Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Ask a Pipe Guy

This is a discussion on Ask a Pipe Guy within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Fatmandu Roland, no harm in letting the tobacco sit for a while to dry out some. However, ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fatmandu View Post
    Roland, no harm in letting the tobacco sit for a while to dry out some. However, Esoterica has some real good quality tobacco, and a ribbon cut can be a pain to pack. The light you were taling about is also considered the 'false light'. light it up w/a few great puffs on it and then it'll go out. TAMP the then charred tobacco into the bowl and fire that sucker up again...every once in a while, (you'll figure what works for what pipes and/tobacco), GENTLY tamp it while smoking to keep the ambers on top of the un-cooked tobacco. Practice make better smoking. CHACOM is a damned good pipe and the Dublin is a great shape. Its a hobby and therefore nothing is 'wrong', things only get easier. have fun, welcome to the brierhood
    Thanks for the reply. I got things working. It was definitely the moisture that was killing the fire, as you've pointed out (found in another thread).

I read an article last night where someone was talking about expensive vs. cheap tampers. Some of his statements seemed a little superstitious, except for bad metals being present in some cheap ones. What's all the fuss--really? Seems that a good tamper might be to go to Lowes, get an 3/8" oak dowel rod, and cut you off 3" at a time. That way you'd have totally natural material. If you're picky, carve out an indent for your fingers on one end. What do ya think?

Alpha Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Ansgar View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I got things working. It was definitely the moisture that was killing the fire, as you've pointed out (found in another thread).

I read an article last night where someone was talking about expensive vs. cheap tampers. Some of his statements seemed a little superstitious, except for bad metals being present in some cheap ones. What's all the fuss--really? Seems that a good tamper might be to go to Lowes, get an 3/8" oak dowel rod, and cut you off 3" at a time. That way you'd have totally natural material. If you're picky, carve out an indent for your fingers on one end. What do ya think?
    Shoot, a freaking nail works great as well...I kno an old timer who uses the tip of his index finger...he could break a brick with that thing, it so callused over! but to tamp the outter edges of the tobacco, meaning the inner edges of the bowl is the best way to tamp. Sort of tip the 'nail' and tamp, works best in my opinion. There is no right or wrong bro, its what ever works for you, be it a 10 penny nail of a high dollar set up, a Dunhill or a cob, Lane or GLPease t'baccy. Thats the beauty of a hobby..ITS YOURS, input is subjective...take what ya like, leave what ya call BS! We got some good Pipesters here, fire away w/any questions.
    Inactive member

Newbie in the ocean

I just began to smoke a pipe-A Dr. grabow filter pipe

Puffer Fish with some spikes Steve D-cl's Avatar

Have a tobacco storage question. I just picked up a tin and haven't opened it yet. I suspect the plastic lid on the tin isn't sufficient to keep the moisture in for a while once the the tin has been opened (I'll probably get to burn a bowl every week or three). What might provide better storage. A Mason jar maybe?

Thanks,

Steve D

Mason Jar would be your best bet if you're not going to be smoking it very quickly. Yes, it will dry out if you don't do anything with it. If you are planning on smoking it faster though, a ziplock bag over the tin works great.
    Do Not Fear Death, Fear the Half-Lived Life

Quote Originally Posted by Ansgar View Post

I agree with Fatmandu on this one. I've used a nail, finger, expensive tamper, etc and they all do the job fine.

I feel that the article that you read was probably some guy's justification for spending a lot of money on something that you can buy for cheap and do the same job with!!

Hello, Ok...I'm brand new with the pipe...I have 2 and 3 tobacco blends sitting next to me waiting for me to figure out how to smoke them. I have a McBaron 50/50 Cake & Dark Twist, a McClelland 5100 Red Cake and a Samuel Gawith FVF.

My questions are:
    What does it mean to Rub it out?

Also I see alot of people getting tobacco and then drying it out. Any idea why it doesn't just come dryer? Such as in the case of bulk cigarette tobacco.

And a local rep here was telling me about Savenelli pipes and the use of their filter system. Would a filter be better, worse, easier, harder or just personal preference?

Thanks!

Peanut

Elder Puffer Fish Leader happy1's Avatar

Pm sent P-Nut
    It is fatal to enter any war without the will to win it.
    Douglas MacArthur

Thanks for that Happy1...

Quote Originally Posted by Peanut View Post
    Hello, Ok...I'm brand new with the pipe...I have 2 and 3 tobacco blends sitting next to me waiting for me to figure out how to smoke them. I have a McBaron 50/50 Cake & Dark Twist, a McClelland 5100 Red Cake and a Samuel Gawith FVF.

My questions are:
    What does it mean to Rub it out?

Also I see alot of people getting tobacco and then drying it out. Any idea why it doesn't just come dryer? Such as in the case of bulk cigarette tobacco.

And a local rep here was telling me about Savenelli pipes and the use of their filter system. Would a filter be better, worse, easier, harder or just personal preference?

Thanks!

Peanut
    Great questions!!

Rubbing out is the act of breaking the tobacco up into smaller pieces. With most cut tobacco you don't need to do this. You will with flakes or broken flakes. Just put the tobacco in one palm and then rub it together with the other palm in a circular motion. This is what is called "rubbing the tobacco out".

