Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast

Ask a Pipe Guy

This is a discussion on Ask a Pipe Guy within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Dun killin time My B&M carries a lot of different bulk brands McClelland, Dan/CAO, Dunhill, and of ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dun killin time View Post
    My B&M carries a lot of different bulk brands McClelland, Dan/CAO, Dunhill, and of course Lane. my question is are these the same as the stuff in the tins? Is there more PG in the bulk stuff? If I like say, Blue Note, #965, or MC 5100 red cake, IYO would it be even better from a tin?

BTW I have yet to find a CAO that I didn't like!! though I've only tried 3, my favorite aero & non aero are CAO/Dan blends.

Some of those that you listed are only available in bulk form. Most of the McClelland Bulk blends are not available in tin form.

This arguement comes up from time to time with both sides claiming that theirs tastes better. For example, I have a buddy who loves Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake (FVF). But he only likes the tinned version. Even though the bulk version is a lot cheaper he will only buy it in tins. He claims that the tinned version tastes fresher to him. I never could tell the difference in the blends that I smoke that come in both bulk and tinned versions. There are some arguements that the bulk form allows more oxygen around the tobacco thus changing the taste a bit. Heck, I've had tinned versions that tasted a little different from one tin to another. I think that this is another one of those preference things. My motto is to try everything and then figure out what you like.

As far as the CAO/Dan blends. I agree with you!! I love Treasures of Ireland - Galway and Treasures of Ireland - Limerick. The only snag is that CAO stopped making pipe tobacco this year in order to focus more on their cigars. They were also the US distributer of the Dan tobaccos and they no longer do that as well. Not sure which blends were CAO and which ones were Dan blends but we may see a few of these disappear because of that. Also, until Dan Tobacco gets another US distributer (which may have already happened) there might be a bit of a shortage on some of these blends.
    Do Not Fear Death, Fear the Half-Lived Life

Quote Originally Posted by adamsdb View Post
    Wow, thanks for all the great information. I have my latest CBid shipment coming in this week so my budget is nil at the moment. I will have to wait a few weeks to get started.

What would be a good tobacco to start with? I don't think I will go for the arromatic stuff right away and I don't want something that is too strong. Although, my first cigar was a Sancho Panza ISOM. Man, I was lightheaded after 2 puffs.

You guys are getting me excited to get started.

Thanks again.

Well, that's hard to answer. It's like taking someone into a full humidor and trying to pick out one cigar that you think that they will like. Most beginners start with the aromatics and then branch out from there some don't but there aren't any rules here.

One good place is to start on this website:

http://agingfaq.nocturne.org/touchstones.php

On that page it gives a breakdown of what different blends of pipe tobacco there are out there and the characteristics of each. It also gives a few blends that are examples of each genre.

I would recommend that you find one that strikes your fancy and then go out and find it. Most of what they list on there are tinned blends but if your local tobacconist has bulk blends then you can figure out what type of tobacco you would like to try (Virginia for example) and then go to the tobacconist and see if they have a house blend of that type. I'll probably say this 100 times on here but, just as with cigars, it's mostly trial and error. What works for me might not work for you and so on and so on.

Alpha Puffer Fish

Scott, great idea for a thread!
    Inactive member

Feel free to chime in anytime FJ. We gotta help these guys out!!!

Puffer Fish with some spikes adamsdb's Avatar

Anyone up for a newbie trade. Like I said before, I have a big CBid order coming in this week so my funds are seriously restricted. Although, I am willing to trade some cigars for a pipe starter kit. Anyone interested? My humi isn't like some of those oon here, but I can probably put something together that will be worth thee while.
    GetThePuck.com - The Puck-ifier™ & RH Beads™- Precision Humidity Control Made Simple!
    Cigarmony.com - Luxury Cigar Accessories & Apparel

Leading Puffer Fish WarHorse-cl's Avatar

Great thread Scott. I'm subscribed, tuned in and takin notes! Thanks to all for the great comments so far.

I'm glad that everyone is finding this thread helpful. Come on, there's got to be more questions out there.

Puffer Fish with some spikes adamsdb's Avatar

Okay, I don't mean to hoard the thread, but I will go ahead anyway. Will my torch lighter work for lighting the tobacco or should I go to matches or a standard flame lighter?
    GetThePuck.com - The Puck-ifier™ & RH Beads™- Precision Humidity Control Made Simple!
    Cigarmony.com - Luxury Cigar Accessories & Apparel

Ohh Ohh me me I got a question!!! I was talking with webby when we got our chance to hang out together (which was a lot of fun) and we both mentioned that we tend to smoke our pipes more in the winter. My question is, is this a normal practice? I just find myself craving a pipe more when it is freezing outside plus (I know this part is the biggest reason) I mostly smoke aromatics (except because of crazy ass FJ I am liking lat too) so my fiancée doesn't seem to mind if I have a small bowl in the house. I have lit up a bowl a couple of times this summer but the mystique just isn’t there and I know I still enjoy smoking the pipe so the best I can figure is that it is psychologically a seasonal thing.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsdb View Post
    Okay, I don't mean to hoard the thread, but I will go ahead anyway. Will my torch lighter work for lighting the tobacco or should I go to matches or a standard flame lighter?
    DO NOT EVER AND I MEAN EVER, USE YOUR TORCH LIGHTER ON A PIPE!!! Torch lighters will scorch your pipe as they are not able to withstand the heat and flame that is put out by a torch lighter. You have to use matches or a soft flame lighter like a Zippo.

Quote Originally Posted by koolhandk View Post
    Ohh Ohh me me I got a question!!! I was talking with webby when we got our chance to hang out together (which was a lot of fun) and we both mentioned that we tend to smoke our pipes more in the winter. My question is, is this a normal practice? I just find myself craving a pipe more when it is freezing outside plus (I know this part is the biggest reason) I mostly smoke aromatics (except because of crazy ass FJ I am liking lat too) so my fiancée doesn't seem to mind if I have a small bowl in the house. I have lit up a bowl a couple of times this summer but the mystique just isn’t there and I know I still enjoy smoking the pipe so the best I can figure is that it is psychologically a seasonal thing.
    No, I think that it is normal for many reasons. I started out this way as well. Mine was more of a fact that I was busier in the summer and didn't have time to sit down and smoke a pipe. A cigar was more mobile and could go with me wherever I was going. I still usually smoke aromatics in the winter along with the heavier Latakia blends. Summer is usually Virginias and VaPer blends.

it seems to me that the taste of cigars really suffers when smoking in a cold environment, is this not the same for pipe tobaccos?

Quote Originally Posted by mikejh View Post
    it seems to me that the taste of cigars really suffers when smoking in a cold environment, is this not the same for pipe tobaccos?
    I don't think so but then again I live on the coast of North Carolina. We don't get much snow here in the winter and it very rarely gets way below freezing. I usually smoke in the garage in the winter where it's cold but not too bad.

My only thoughts would be that it wouldn't be as drastic because the tobacco is inside a container (the pipe) that heats up and stays warm the whole time that you are smoking it. You don't have that with a cigar.

Made this a sticky for you all. Scott, this is great stuff. I got to learn a ton already... perhaps sometime in the future, I will jump into the cool "pipe" end of the pool

CD
    I SMOKE cigars.

Thanks Chris!! Let me know when you're ready to come over to the dark side. Ask Webby how I tore him up when he first started with the pipe.

Page 2 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 102 ... LastLast