Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 106 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Ask a Pipe Guy

This is a discussion on Ask a Pipe Guy within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I was just writing a PM to a new pipe smoker about answering any questions that he had and realized ...

Ask a Pipe Guy

I was just writing a PM to a new pipe smoker about answering any questions that he had and realized that I could do this on a wider level.

I have noticed that there is a high level of "pay it forward" mentality in the pipe community. Everyone was a new, frustrated and curious pipe smoker at one time or another. And most of us had a person or persons who took us under their wing and answered questions and gave advice to help out the newer pipe smokers.

Well, I'm offering it to anyone here on the forum who is a new pipe smoker or is interested in pipe smoking. I've smoked cigars for over 11 years and have dabbled in pipe smoking for most of those years but only got really serious about it about a year ago.

Ask me here or shoot me a PM. If I can't answer your question right away then I'll find the answer and get back to you.

Moderator, can you please make this a sticky thread? Thanks.
    Do Not Fear Death, Fear the Half-Lived Life

hey hey, i have one.
    during my first bowl which was the st james wood, i felt like the smoke was even lighter than i expected it would be, at some points i wasnt even sure i had smoke in my mouth until i blew it out

any thoughts

How much smoke did you have in your mouth? Smoking a pipe is different than smoking a cigar and it is sometimes hard to make that transition. With smoking a cigar you usually have a whole mouthful of smoke and you can really taste it in there. With a pipe you usually don't have that much smoke unless you are lighting it up. Also, if the pipe is starting to go out then there will be less smoke in there and it is harder to taste.

hmm, interesting, id never really read that anywhere, definately had much more on the light up but then the amount declined afterwards and just wasnt sure if that was normal or not, that helps though

Full grown Puffer Fish TravelingJ-cl's Avatar

How do you pack it so that it actually stays lit?
    I travel a lot, I blog a little. Food, cities, RV parks, and B&M's.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
    How do you pack it so that it actually stays lit?

Ahhh, that is the age old question and one that I'm not sure anyone knows the answer to. There are a ton of different styles, the three part pack, the Frank Method, the gravity method, the fill and stuff, etc.

I think that a lot depends on the pipe and also the cut of tobacco. If it is a loose cut tobacco or a ribbon cut then I usually use the three part pack. If it is a rubbed out flake or cube cut blend then I usually fill the bowl to the top and then grab a pinch more between my thumb and forefinger and stuff it down until that is even with the top of the pipe. You don't want to pack rubbed out flake or cube cut too tightly because it takes longer to burn and needs more air to accomplish this.

The other factors that can effect this are the wetness of the tobacco ahead of time, how hard you puff on it and the type of tobacco involved. Steam is a natural by-product from the burning of the tobacco. If the tobacco is really wet ahead of time then this adds to that steam. If you over puff the blend just to try and keep it lit then that adds even more steam to the mix. All this moisture involved is going to make it harder and harder to keep the bowl lit.

The easiest way to combat this moisture is to dry out the blend to your preferance ahead of time and then try and smoke the pipe slowly. If your pipe starts to go out then let it rather than puffing like a steam engine to try and keep it lit. All of that moisture and steam can also alter the taste of the tobacco to something that is far from pleasant. Why ruin the rest of the bowl when you can simply just light another match and start it back up again.

It does take some time. And I know that it is frustrating but it does come along eventually. And even then it's not always 100%. You will slowly but surely figure out how to smoke your favorite blends. For example, I smoke a lot of Samuel Gawith's Best Brown. It comes in a flake and I rub it out as much as I can. I dry it immediately after I rub it out and then put it away to smoke later. When I want a bowl, I dry it out again just to make sure that most of the moisture is out of it. I then use the fill and stuff method in a bent bulldog pipe. Why a bent bulldog? I don't know. I just found that this blend burns better and tastes better in this shape pipe rather than the Zulu and straight billiards that I have. I know that the first part of the bowl will be a challenge to keep lit but if I persevere then once I hit 1/3 of the bowl through that it will smoke all of the way to the bottom.

That knowledge only comes through many bowls of trial and error. Smoking a pipe is definitely a practice in patience. One that I think will last your entire pipe smoking career.

Puffer Fish with some spikes adamsdb's Avatar

I have always been intrigued by pipe smoking. I have even thought about giving it a whirl to try it out. However, I don't want to invest a whole bunch of money for something that I may not take up regularly. How much money should I be willing to spend to get started? Then, how much will it cost to continue to smoke if I decide to continue? is it comparable to cigar smoking?

