Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 54 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 104 ... LastLast

Ask a Pipe Guy

This is a discussion on Ask a Pipe Guy within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Mister Moo 91% is more solvent and less water than the 70% FWIW; it'll ooze more goo ...

Re: Ask a Pipe Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
    91% is more solvent and less water than the 70% FWIW; it'll ooze more goo and dry faster. shrug.

Speaking of campstoves ("Dad! Stop! I already know this!"), and I know this sounds alarmist, but you really shouldn't be smoking a pipe when you're Everclear- or isopropanol-ing a pipe. It is wise to recap the bottle the instant you've poured or eyedropped or pipecleaner-dipped or whatever it is you're doing. A spill and a spark can be catastrophic in about 1/2 a second with these juices. Also extra bad to have the stuff open with kids or pets around; they are experts at knocking things over. Yo, dog.
    I didn't even look at the alcohol content at the store. I thought they were all the same so just grabbed the cheapest one!

so i have whiskey and vodka. both at 40%. will whiskey leave a taste behind? if i swapped it. or used cottonballs?

I have used whiskey many times and have not noticed any residual flavor.
    The world is a better place when the Buffalo Bills are winning.

Quote Originally Posted by EvoFX View Post
    so i have whiskey and vodka. both at 40%. will whiskey leave a taste behind? if i swapped it. or used cottonballs?
    They would be fine, but Everclear has over twice
    the alcohol and the alcohol is what does the job.
    THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish InsidiousTact's Avatar

I use everclear so I don't know about the flavoring personally, but dub said that rum or whiskey would leave behind a bit of flavor, but he enjoys that flavor. If you like the whiskey flavors, give it a try.
    To be governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction, noted, registered, enrolled, taxed..., forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

i love whiskey flavors, so ill probably do that. though there are times i would not want that, so might have to find myself some everclear. i not sure they sell it in the bayarea? then again i have not really looked. but if not ill just get some cheap vodka if its necessary

Puffer Fish with many spikes WWhermit's Avatar

i love whiskey flavors, so ill probably do that. though there are times i would not want that, so might have to find myself some everclear. i not sure they sell it in the bayarea? then again i have not really looked. but if not ill just get some cheap vodka if its necessary
    If you have BevMo in the Bay Area, try them. They carry the 151 proof Everclear. For the good stuff, the 190 proof Everclear, I got mine in Oregon.

WWhermit
    A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. -Albert Einstein
    My humble cellar.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes cp478's Avatar

I use either everclear or bacardi 151.
    the 151 leaves a very very slight rum residual in the pipe. But it is very faint!
    Corporal Punishment!

How long does the rum taste remain?

In my opinion it just stuck around for a bowl or two.

I recently switched to Vodka because it has less of an after taste.....if any at all.
    Do Not Fear Death, Fear the Half-Lived Life

ok, so CA does not legally sell Everclear, but i am going back to school in idaho which does. so i am set then

so i cant edit my posts? sorry to double post then.

is any of the frog morton series aromatic?

Puffer Fish with some spikes Jogi's Avatar

Question Re: Ask a Pipe Guy

Gentlemen, my problem is that while having a bowl, I (almost) drool like a baby eating his first ever biscuit... 2 or 3 puffs and my mouth is full of saliva... What could be the reasons and how to overcome this problem??

Puffer Fish with some spikes jfdiii's Avatar

If this question has been asked, I apologize for not finding it.
    If I am careful is it OK to widen the airway in the stem and shank with a drill bit? I really like the open draws on my cobs and have a few briars that just don't smoke that well.

Puffer Fish with many spikes WWhermit's Avatar

so i cant edit my posts? sorry to double post then.

is any of the frog morton series aromatic?
    No, at least in my opinion. Some classify them as english/aromatics, but when I think of aromatics, the "leathery and buttery" taste of latakia falls into the english category, therefore in my opinion, all of the Frog Mortons are english based blends, although with differing characteristics. One (OTB) has a perique base, another uses Syrian tobacco, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jogi View Post
    Gentlemen, my problem is that while having a bowl, I (almost) drool like a baby eating his first ever biscuit... 2 or 3 puffs and my mouth is full of saliva... What could be the reasons and how to overcome this problem??
    The salivation is a response to the nicotine. 2 ways to deal with it.

1. Spit it out, and develop a habit of pipe smoking and spitting.

2. Swallow it. I've found that if you, heh, swallow as opposed to spit, over time you will salivate much less.

Quote Originally Posted by jfdiii View Post
    If this question has been asked, I apologize for not finding it.
    If I am careful is it OK to widen the airway in the stem and shank with a drill bit? I really like the open draws on my cobs and have a few briars that just don't smoke that well.
    I've had 2 pipes "opened up", but these were expensive pipes that I didn't want to damage, so had them sent out. You can certainly do it yourself, but it is recommended to do it in small increments until the desired diameter is reached, and do not use a drill. Put the drill bit into a hand chuck and do it by hand. The walls of stems and pipes are sometimes very thin, and the risk of breaking through a wall is very real.

Hope this all helps you!
    WWhermit
    Last edited by WWhermit; 01-14-2011 at 12:52 AM. Reason: clarification.
    A person starts to live when he can live outside himself. -Albert Einstein
    My humble cellar.

Page 54 of 106 FirstFirst ... 4 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 104 ... LastLast