Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106
Results 1,576 to 1,588 of 1588

Ask a Pipe Guy

This is a discussion on Ask a Pipe Guy within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; ...

Maturing Puffer Fish

Re: Ask a Pipe Guy

Not sure about them all but Esoterica Penzance is a Latakia blend, it does have Virginias but so do a lot of Latakia blends

Quote Originally Posted by shakinghorizons View Post
    Did I categories all of these correctly??

LATAKIA
    Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader
    C&D - Billy Budd
    Peter Stokkebye - Proper English

AROMATIC
    Bull Run
    Peter Stokkebye - Cherry

VIRGINIA
    Lane – 1Q
    Dunhill - Royal Yacht
    Gawith & Hogarth - Kendal Kentucky
    Esoterica – Penzance
    Orlik - Golden Sliced
    Samuel Gawith - 1792 Flake

BURLEY
    Lane LTD - RLP-6
    Walnut – Light English
    Lane Limited - BLWB - Burley Light Without Bite
    Peter Stokkebye - Cube Cut
    MacBaren - Navy Flake
    MacBaren - HH Old Dark Fired

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper2075 View Post
    Not sure about them all but Esoterica Penzance is a Latakia blend, it does have Virginias but so do a lot of Latakia blends
    Lane 1-Q is an aromatic...
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    Lane 1-Q is an aromatic...
    So's the RLP-6, I think.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I think the point here is storing of baggie samples, not dedicating a pipe to a style (although the same "rules" apply). With that in mind, the thing to do is to stick your nose in the bag and sniff (inwards).

If you smell Latakia (easily identified after first smelled) - It's "English" or Balkan or some such and belongs in that pile.

If you smell vanilla or some other obvious strong, usually sweet, flavouring - It's an aromatic and in that pile it goes.

None of the above? Light in colour and smell? - Into a different pile.

As above but dark? Pile 4.

Smells like a French whore's boudoir? - It's Ennerdale Flake and needs to be quarantined separately.

Anything that smells very stong and "different" (like 1792 Flake) is best quarantined.

Aromatics in particular may tend to meld if stored together. A lot of their aromas are volatiles added as a topping at the end of the processing. As such they are, well, volatile and will tend to affect other tobaccos in the same jar.

No magic or right answers to be had. If it smells and to an extent, looks the same as your other samples, then you can store them together for a time. They WILL "infect" each other; the similarities help in making sure that the result will not be repulsive.

Just my twopennyworth...
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post

Smells like a French whore's boudoir? - It's Ennerdale Flake and needs to be quarantined separately....

Just my twopennyworth...
    Rather a good system, Robert! Well worth a thrupney bit, if you ask me.

Ennerdale
    cannot be contained by a baggie and should be kept in a lead-lined mason jar. A single baggie of Ennerdale will contaminate 2000 sq. ft. of floorspace. Carrying a baggie or pouch of Ennerdale in public requires dedicated clothing to go with the dedicated pipe and one needs to learn to deal civilly with solicitations for dalliance from passing crossdressers. (Said clothing should be kept in nuclear waste containers in a garage or shed.)

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Well worth a thrupney bit, if you ask me.
    Oh good. I like trupenny bits, me. Only in pairs, mind. Singles are a bit strange.

(My mate, a Commander in HM's RN, is able to point out the single in a painting hung in the Greenwich Naval College, which contains something over a hundred - I think - pairs... It's a skill.)
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Puffer Fish with some spikes shakinghorizons's Avatar

Thanks for the input gentlemen!

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Oh good. I like trupenny bits, me. Only in pairs, mind. Singles are a bit strange.

(My mate, a Commander in HM's RN, is able to point out the single in a painting hung in the Greenwich Naval College, which contains something over a hundred - I think - pairs... It's a skill.)
    I kinda liked 'em. Round coins are so ordinary.

Question Q: In regards to long and short term storage jars.

I have to start initially by apologizing for beating the horse, its long dead and it didn't do anything to deserve it but I just wanted to clarify some issues I have not directly read about through searching, if the detail I'm looking for is already discussed in depth and I'm simply overlooking it I'm sorry.

Now, to the point. From what I understand from previous discussions I have been reading for a standard UK 50g pack of tobacco (1.76oz / 52ml approx) it's usually (read as often) suggested to aim for a 8oz (227g / 237ml approx) capacity jar to fill with little room to spare, now these numbers do not add up to me but from my own conjecture I'm left to presume this is just down to the tobacco itself not being compacted too much and being allowed to expand a little to "fill" the jar, figuratively speaking so its neither crushed nor too loose.