Thanks,
    GetThePuck.com - The Puck-ifier™ & RH Beads™- Precision Humidity Control Made Simple!
    Cigarmony.com - Luxury Cigar Accessories & Apparel

Other Other White Meat Rowdymon's Avatar

Dwain

I think it depends on what your disposable income is...

When I decided I wanted to give pipe smoking a try I put on a budget of $100 to get the pipe, accessories and some various tobacco products to try...

You can start out with a corncob pipe as many have suggested here...I've seen them for as little as $5, get a few pipe cleaners $2-3, a tamper...$1-5, and some baccy...mine was $3 an oz...and go...

I would say pick a budget you are comfy spending and make it work that way...then again, I bought my first pipe Saturday...so what do I know...LOL
    "Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo."
    - H. G. Wells (1866-1946)

Puffer Fish with some spikes Mithrandir-cl's Avatar

Great thread,

Just received my first pipe kit today---medium meer, 5 pack sampler of English tobacco, tool and pipe cleaners. Been reading a lot on the subject and am happy to see this thread. Will probably field test the pipe sometime this week.

Sam
    All we have to decide Frodo, is what we do with the time we've been given.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsdb View Post
    I have always been intrigued by pipe smoking. I have even thought about giving it a whirl to try it out. However, I don't want to invest a whole bunch of money for something that I may not take up regularly. How much money should I be willing to spend to get started? Then, how much will it cost to continue to smoke if I decide to continue? is it comparable to cigar smoking?

Thanks,
    Okay, first let me preface this by saying that I still love to smoke cigars. Much to my wife's dismay I an firmly entrenched in both the slippery slope of cigars and pipe smoking. Not trying to talk anyone out of cigars but just writing this for people who are interested in pipe smoking.

Now that that is out of the way, to answer your last question first and then a little Economics lesson, it is actually a lot cheaper than smoking cigars. This is why there seems to be a resurgence of pipe smoking especially in the younger, college student area. We were all broke once and know how this goes.

Let's dig a little deeper. I think that I have posted this somewhere else but I'll go over it again. The normal average is about 10 bowls of pipe tobacco per ounce of pipe tobacco. Each bowl normally lasts about an hour, similar to a cigar. Now most pipe tobacco tins are around 2 ounces, which is 20 bowls worth or 20 hours of smoking pleasure. Let's say that an average price for a 2 ounce tin of pipe tobacco is $9.00. When you divide that $9 by the 20 bowls that are in there you come out with .45 cents per bowl.

Now lets do the same with one of my favorite cigars. A box of 20 El Rey del Mundo Robustos costs $64 on JR's website which is the cheapest that I can find. Now divde that $64 by the 20 cigars and you get $3.20 per cigar.

As you can see, it is $2.75 cheaper to smoke a bowl of the pipe tobacco than to smoke a cigar. Talk about savings!!

Now let's talk about the start-up cost. Like most hobbies, you can spend as much or as little as you want to get started. If you don't want to invest a lot up front, and I don't blame you, then let's talk about what you really need to get started.

The Pipe
    You can buy an expensive briar or what most people do when they get started is buy a few corn cob pipes. They are usually around $5 and you can get them at most drug stores or tobacconists.

There are also a ton, and I mean a ton, of Estate Pipes which are for sale on ebay. What "Estate" means is a formaly smoked pipe that has been cleaned up to sell. These can range in prices but you can usually find a decent one for around $20

The Tobacco
    Any tobacconist worth their salt will have some house blends available for purchase in bulk. They usually run around $2 for an ounce so you can get a bunch of different ones to find out your preference without dropping a wad of cashola. Once you find out your preferences then you can start exploring the world of pipe tobacco. If you think that there are a lot of cigar manufacturers and blends out there you haven't seen anything until you start researching pipe tobacco blends.

The Tools
    You will need a pipe tool which usually has a tamper, scraper, and a poker all wrapped into one. These are usually about $2.

You will also need a pack of pipe cleaners. These usually run around $1.50 for 40 of them.

And that's all you need to get started. Let's break that down in the cheapest possible way:

$5 - corn cob pipe
    $2 - an ounce of pipe tobacco
    $2 - pipe tool
    $1.50 - pipe cleaners

$10.50 - Total start-up costs.

Probably not as much as you though it would be is it?

