Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 11 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 61 ... LastLast

Ask a Pipe Guy

This is a discussion on Ask a Pipe Guy within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by dogsplayinpoker I don't taste much with aromatics either and I have been smoking a while. You will ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

Re: Ask a Pipe Guy

Quote Originally Posted by dogsplayinpoker View Post
    I don't taste much with aromatics either and I have been smoking a while. You will definitely experience taste with an Engllish, probably more than a virginia blend. Both will likely give you more of what you are looking for. Just remember to smoke slowly. This will help you pick up some flavors instead of just hot smoke.
    I second that and I always say newbies should start with english, balkan or VA/latakia blends because you can taste the latakia if you can't taste anything else
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    I second that and I always say newbies should start with english, balkan or VA/latakia blends because you can taste the latakia if you can't taste anything else
    Thanks for the tips guys. I've also noticed that people say that over time, I will pick up the flavors more and more. I'm making a trip to one of the local stores tomorrow, to try some English and VA blends.
    All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope. ---Sir Winston Churchill

Would Frog Morton be a good blend for a newbie? Or should I try some other non-aro blends first? (I've only smoked a couple aro blends before)

Being fairly new to pipe smoking myself, a seasoned pipe smoker recommended Frog Morton to me as I had only smoked aromatics before. I love it! It's by far the best tobacco I've smoked yet. Keep in mind that my experience is quite limited, but I do enjoy FM. I haven't bought any other tobaccos lately and have put the aromatics down for now. I just really like the FM. I'll probably try the other FM blends after I go through the tin I'm on now.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadFrog View Post
    Being fairly new to pipe smoking myself, a seasoned pipe smoker recommended Frog Morton to me as I had only smoked aromatics before. I love it! It's by far the best tobacco I've smoked yet. Keep in mind that my experience is quite limited, but I do enjoy FM. I haven't bought any other tobaccos lately and have put the aromatics down for now. I just really like the FM. I'll probably try the other FM blends after I go through the tin I'm on now.
    Alright, I think I'll get a tin. Is it a strong tobacco? I heard that it doesn't bite much, would you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by jfserama View Post
    Would Frog Morton be a good blend for a newbie? Or should I try some other non-aro blends first? (I've only smoked a couple aro blends before)
    The Frog series would be good for you. It smokes easily and I don't remember getting tongue bite when I was smoking it. Pipesandcigars used to have the 4 tin set for a discounted price. Actually the original Frog was my least favorite of the set.

Alright, I think I'll get a tin. Is it a strong tobacco? I heard that it doesn't bite much, would you agree?
    It's not strong at all, I find it quite mellow. I've experienced no tongue bite at all smoking it.

I really want to try the other FM blends, but at $30 a tin up here the "master of finances" aka wife really limits my purchases! lol

I looked at the price of some FM tins at me local B&M, and $25 a tin is a little too much for me... Are there any tobaccos similar to FM but for a lot less - around $12 or less?

I looked at the price of some FM tins at me local B&M, and $25 a tin is a little too much for me... Are there any tobaccos similar to FM but for a lot less - around $12 or less?
    Did you look at 50 or 100g tins? Here's the 4 tin set that I mentioned $29.99

http://pipesandcigars.com/frwecosa.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    Did you look at 50 or 100g tins?
    ohhhh... I think It might have been the 100g tin

I'll have to go back and see what the price is for a 50g

Went back today and got a 50g tin for around $10. I got the just the plain FM. Not too fond of the smell, but you really can't judge a tobacco based on smell.

I'll light it up sometime this weekend and see what I think.

Had a few bowls of FM over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It's the best pipe tobacco I've had so far. Thanks for the recommendation guys!

(Sorry about the triple posting!)

Had a few bowls of FM over the weekend and really enjoyed it. It's the best pipe tobacco I've had so far. Thanks for the recommendation guys!

(Sorry about the triple posting!)

Glad you liked it. I'm trying to decide what FM blend to try next. Decisions, decisions!

I'm just wondering if anyone can speak to whether a stem can be darkened once it has faded to that almost brown color that some stems seem to turn as the pipe ages and wears. I presume the answer is no, but didn't know if anyone had some experience with this. I didn't think a normal stem polish would do the trick, but I don't know what else could be done.

You bet it can. A lot of the guys here refurb their old pipes themselves. I take mine to my local BM and they do it for $5. Stem looks as good as new after a good polishing. There are a lot of guys here that do their own and they could be better help. Also search the topic. I have read a number of posts here on this subject. I have been wanting to learn to do it myself so I will search it too.
    "I was gonna yell FORE, but I was too busy mumbling "No way that's gonna hit him"

Page 11 of 106 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 61 ... LastLast