Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 8 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast

Ask a Pipe Guy

This is a discussion on Ask a Pipe Guy within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by WarHorse-cl Great thread Scott. I'm subscribed, tuned in and takin notes! Thanks to all for the great ...

IHT

Re: Ask a Pipe Guy

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse-cl View Post
    Great thread Scott. I'm subscribed, tuned in and takin notes! Thanks to all for the great comments so far.
    hey warhorse. we never got a chance to hang out...
    i PM'ed you a while back on SF, but i rarely go there.

maybe one of these days we can meet for chow downtown and have a pipe.

OH, we're also having a get together down at Bonner Springs TOMORROW... there's a topic about it in the "herf section".

edit: holy chit, i thought this was a new topic.. must've been one transferred over from "live".
    scott, it's my damn ADD, i'm tellin ya.
    "To be second guessed, you have to be the first guesser."

Quote Originally Posted by bradleycheuk View Post
    I was an ex-cigarette smoker before I got into Cigars because I really enjoyed the finer tobacco. I guess you can say I dipped my toes in Cigars but I don't really enjoy it as much as I thought I did before because I find the taste too harsh and they're rather fragile to keep well. So I would really be interested in starting a pipe because first of all it looks very cool, I like having a solid object that I can reuse over and over again and I like the fact that I need to pack my own tobacco which makes it more personal. So I know I need to get a pipe but that's about all I know. I know there are many different pipe shapes and sizes so does it really matter or are they just for looks? What are some good mild tobacco that I can put into the pipe? How do I keep my pipe clean? How do I light a pipe?
    That's a lot of questions. Don't have time right now to answer all, but this link is a good place to start.
    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=175150

Noobs, go here: cigarbid.com

pipe smokin' duck hunter Hendu3270's Avatar

Quick question for the pros.

I'm getting better at keeping my pipe lit for a longer period of time and also have been able to bring the heat of my pipe waaay down. Much more enjoyable now. HoweverI still want to make sure I'm packing it propertly. I'm just thinking maybe it would stay lit for the entire smoke if I was doing something differently when packing.

I do the three step pack....however, I read all this stuff about sprinkling loosely with the last amount of tobacco added on till it is "mounded" up about a half inch. My tobacco is strips that DO NOT mound up or "sprinkle" easily into the bowl. They have to be worked down into the bowl. Do I need to look for a particular "cut" of tobacco to get a better burning bowl?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hendu3270 View Post
    Quick question for the pros.

I'm getting better at keeping my pipe lit for a longer period of time and also have been able to bring the heat of my pipe waaay down. Much more enjoyable now. HoweverI still want to make sure I'm packing it propertly. I'm just thinking maybe it would stay lit for the entire smoke if I was doing something differently when packing.

I do the three step pack....however, I read all this stuff about sprinkling loosely with the last amount of tobacco added on till it is "mounded" up about a half inch. My tobacco is strips that DO NOT mound up or "sprinkle" easily into the bowl. They have to be worked down into the bowl. Do I need to look for a particular "cut" of tobacco to get a better burning bowl?
    It will all fall in place with practice and experience. Just keep smoking
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    It will all fall in place with practice and experience. Just keep smoking
    I plan on doing that most definitely.

But along with all the different types of tobacco's out there, do I also need to be attempting to decide what "cut" of tobacco I prefer as well?

I plan on doing that most definitely.

But along with all the different types of tobacco's out there, do I also need to be attempting to decide what "cut" of tobacco I prefer as well?
    I don't see any need to worry about it. You'll take a liking to one style or other as you get a little more time on your pipes. If you do want to search for that certain cut sign up for the newbie sampler trade in the WTS/B/T forums (you can only access them after a certain number of posts, soon if not already) http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/wts-b-t-pipe-stuff/ and those samples will help you experience the different cuts of tobacco

Good deal. Thanks Mad!

Full grown Puffer Fish SmokinJohnny's Avatar

I agree with Hatter, it will come to you. Sounds like you got the basics down. I've been doing just the three step pack followed by the false light and true light and it seems to work for me. But there is no one "right" way to do it really. Depends on the cut too like you inquire.

Cuts seem to depend on your favorite tobacco. The course cuts and ribbon cuts are just what my favorite tobaccos happen to be. They all take getting used to. Uhle's Perfection Plug Burley (my absolute favorite) is like bird gravel and that took some getting used to.

It's better to relight than smoke your pipe too hot. That way your getting the flavor.

Give me tobacco or give me death

ghe
    Leading Puffer Fish

I'm curious to know whether pipe tobacco is grown in the areas known for cigar tobacco, such as Cuba, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Mexica and Honduras.

I don't see any need to worry about it. You'll take a liking to one style or other as you get a little more time on your pipes. If you do want to search for that certain cut sign up for the newbie sampler trade in the WTS/B/T forums (you can only access them after a certain number of posts, soon if not already) http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/wts-b-t-pipe-stuff/ and those samples will help you experience the different cuts of tobacco
    I guess I don't have enough posts because it won't let me in. Don"t see what the requirements are either. No biggie....just rockin' along. I did just order a Bjarne Freehand today. Beautiful pipe!

I guess I don't have enough posts because it won't let me in. Don"t see what the requirements are either. No biggie....just rockin' along. I did just order a Bjarne Freehand today. Beautiful pipe!
    I read in an older post you have to have a post count of 20 to access that forum

I read in an older post you have to have a post count of 20 to access that forum
    Ahh, I gotcha. I'll check it out once I have the ability.

Quote Originally Posted by ghe View Post
    I'm curious to know whether pipe tobacco is grown in the areas known for cigar tobacco, such as Cuba, Nicaragua, Dominican Republic, Mexica and Honduras.

Some is grown in those areas although the tobacco for cigars is a bit different. Such as Perique, which is a spice tobacco, is mostly grown in Louisiana. Then you have all of your Virginia tobaccos which may or may not be actually grown in Virginia. Same goes for Kentucky tobaccos.

It's very confusing actually.
    Do Not Fear Death, Fear the Half-Lived Life

Newbie in the ocean

Hey i don't know if any1 has gone over this or not in this forum so i apologize if i am repeating a question asked by another Puff Member. Well I'm new to Pipes, And i am wondering what are the Pro's and Con's to Wood and Steel Bowls. So Wood Vs Steel.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHardAlbo View Post
    Hey i don't know if any1 has gone over this or not in this forum so i apologize if i am repeating a question asked by another Puff Member. Well I'm new to Pipes, And i am wondering what are the Pro's and Con's to Wood and Steel Bowls. So Wood Vs Steel.
    I don't think I've ever heard a good thing about a pipe with a metal bowl, not that there are a lot of them to be had. Metal doesn't cool the way wooden bowls do. There are metal pipes with wooden bowls that have a following but again the bowls are briar not metal.

Page 8 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast