Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 9 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast

Ask a Pipe Guy

This is a discussion on Ask a Pipe Guy within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by SmokinJohnny Also, the stem hole should enter the bowl hole at the very bottom. Otherwise it creates ...

pipe smokin' duck hunter Hendu3270's Avatar

Re: Ask a Pipe Guy

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinJohnny View Post
    Also, the stem hole should enter the bowl hole at the very bottom. Otherwise it creates a condensate trap. Post if your pipe has this problem. There is a simple fix.

Alright Johnny, Let's here the simple fix. I now have a pipe that the hole is not all the way to the bottom of my bowl.

Newbie in the ocean

question:

I'm new and trying to learn this.

I've tried two packing methods, the one where you do 3 stages and progressive tamp harder, and the frank method.

I have trouble keeping my pipe lit with both methods. the 3 stage method I can't even keep it lit more than a couple puffs, and with the frank method I can keep it lit until I burn thru the top layer, and then the bottom 3/4 of a bowl I have to constantly relight.

any tips?

am I packing too softly?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by MMA_Alex View Post
    question:

I'm new and trying to learn this.

I've tried two packing methods, the one where you do 3 stages and progressive tamp harder, and the frank method.

I have trouble keeping my pipe lit with both methods. the 3 stage method I can't even keep it lit more than a couple puffs, and with the frank method I can keep it lit until I burn thru the top layer, and then the bottom 3/4 of a bowl I have to constantly relight.

any tips?

am I packing too softly?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    I'm not an expert, but with the 3 stage method you might be tamping too hard. I've found that if I just barely press down with my tamper my pipe stays lit, for the most part.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Requiem's Avatar

I usually fill the pipe with a pipe cleaner placed in the bowl, all the way through the stem (if having trouble doing it, just insert the pipe cleaner through the shank and place the stem after filling the pipe). Works great!

Cigars, Guns, and Booze pro2625's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
    I usually fill the pipe with a pipe cleaner placed in the bowl, all the way through the stem (if having trouble doing it, just insert the pipe cleaner through the shank and place the stem after filling the pipe). Works great!
    Thats a good tip....Im going to have to try this out Thanks

Full grown Puffer Fish SmokinJohnny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hendu3270 View Post
    Alright Johnny, Let's here the simple fix. I now have a pipe that the hole is not all the way to the bottom of my bowl.
    Sorry I missed your post. I haven't monitored this thread. This is off a link. I tried this and it works pretty well. Since sugar is often used in tobacco casing, I can't see the honey being a problem. I used a pipe nail to aid in trowling out the mix. For me, it caked over with carbon after a few bowls and pipe sweetner hasn't disolved it.

Fixing an Improperly Drilled Airway

If you've bought more than a few pipes in your pipe smoking life then you've probably seen a mis-drilled pipe bowl. The most common type of mis-drilling is where the airway into the bottom of the bowl is higher than the actual bowl bottom. Sometimes this is slight and sometimes severe. Typically this can been seen on less expensive pipes of all makes. The problem with this is that it usually leads to a wet smoking pipe that gurgles and rarely burn the tobacco all the way to the bottom. Fortunately there is an fast and easy way to fix this problem and best of all it cost nothing but time. Here is the fix:

First take some cool, completely burned pipe ash and with the back end of a spoon crush the ash to a fine powder. Next take about a 1/2 teaspoon of honey and begin to mix in the powdered pipe ash until the mix has a slightly grainy texture. Now take a pipe cleaner and insert it into the bowl's airway until it barely peeks into the bowl. This will keep the mix from blocking the airway. Put the pipe in a stable pipe stand and begin to drizzle the ash mix into the bowl bottom. Be very careful not to get any of the mix on the pipe itself. Start slowing with just a little bit. Allow the mix to settle and level out. Should more be needed add it sparingly a little at time until the mixture becomes flush with the bottom of the airway hole. Set the pipe aside for a day or two to allow the mix to harden. Finally load the pipe halfway and smoke the bowl all the way to the bottom. Tamp while smoking but do not dump the pipe ash when you are finished. Allow the ash and bowl to cool before removing the ash. This and the next few bowls will cure and harden the ash mix. You'll then have a bowl that will smoke dry as it should. Happy Smoking!
    Last edited by SmokinJohnny; 02-24-2009 at 07:34 PM.
    Give me tobacco or give me death

Puffer Fish with some spikes jfox520's Avatar

I am going to try smoking a pipe but I am not sure what tobacco to try. I smoke cigars and my taste run medium to full flavor cigars. Do you have any suggestions.

I would suggest a virginia/perique blend like Telegraph Hill, Escudo or even Bullseye Flake. You get a nice spicy taste from these and it would most likely suit a cigar smoker well. Key Largo is a nice blend that has some cigar leaf in it and you may find this to your liking as well. Luxury Navy Flake is another blend that I might suggest, it gives a sweet taste without the cloying coating of ones mouth that an aromatic tobacco produces.
    Just some of my favorites, I am sure there will be many suggestions from the other FOGs.
    Good judgement comes from experience and
    a lotta' that comes from bad judgement.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfox520 View Post
    I am going to try smoking a pipe but I am not sure what tobacco to try. I smoke cigars and my taste run medium to full flavor cigars. Do you have any suggestions.
    Easy start - a corncob pipe and some Carter Hall or Prince Alberts. Not glamorous, just good.
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

pipe smokin' duck hunter Hendu3270's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dogsplayinpoker View Post
    ...............without the cloying coating of ones mouth that an aromatic tobacco produces.

Could you elaborate on what exactly you mean when you say "cloying coating"? I've recently started smoking pipes (been smoking cigars for a couple of years) and I've only smoked aromatics in my pipes thus far. I'm just curious if it's something I've experienced and didn't know it.

what are some options, or ways to fix a loose stem? or air leaking between shank and stem

Puffer Fish with some spikes IrishCamel81's Avatar

My IK Meerschaum has been having a tough draw lately. I looked in the stem and notice same flaking coming down from the top. It wont come out with a cleaner so I am pretty sure it is not tobacco but likely part of the stem. There is nearly a 50% blockage of the airway, what can I do to fix this?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EvoFX View Post
    what are some options, or ways to fix a loose stem? or air leaking between shank and stem
    I rub the tenon (?) down with candle wax. Is it loose before you smoke it or after. Sometimes the wood can dry out and that causes this problem. Smoking it will remedy that. Also a pipe cleaner soaked in alcohol left in the shank will work too.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishCamel81 View Post
    My IK Meerschaum has been having a tough draw lately. I looked in the stem and notice same flaking coming down from the top. It wont come out with a cleaner so I am pretty sure it is not tobacco but likely part of the stem. There is nearly a 50% blockage of the airway, what can I do to fix this?
    Have you tried a bristle pipe cleaner. If that does't work, maybe a piece of wire. Look around the house and see what you've got.
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

Quote Originally Posted by Hendu3270 View Post
    Could you elaborate on what exactly you mean when you say "cloying coating"? I've recently started smoking pipes (been smoking cigars for a couple of years) and I've only smoked aromatics in my pipes thus far. I'm just curious if it's something I've experienced and didn't know it.
    The lining of my mouth often feels like it is coated, like a medicated feeling especially on the cheek, when I smoke most aromatics. I don't get this from other types of tobaccos.
    It is not an extreme sensation just don't like it at all.
    Good judgement comes from experience and
    a lotta' that comes from bad judgement.

Ask me why I dinged Black Mister Moo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    ...Sometimes the wood can dry out and that causes this problem. Smoking it will remedy that. Also a pipe cleaner soaked in alcohol left in the shank will work too.
    I've have good luck with hot beeswax rubbed on one or two pipe tenons; all the others that go loose have tightened right up after a smoke or two. I have heard about painting a coat of clear nailpolish on a tenon but it has never come to that in my world.

Did you ever actually do the "alcohol in the shank" thingie?
    "But with a little bit of luck You'll run amok!"

Page 9 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast