Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Portland - Detention Bar @ McMenamin's Kennedy School

This is a discussion on Portland - Detention Bar @ McMenamin's Kennedy School within the Oregon forums, part of the Members and Places to Smoke by Area category; Detention Bar - McMenamin's Kennedy School 5736 N.E. 33rd Ave. Portland, OR 97211 Hours 5pm-10pm Monday-Thursday 5pm to 12am Friday-Sunday ...

Portland - Detention Bar @ McMenamin's Kennedy School

Detention Bar - McMenamin's Kennedy School
    5736 N.E. 33rd Ave.
    Portland, OR 97211

Hours
    5pm-10pm Monday-Thursday
    5pm to 12am Friday-Sunday

Great selection of Scotch, Bourbon and Whiskeys.
    Two humidors with A. Fuentes, Perdomo, Punch, CAO, Cohiba, Romeo y Julieta and more ($5-11)

It is a small place that can easily get busy. Room for about 20, but much more comfortable with half that many people. There are rumors of expansion.

From the website:
    Well, if this is your idea of punishment, then we intend on being very bad indeed! With its cozy intimacy and a fine selection of cigars, the Detention Bar is the perfect place to enjoy beer, wine, fine single malts or bourbons while working on your "penance." No minors, please; this is an institution of higher education.
    I tend to frequent Detention on Tuesday's as it's usually the quietest night with just 4 or 5 others.

Young Puffer Fish

Re: Portland - Detention Bar @ McMenamin's Kennedy School

Hey, I just joined the forum and I work in downtown Portland. Thanks for the tip, I'm definitely checking this place out!

It's a cool place, and not all that far away from downtown. I haven't been in ages, but Kells, I believe, is the only bar left downtown that allows cigars. Otherwise you have retail places like Rich's.

Don't bring a book or newspaper to the Detention Bar, it's a little dark. But it's a great little spot.

Besides Kell's, El Gaucho supposedly still has their cigar lounge. But I think those are the last two spots downtown.

There's also Greater Trumps on Hawthorne & 37th, not too far from downtown.

Young Puffer Fish

Thanks, I'm going out Wednesday night so I'll report back.

Young Puffer Fish

There is also The Mark Sports Den. It is a little more west. It's a bar in the Shilo out on Canyon RD. Nice big place. Food and drinks served. Relatively well ventilated (much better than Kells). If trying to stay downtown there is a place called MOMO up on 10th near the library. It has a large outdoor courtyard with picnic tables and such. There are two heated covered areas for when the weather is not so spectacular. El Gaucho is nice too.

Young Puffer Fish

Went to Kell's last week. Unimpressive selection of cigars and definitely not very well ventilated.