Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 105 of 106 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 1588

Ask a Pipe Guy

This is a discussion on Ask a Pipe Guy within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by freestoke As long as the seal holds and the "vacuum doesn't leak out", they're fine. I've never ...

Re: Ask a Pipe Guy

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    As long as the seal holds and the "vacuum doesn't leak out", they're fine. I've never had a vacuum-sealed tin fail, but I'm sure they do. (Then again, I don't have any tins older than two years. I'd imagine the older they get the dicier it becomes.) Check 'em once in a while and transfer the defective ones to jars.
    Sorry, guess I should have said "opened" tins...

Quote Originally Posted by TTecheTTe View Post
    Sorry, guess I should have said "opened" tins...
    Jars. Tins with metal lids don't do much to keep things fresh after they've been opened. Depends on how fast you plan on emptying it, I suppose, but I transfer everything to jars pretty much immediately after opening.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

As long as the seal holds and the "vacuum doesn't leak out", they're fine. I've never had a vacuum-sealed tin fail, but I'm sure they do. (Then again, I don't have any tins older than two years. I'd imagine the older they get the dicier it becomes.) Check 'em once in a while and transfer the defective ones to jars.
    I'm now very careful in storage of tins. I traveled with an unopened tin of Rattray's Red Rappareee amongst others and the smell of the Latakia was quite obvious in the box I had them in. The seal was still fully intact. I now store Latakia and aromatics away from each other and anything else. I've not noticed problems with rubber sealed jars.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Jars. Tins with metal lids don't do much to keep things fresh after they've been opened. Depends on how fast you plan on emptying it, I suppose, but I transfer everything to jars pretty much immediately after opening.
    I usually wait a couple of weeks to allow a little drying, then jar. Saves time later. Of course, if the tin doesn't last for more than two weeks, forget it...
    ********.com

Puffer Fish with some spikes shakinghorizons's Avatar

Old thread, but figured I would revive this one instead of posting a new thread.

My question - I have 12, pint sized jars for storing my pipe tobacco. I currently only have "samples" (2-3 bowls) in ziplock bags, but have more than 12 samples. Is it okay to put more than one sealed ziplock per jar? I just don't have the room right now for more than 12 jars.

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

That's fine. Try to put tobaccos that smell similar together.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
    That's fine. Try to put tobaccos that smell similar together.
    Yep, I do it all the time too. The plastic bags will "leak" a little, so if you put different smelling tobaccos together the flavors and aromas will eventually meld. If you do as Derrick states, you'll be fine.

For stem restoration, would you recommend Walker Briar Works Stem Repair Kit?

Robert had recommended T-Cut Automotive cutting compound, but upon looking online it appears to be available only from the UK. Found some very old McGuires Scratch X compound in the garage, which I gave a go without success. It also imparted a strong odor onto the stem, so am leery of even attempting to select an alternate compound.

Would you recommended pulling the trigger on the WBW kit, or is there something cheaper/better you can suggest?

Thank you!

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

Have you tried anything yet? I've gotten PDG results with a combination of an oxiclean soak, Mr Clean Magic Eraser, toothpaste, and then polish with coconut oil.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

Robert had recommended T-Cut Automotive cutting compound, but upon looking online it appears to be available only from the UK. Found some very old McGuires Scratch X compound in the garage, which I gave a go without success. It also imparted a strong odor onto the stem, so am leery of even attempting to select an alternate compound.

Would you recommended pulling the trigger on the WBW kit, or is there something cheaper/better you can suggest?

Thank you!
    I use toothpaste, then once the yellow grime is gone I use this pipe stem oil (from smokingpipes.com). It's awesome! Stems really shine up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
    Have you tried anything yet? I've gotten PDG results with a combination of an oxiclean soak, Mr Clean Magic Eraser, toothpaste, and then polish with coconut oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    I use toothpaste, then once the yellow grime is gone I use this pipe stem oil (from smokingpipes.com). It's awesome! Stems really shine up nicely. ]
    Thanks! I did try Crest, and it helped. I read about Bar Keepers Friend, and as I had some I tried it today with better results and finished with EVOO.

Much as I hate the abbreviation EVOO, that's my choice to finish off a stem as well.

One of these days, I have GOT to try the Walker Briar Works cleaner. My pipes rarely get cavities, and I don't like that minty-fresh feel...
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Much as I hate the abbreviation EVOO, that's my choice to finish off a stem as well.

One of these days, I have GOT to try the Walker Briar Works cleaner. My pipes rarely get cavities, and I don't like that minty-fresh feel...
    So, do I; of, first cold pressed. Will let you know about WBW.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Thank you!
    Lots of ways to improve stem appearance/taste without power equipment. Many mentioned above. For my money (and time), however, I don't think MicroMesh polishing cloth can be beat. Get a sampler package with grits 1200-12,000 and you can turn a green, nasty stem into mirror wet-black in about 30 minutes. The OxyKleen presoak doesn't hurt, either.

Review thread "Diamonds from Coal" and learn a lot about restoration methods.

MMoo
    Last edited by Mister Moo; 06-21-2013 at 08:31 AM.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Puffer Fish with some spikes shakinghorizons's Avatar

Did I categories all of these correctly??

LATAKIA
    Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader
    C&D - Billy Budd
    Peter Stokkebye - Proper English

AROMATIC
    Bull Run
    Peter Stokkebye - Cherry

VIRGINIA
    Lane – 1Q
    Dunhill - Royal Yacht
    Gawith & Hogarth - Kendal Kentucky
    Esoterica – Penzance