Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 10 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 ... LastLast

Ask a Pipe Guy

This is a discussion on Ask a Pipe Guy within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Mister Moo I've have good luck with hot beeswax rubbed on one or two pipe tenons; all ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

Re: Ask a Pipe Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    I've have good luck with hot beeswax rubbed on one or two pipe tenons; all the others that go loose have tightened right up after a smoke or two. I have heard about painting a coat of clear nailpolish on a tenon but it has never come to that in my world.

Did you ever actually do the "alcohol in the shank" thingie?
    Yeah, it was something I learned from doing this to estate pipes. I figured an alcohol soaked cleaner would have the same effect on a dirty shank as the salt/alcohol treatment has on the bowl. I also started doing it to my pipes regularly, about every third smoke, to keep them clean and to sweeten them. Some shanks will get a little too tight from doing this and I use wax to cure that too, but usually that isn't a problem.
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

Newbie in the ocean

I recently purchased a La Rocca pipe which I am having considerable difficulty with. My question doesn't have so much to do with knowledge of the brand, but rather whether it is possible for a pipe to have been as poorly constructed as the one I bought.

I own only two pipes, a Molina I got for about $40 and a La Rocca for $45. Both are bent billiards. I cannot for the life of me figure out why I can't get the La Rocca to stay lit. At first I chalked it up to me simply needing more experience, but I sincerely doubt that's the problem after having smoked 20+ bowls of various tobacco in my Molina with almost always less than 5 relights throughout each bowl. However, smoking (or attempting to) about the same number of bowls in my La Rocca has only proven to be a disaster. I have been unable to keep the pipe lit for more than 30 seconds at a time. The weirdest part is that the pipe doesn't seem to smoke wet, which I have been told is typically the problem with poorly constructed pipes. There is never any pipe gurgle nor do I ever get tongue bite. Although I do not believe that I am necessarily good at smoking pipes, I must be doing something right, since just today I smoked a full bowl of Three Star out of my Molina using only 3 relights.

I have experimented with different types of tobacco, and I have been using the exact same tobaccos, packing method, and smoking method for both my Molina and La Rocca. Is it possible that I just happened to purchase a La Rocca with horrid construction? Considerable research has only told me that La Roccas might be seconds, but I have been unable to verify that.

Thanks for any info

I am no expert just a newb of a year or so and cannot give you a great answer on this but....

After my first few months of smoking I had finally gotten where I could smoke the three pipes that I had. I decided to get a better quality pipe since my technique had inmproved. I bought a Boswell after reading the numerous good reviews. When it came I thought I had the worst pipe ever made. I thought the drilling must be off. I was very frustrated and posted here about the problem. I recieved many tips on packing and numerous other things. The best tip I got was "all pipes are different. You have to learn what the pipe wants to get a good smoke." I stuck with it trying different packing methods and speed of smoking. Finally i got the swing of it and it is now a great smoking pipe and I will always recomend someone buy a Boswell. Other guys here will give you a better Idea than I can about the drilling and airflow so listen to what they have to say and if there are no drilling issues just stick with it. There may be a trick to your pipe you will happen upon you and it will be a great smoker.

Good Luck
    "I was gonna yell FORE, but I was too busy mumbling "No way that's gonna hit him"

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Chiefessii, what's it sound like when you blow air through the pipe when empty? Just a normal air-through-a-straw sound, or does it whistle like the flow's constricted?
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Newbie in the ocean

Thanks for the tips BigKev. I will certainly continue to experiment with it and see if I can possibly get it to work another way.

There is no odd sound coming from it. The airflow is not as good as my Molina, but because these are the only two pipes I own I do not have a good basis for comparison. I have cleaned the pipe with pipe cleaners and also with pipe sweetener and rubbing alcohol. It is as clean as possible and yet still does not smoke well.

I greatly appreciate the help

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefessii View Post
    Thanks for the tips BigKev. I will certainly continue to experiment with it and see if I can possibly get it to work another way.

There is no odd sound coming from it. The airflow is not as good as my Molina, but because these are the only two pipes I own I do not have a good basis for comparison. I have cleaned the pipe with pipe cleaners and also with pipe sweetener and rubbing alcohol. It is as clean as possible and yet still does not smoke well.

I greatly appreciate the help
    It sounds like an airflow problem to me. A lot of pipes that have otherwise decent airflow will have a restriction or tightening in the button of the stem or sometimes in the bend in the stem. What you can do to check that is take the stem off and feed a pipe cleaner through it from one end and then from the other to see if the airway is tighter somewhere along the stem.

pipe smokin' duck hunter Hendu3270's Avatar

Question about the rubber pipe bits. Is the purpose of these simply to protect the mouthpiece from being scratched? I have a few scratches on my pipes and I'm sure that over time they'll build up even more but I don't see that as problem for me.

