Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 14 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 ... LastLast

Ask a Pipe Guy

This is a discussion on Ask a Pipe Guy within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; cheers guys - i intend to use filters soon - but the pipe arrived today and it was too late ...

Re: Ask a Pipe Guy

cheers guys - i intend to use filters soon - but the pipe arrived today and it was too late to go to town to pick up 9mm filters (i've only got 6mm) and was wondering what to do because i'm excited to spark it up!

thanks for your knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin View Post
    I would give negative feedback for sure, if the seller wasn't willing to refund my money. They lied about the item. And sellers usually give feedback first
    Quote Originally Posted by David M* View Post
    Thats a pretty big lie.
    He described the pipe in complete and total false terms.
    His description is the only thing that led you to buy the pipe.
    Had he been honest, I dont think you would be in this position right now.
    All of that put together means you should SKEWER him.

I would also tend to shy away from negative feedback until absolutely needed. Try and deal with him one on one first. Email him, demand clarification, perhaps even demand your money back (although $6.50) aint much, its the principle of it.

He lied though. Fully and completely and had he not, you would have been able to make an informed decision. From that perspective alone you should definitely not feel bad whatsoever regarding any steps you choose to take to try and resolve the matter.

Thanks for posting the pics.
    I wanna see them cracks.
    Yeah for me it's really the principle of it, $6.50 is no big deal whatsoever. He'll take it back and refund me the $3 purchase price, but I'd have to pay shipping. So it'd be a wash anyway.

I'm thinking about biting the bullet and keeping it, even though it totally sucks.

I'm really not sure how to repair the bit, besides just sticking a softy on it.

Thanks for the advice guys.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes RHNewfie's Avatar

How hot is too hot for your bowl to get? I noticed that mine will get pretty hot sometimes!!

Reply w Quote Hater

pipe smokin' duck hunter Hendu3270's Avatar

What I've always heard is if it's too hot to put against your cheek for a few seconds then it's too hot.

If, throughout smoking a bowl, you find yourself having to adjust your grip on the pipe because of the heat then that's a pretty good idea it's not as cool as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by RHNewfie View Post
    How hot is too hot for your bowl to get? I noticed that mine will get pretty hot sometimes!!
    I'm a relative newbie here, but I'll give this one a go.

My understanding is that if it's too hot to touch to your cheek, it's too hot. It's better to puff slowly & carefully & relight if the pipe goes out, rather than puffing way too hard and too often causing the pipe to heat up. If the tobacco is too wet it could cause you too puff harder than normal in order to keep it lit. I find that I need to dry out most of my tobacco for a half hour or more before smoking. This is a recurring problem for me as well. Hopefully the pipe masters on here can help give you a definitive answer.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Newbie in the ocean

Hey. If you notice that guy had a negative feedback dated before your purchase. In the future make sure you take careful not of guys with feedback like this. A prior 'buyer' had given him a negative feedback on a pipe and called the pipe a 'throwaway'. That guy sounded furious too...

Quote Originally Posted by JacobMarley View Post
    Hey. If you notice that guy had a negative feedback dated before your purchase. In the future make sure you take careful not of guys with feedback like this. A prior 'buyer' had given him a negative feedback on a pipe and called the pipe a 'throwaway'. That guy sounded furious too...
    I hadn't noticed that before........

Ha, that's funny. I bought a pipe from the same guy. A Kaywoodie Super Grain listed as being in "great condition". Couldn't be further from the truth. Not only was the pipe nasty, there was a hole right through the stem. I actually had to cut off the bit and re-file a new one. I left him positive feedback but simply stated: "Nice pipe, cleaned up really well. Thanks." Which was true because I was able to pull a diamond from the rough with this one. Thankfully I only paid $4.50 for the pipe. The guy also tried to charge me $16 US for First Class Mail. I told him that was ridiculous and he dropped it to $6. (Actual postage was under $3).

Before:

After:

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Alpedhuez55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JacobMarley View Post
    The guy did not deserve positive feedback. I would have given him neutral with a comment on the condition of the pipe but that he offered refund.
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by DeadFrog View Post
    Ha, that's funny. I bought a pipe from the same guy. A Kaywoodie Super Grain listed as being in "great condition". Couldn't be further from the truth. Not only was the pipe nasty, there was a hole right through the stem. I actually had to cut off the bit and re-file a new one. I left him positive feedback but simply stated: "Nice pipe, cleaned up really well. Thanks." Which was true because I was able to pull a diamond from the rough with this one. Thankfully I only paid $4.50 for the pipe. The guy also tried to charge me $16 US for First Class Mail. I told him that was ridiculous and he dropped it to $6. (Actual postage was under $3).
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpedhuez55 View Post
    The guy did not deserve positive feedback. I would have given him neutral with a comment on the condition of the pipe but that he offered refund.
    Well, the best thing we can do now is to spread the word around so he doesn't sell anymore crappy pipes. This guy sounds like a real piece of work!

I just looked at the listing for the pipe you bought. I noticed that on yours as well as mine he only had one picture, & a brief description. I think I'm going to try to buy from more reputable sellers from now on, unless I find a realy deal on something.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

You can fill bite holes like that one with superglue gel, clear or black. Just dampen a pipe cleaner and stick it down the stem before filling the hole and pull it out shortly thereafter.
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    You can fill bite holes like that one with superglue gel, clear or black. Just dampen a pipe cleaner and stick it down the stem before filling the hole and pull it out shortly thereafter.
    The top of the bit was cracked and chipped off on me so rather than mess around, I decided to shorten the stem slightly and file a new bit. Otherwise the superglue is a good trick. I've used it to fill in dents in stems before. Then light sand and polish.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

The top of the bit was cracked and chipped off on me so rather than mess around, I decided to shorten the stem slightly and file a new bit. Otherwise the superglue is a good trick. I've used it to fill in dents in stems before. Then light sand and polish.
    Did you use the black superglue? I've never used it but I've wondered how it polishes out.

I've thought about cutting off a stem and filing a new button before but I'm leary of getting the stem too thin and burning my lip. I seem to be the only one whose ever done that but it freakin' hurts
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

I was wondering if someone can someone help me. I want to buy a nice pipe, nothing to crazy I don't want to spend that much. Just a pipe with a curve to it, maybe a few of the tools I need as well. Any tips for looking on Ebay or pointing my to a pipe sale will be much appreciated!
    Last edited by louistogie; 06-12-2009 at 01:12 AM.

Page 14 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 ... LastLast