Now, I have to say I'm very new to pipe tobacco and am much more familiar with cigarette tobacco so my guesses and presumptions may be completely off. This said so far I'm finding I am a bit of a flavour hound, mainly derived from my wanting to try as many new and interesting blends as I can to find my personal staples but tempered by not wanting to open too many pouches or tins simultaneously in fear of them losing too much moisture/flavour over time while I'm off trying the next blend.

Now, thinking on this my current idea for a solution to limiting how much I have "open" at a time to both long and short term storage would be to use 4oz (113g / 118ml approx) jars. The thinking behind this is where the contents is small and runs out more frequently I can always just open another jar but frequently opening a larger jar to "top up" compromises the contents regardless of capacity.

Additionally, if it's a longer term storage with smaller pack sizes I would be running less of a risk to bulk being powdered by bad seals.

Anyway, this is really just a query I'm running by those more familiar with storage routines in regards to flaws in my presumptions and guesswork and any oversights I may have due to my inexperience.

Hopefully some of you will be able to shed more light on the subject and thanks for your time in reading.

Postscript: To clarify further, I'm able to get a quantity of 60 wide necked 4oz screw top jars (standard sized lids) at a good price (where US imports cost two to three times more depending on source) but am unable to get a lesser quantity to try before committing to the larger quantity.

Also, just to confirm, retailers/etailiers in the UK do list ounces as capacities in some cases but I am yet to see any that clarify US or UK, they are different, not by much but by enough to notice when talking of 4+ ounces capacities, for example.

1oz US = 0.96 UK
    4oz US = 3.84 UK
    8oz US = 7.68 UK

As I say, not much but it adds up when discussing what capacity A "fits" into what capacity B.

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Re: Q: In regards to long and short term storage jars.

Quote Originally Posted by Badmagic. View Post
    As I say, not much but it adds up when discussing what capacity A "fits" into what capacity B.
    Wow, you did a lot of extreme analytics in that post. Or over-thinking, depending on how you want to look at it

I just buy the 8oz jars for my tin storage because I find it to fit perfectly. Then I leave 2-3 bowls worth of the tobacco I want to smoke in the tin to dry properly and be "ready to smoke." You could do the multiple 4oz jars...but then I don't see a great solution to have any smoke ready stock on hand unless you plan on "power" drying everything...and if you wanted to do that, you could just leave it all in an 8oz jars regardless...

If I am buying bulk, I use pint jars.

I would use the KISS principal whenever possible in the land of pipe tobacco.

Just my 2 cents worth.

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

The tobacco is measured by weight (grams/ounces) the jars are measured in liquid ounces so that's where the disconnect is. A good rule of thumb is 1 standard 50gr/2oz tin per 8 oz jar.

I have never had any issues with tobacco drying or loosing anything from being opened repeatedly while in a smoking rotation, even if the jars are in that rotation for years.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Quan View Post
    The tobacco is measured by weight (grams/ounces) the jars are measured in liquid ounces so that's where the disconnect is. A good rule of thumb is 1 standard 50gr/2oz tin per 8 oz jar.

I have never had any issues with tobacco drying or loosing anything from being opened repeatedly while in a smoking rotation, even if the jars are in that rotation for years.
    Even packed tightly, there is still a lot of air space with ribbon. With flakes and rope, you can get closer to 3oz in there. And tobacco floats, so it doesn't weigh as much per unit volume. Since there are 25 2g loads in the can, opening it and screwing the lid back on maybe 30 times doesn't really give it much time to dry out.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Jogi's Avatar

Hello Puffers,

I'm back once again with my noob question, hope y'all don't mind them Its strange to see this thread not having seen much action for almost an year!?! I guess I'll be bringing a dead thread back to life

Now, The Background:

I'll be travelling to China, in Jan most probably, for almost 6 months. I'd like to take as much pipe tobacco as possible with me. The chinese customs dept website says I can carry up to 400g of pipe tobacco into China untaxed. But it also says that rules currently enforced may be different from documented rules depending on the current situation. i'm thinking about carrying at most 200g on myself, and requesting a friend or two to carry a couple tins each for me...

The Question:

Has anyone had any recent experience of carrying pipe tobacco, while travelling to China? ANY help/tips/personal experience would be helpful and appreciated guys.