It seems to me that it's kind of like putting seat covers or floor mats in your vehicle....to protect it from day to day use and keep up the resale value.

Do they enhance the experience any?

They also make the pipe easier to clench. I bought one for 99 cents in my last order and just tried it out the other day. It's really comfortable, but I don't necessarily like the aesthetic of it, so I'll probably leave it off...but I'm more of a hold the pipe in my hand rather than in my teeth kind of guy. If you do hold it it your teeth quite a bit, I would highly recommend it.
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things." - Tom Waits

Newbie in the ocean

Turns out that the airway in the pipe is the problem. The bottom of the airway hole is significantly higher than the bowl bottom. I will be using the honey and ash method to attempt to fix it.

Thanks to everyone who helped

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefessii View Post
    Turns out that the airway in the pipe is the problem. The bottom of the airway hole is significantly higher than the bowl bottom. I will be using the honey and ash method to attempt to fix it.

Thanks to everyone who helped
    Glad you got that figured out. Hopefully it'll smoke much better for you once its corrected.

pipe smokin' duck hunter Hendu3270's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
    They also make the pipe easier to clench. I bought one for 99 cents in my last order and just tried it out the other day. It's really comfortable, but I don't necessarily like the aesthetic of it, so I'll probably leave it off...but I'm more of a hold the pipe in my hand rather than in my teeth kind of guy. If you do hold it it your teeth quite a bit, I would highly recommend it.
    My wife saw me posting about the rubber bits a couple of days ago and when she was out grocery shopping she stopped by the baccy shop and picked a couple up for me. I put one on the next pipe in my rotation last night and I LOVE IT!! It makes the pipe soooo much easier to leave in your mouth. I think I'll be putting one on each of my pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendu3270 View Post
    My wife saw me posting about the rubber bits a couple of days ago and when she was out grocery shopping she stopped by the baccy shop and picked a couple up for me. I put one on the next pipe in my rotation last night and I LOVE IT!! It makes the pipe soooo much easier to leave in your mouth. I think I'll be putting one on each of my pipes.
    Right on. If you like to hold the pipe in your mouth they're aces. Glad you found something to make the pipe even more enjoyable.
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things." - Tom Waits

I have a question in regards to aromatic tobacco.

I did some research before I decided to try the pipe, and it seems like most people started off with aromatics. Problem is, I cannot really taste anything. On the exhale, I can only taste a very mild sweet flavor, but really mile. I have tried Captain black (white label), and some bulk black cavendish and vanilla. I was wondering if this is a characteristic of aromatics or if I am doing something wrong? I am about a once to twice a week cigar smoker, so I think I am really trying to find something that has a little bit more flavor to it. Can I expect a difference with an English or Virgina blend?

Thanks!
    All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope. ---Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by 8ball917 View Post
    I have a question in regards to aromatic tobacco.

I did some research before I decided to try the pipe, and it seems like most people started off with aromatics. Problem is, I cannot really taste anything. On the exhale, I can only taste a very mild sweet flavor, but really mile. I have tried Captain black (white label), and some bulk black cavendish and vanilla. I was wondering if this is a characteristic of aromatics or if I am doing something wrong? I am about a once to twice a week cigar smoker, so I think I am really trying to find something that has a little bit more flavor to it. Can I expect a difference with an English or Virgina blend?

Thanks!
    I don't taste much with aromatics either and I have been smoking a while. You will definitely experience taste with an Engllish, probably more than a virginia blend. Both will likely give you more of what you are looking for. Just remember to smoke slowly. This will help you pick up some flavors instead of just hot smoke.
    Good judgement comes from experience and
    a lotta' that comes from bad judgement.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    It sounds like an airflow problem to me. A lot of pipes that have otherwise decent airflow will have a restriction or tightening in the button of the stem or sometimes in the bend in the stem. What you can do to check that is take the stem off and feed a pipe cleaner through it from one end and then from the other to see if the airway is tighter somewhere along the stem.
    my pete 314 had an airflow problem so i, and you dont have to do this...took a toothpick to the shank like you would a pipe cleaner you would not believe the hard crap that comes out of those things but go gently or the toothpick will snap causing more problems but it clears the shank of obstructions very very well mike

Page 10 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 ... LastLast