful pencilled Thor page that was unused for some reason, so it never got inked. Everytime I saw that page, I want to lynch Vince Colleta. It's a darn shame they couldn't just shoot Kirby's artwork from the pencils. Frankly, he was even better than most people think.
    ********.com

Elder Puffer Fish Leader JimInks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I don't know why my post disappeared; let me try again...

Over the years I've come to despise that glory hound, Stan Lee. I'm sick to death of his popping up in the Marvel movies, as if anyone under forty even knows who he is. I'm sick of him taking credit for everything Marvel did. But don't leave Steve Ditko out of the equation!

On a side note, a friend of mine where I used to live had a beautiful pencilled Thor page that was unused for some reason, so it never got inked. Everytime I saw that page, I want to lynch Vince Colleta. It's a darn shame they couldn't just shoot Kirby's artwork from the pencils. Frankly, he was even better than most people think.
    I'm a big Ditko fan and would never ignore his work. I even got to work with him a couple of times. I have a low opinion of Stan Lee because of how he has lied about being the creator of the Marvel characters, though I will admit he was good to work for when I did. And yes, Vinnie Colletta should have horsewhipped for what he did to Kirby's pencil work. You can find a lot of copies of Jack's pencil work online and in the Jack Kirby Collector magazine. I own a unused Thor page from 1969 that is still in pencil form: Thor in six panels, Galactus and Loki each in three panels. Thank God Vinnie didn't get this one!

As a fan of comics, I have to say Kirby was a brilliant artist. Big fan of his stuff. His focus seemed less about realism than about creating huge places for the imagination to explore. I admire the way he used line and shading, and of course the "Kirby Dots"
    Beside the work he did for Marvel, I'm also fond of the characters he created for DC (ie. Darkseid and The New Gods etc). Glad to see DC continuing to integrate his creations and ideas into their stories. He was a visionary.
    "Quite simply, my dear, tobacco is the greatest pleasure that we have ever discovered... I know of no other miracle like it in nature." -- Bela Lugosi, 1939

Yeah, the New Gods stuff came out when I was in the eighth grade; perfect timing apparently, as it blew me away. ON THE OTHER HAND, I will NEVER forgive that ratbag teacher for confiscating my copy of Mister Miracle No. 1 and never returning it! If I ever see her again...
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Yeah, the New Gods stuff came out when I was in the eighth grade; perfect timing apparently, as it blew me away. ON THE OTHER HAND, I will NEVER forgive that ratbag teacher for confiscating my copy of Mister Miracle No. 1 and never returning it! If I ever see her again...
    I can relate. I had some treasured comics confiscated by a teacher and I still get a pang of resentment over it even though that was 35 years ago.
    "Quite simply, my dear, tobacco is the greatest pleasure that we have ever discovered... I know of no other miracle like it in nature." -- Bela Lugosi, 1939

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimInks View Post
    Today marks the 20th anniversary of the death of my old friend and hero, comics' greatest writer/artist/creator, Jack "King" Kirby. Without Jack, there is no Captain America, no Iron Man, no Thor, no X-Men, no Spider-Man, no Hulk, no Avengers, no Marvel Universe. He created or co-created more million dollar properties than anybody else in the business, and despite what Stan Lee claims, is the major creator of the Marvel characters. He was a rather humble guy considering his achievements, and kind to everybody. He may not have gotten the proper credit for what he did, or the money he was entitled to, but he's remembered by everybody who saw his work and by everybody who ever met him. I'm dedicating all my smokes to Jack today, who occasionally smoked a pipe, btw. RIP, Jack.
    No doubt about it "The man was a legend in his own time"!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Love you guys LOL
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Very cool thread to post. Always nice to remember a great artist like this.

I still to this day love my old comics and Kirby is a part of most of their origins.