Puffer Fish with some spikes Mithrandir-cl's Avatar

My pipe kit was $43.....medium meer, 5 different 1 oz. English blends, tool and pipe cleaners. I'll be using wooden matches for lighting. Have a ton of them for my cigars. I remember when an ounce of pot was $15. That was about 40 years ago.
    All we have to decide Frodo, is what we do with the time we've been given.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Dun killin time's Avatar

My B&M carries a lot of different bulk brands McClelland, Dan/CAO, Dunhill, and of course Lane. my question is are these the same as the stuff in the tins? Is there more PG in the bulk stuff? If I like say, Blue Note, #965, or MC 5100 red cake, IYO would it be even better from a tin?

BTW I have yet to find a CAO that I didn't like!! though I've only tried 3, my favorite aero & non aero are CAO/Dan blends.

Quote Originally Posted by adamsdb View Post

Thanks,
    Let me preface everything I am going to say with this: we are a cigar store that offers a limited selection of pipe tobacco and even more limited selection of pipes, just enough to offer a service to customers, not get into the pipe business.

We offer two different "levels" of pipes: $30 "basket" pipes and then one single brand of "premium" pipes: Peterson. We only offer the regular lines from Peterson, not high grades, so we don't carry a pipe that costs more than $150, and few that we carry cost more than $100.

Here's what we generally suggest for someone who is getting started and doesn't know if they will stick with it: buy one of the basket pipes (most stores will offer something like this), as this will be something that you can afford to not use if you don't stick with it, but on the other hand, will be a decent starter pipe if you start to enjoy smoking a pipe and really turn into a serious pipe smoker. Then, we have samples both to smell and taste of our tobaccos (all tinned, no bulk). Most people can decide pretty quickly whether they want to start with aromatic tobaccos or whether they want a mild virginia or english blend (and some do opt for something like Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe). When a person is making a purchase like this we know they are unsure about what they want as they are both new to it and don't even know if they will continue with it. Also, things like tampers and pipe cleaners are high-margin items for retailers. So, if a person buys a basket pipe and a tin of tobacco then I always through in a tamper and a bag of pipe cleaners, and possibly even a plastic folding pipe stand if they are buying multiple tins or a Peterson instead of a basket pipe. I want their first experience with a pipe to be enjoyable, not something they regret if they don't enjoy it at first or have trouble getting used to it. I guess what I am saying is that if you are willing to invest up to $40-$50 for a starter pipe and a tin or two of some premium tobacco then you will quickly be able to learn whether or not you might enjoy learning to smoke a pipe. It can be done for less than that, but if you can afford $40 to give it a try then you will really get some decent quality tobacco and starter pipe. You wouldn't want your experience to be ruined by the tobacco itself. However, the corncob pipe mentioned is certainly a good option for even less money.

Now, let's say that you do enjoy it and become a true pipe smoker. To answer your question I would say that cost-wise it is quite similar to cigar smoking and both cigar smoking and pipe smoking are hobbies that are limited only by your budget. While enough super-premium pipe tobacco for a 1 hour smoke costs a lot less than a super-premium cigar, you will find yourself developing two very serious disorders: P.A.D. & T.A.D. (Pipe Acquisition Disorder and Tobacco Acquisition Disorder). Just like cigars you will eventually want to build up both a good selection of tobacco, but also a good inventory of your favorites to put away for aging.

But P.A.D. is where the cost really hit me hard. Tobacco is relatively inexpensive. Pipes, however, can be EXTREMELY expensive, especially by the dozen

The bottom line is that you can give pipe smoking a whirl for a very small investment and if you like it you can let it grow as much or as little as you want and can afford. It is a great hobby and you will meet great people in the pipe smoking community (just as you will in the cigar smoking community).

I hope that you at least give it a try and report back on your experience.

Thanks for your input Robbie!! Would you or your shop be willing to put together any kind of Starter Kit for anyone interested?

Puffer Fish with some spikes adamsdb's Avatar

Wow, thanks for all the great information. I have my latest CBid shipment coming in this week so my budget is nil at the moment. I will have to wait a few weeks to get started.

What would be a good tobacco to start with? I don't think I will go for the arromatic stuff right away and I don't want something that is too strong. Although, my first cigar was a Sancho Panza ISOM. Man, I was lightheaded after 2 puffs.

You guys are getting me excited to get started.

Thanks again.
    GetThePuck.com - The Puck-ifier™ & RH Beads™- Precision Humidity Control Made Simple!
    Cigarmony.com - Luxury Cigar Accessories & Apparel

Page 1 of 106 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 101 ... LastLast