Also as far as the tobacco wetness goes, the culprit is usually what we in the pipe world refer to as PG (the chemical Propylene Glycol). These are notorious in bulk blends but also in some of the tinned blends. The reason that manufacturers do this, especially in bulk blends, is so that the tobacco doesn't dry out on the shelves while it is waiting to be sold. Another reason that manufacturers sell it this way is because not everyone has the same preference for how moist they like their tobacco when they smoke it. I know guys who smoke it wet and other guys that like it bone dry.

As far as filters, it's a personal preference thing. I don't prefer them because it makes it impossible to pass a pipe cleaner down the stem in case you get a little moisture in the bottom while you're smoking. Some people love them, some people hate them. Try them out and see what you think.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Back near the top of page two (post #37) of this thread, Travelinj had asked a question about what classifies a pipe as a Starter pipe. I'd like to hear the answer to this also.

Being a newbie in the pipe field, I smoked my first bowl last night when a friend from the golf course came over and brought a couple of pipes. Cool looking carved Danish pipes of some kind.

Yep, I'm hooked. Now I know the IRA is set to wipe me out next week, and I've read where it's not good practice to use the same pipe on different flavors of tobacco, so I see a need to acquire a number of pipes! I'm not the kind of guy to go gently into anything that I think I'm going to enjoy. This is represented by my having over $2000 worth of clubs in my golf bag after only 2 years of golfing. I DO get obsessive about some things!

I see no use in spending $40 or so on a pipe right now, if it'll end up just sitting in a box somewhere once I really get into things. I'd rather go on the hunt for good quality pipes that will serve me well for years to come.

Can you shed a little light on the whole Starter pipe thing for us all?

Thanks!
    BOOSA

Alpha Puffer Fish

Hey pipester, if you are convinced that yer going to smoke a pipe for quite some time, I say go for it. If yer on the fence, and a starter pipe is, IMO, one that is relatively inexpensive and one that can be used to practice packing, breathing, clenching (which can put a hurt'n on a stem)..etc...starter, beginner,, practice, all synonomous. Also, another way to look at it is a pipe is an investment, it will last literally generations with proper care. Now what make one, say $100. pipe, a starter opposed to one that costs $500., only you can decide. I've seen some go for $1400. and personally kno of guys who wouldnt smoke one less than $500. Personal preference I suspect,. You can get one helluva smoke in a Savanelli for $45. and be hooked on Savvies. It's a hobby Brother, not a contest. There is such a thing out there as the 'Society of the Corn-Cob Snobs". Self indulged name, but thats all they smoke...get'n the job/hobby done at litle expense. When they burn out, toss it, buy another $5-$10. cob and....GET "ER DONE!
    Inactive member

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Fatmandu View Post
    Hey pipester, if you are convinced that yer going to smoke a pipe for quite some time, I say go for it. If yer on the fence, and a starter pipe is, IMO, one that is relatively inexpensive and one that can be used to practice packing, breathing, clenching (which can put a hurt'n on a stem)..etc...starter, beginner,, practice, all synonomous. Also, another way to look at it is a pipe is an investment, it will last literally generations with proper care. Now what make one, say $100. pipe, a starter opposed to one that costs $500., only you can decide. I've seen some go for $1400. and personally kno of guys who wouldnt smoke one less than $500. Personal preference I suspect,. You can get one helluva smoke in a Savanelli for $45. and be hooked on Savvies. It's a hobby Brother, not a contest. There is such a thing out there as the 'Society of the Corn-Cob Snobs". Self indulged name, but thats all they smoke...get'n the job/hobby done at litle expense. When they burn out, toss it, buy another $5-$10. cob and....GET "ER DONE!
    OK then so we're not talking about limited lifespan, which I think is what Travelinj was questioning, and what I was wondering about. I was concerned about there being lifespan on some pipes as to either stems wearing out, bowls cracking etc after much use. Heck if a $20-$40 pipe can last a lifetime, then absolutely, they will be sought out! I will certainly be looking into the Savanelli you speak of too!

Good info FJ, and I appreciate it!

Corn-Cob Snobs! LOL. Sounds like a blast!
    BOOSA

Alpha Puffer Fish

Now there is good, better, best briar, ofcourse you know more of that that I do with yer wood working. The 'burl' is often used as I believe MOST of the briar root is, meaning good, better, best. I have some better, and man they are feather light and my grandsons grandson will be able to use them. I also have one that i couldnt find anywhere on the net that i bought in Germany many year ago, it smokes hot, due to the thickness or lack thereof in the bowl, but a very good smoke just the same. I just have to slow it down and not let it get too hot. Its a journey Bro, you'll discover what you like more than others as time goes on. Also remember, what you can pay for a box of gars, say $6-7 per X's 20 per box...thats a pretty good LOOOOONG lasting pipe.
    Inactive member

Newbie in the ocean

I have recently been smoking filter pipes. Does anyone recommend a special type? I've been using the Dr Grabow filters with my Dr gr pipes. Can other 9mm filters be used with these pipes also? And can any 9mm filter work with any pipe that accepts these size filters? thanks

Page 5 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 105 ... LastLast