Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

How to rewax a meerschaum pipe

This is a discussion on How to rewax a meerschaum pipe within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; OK, OK I confess!!! DOH!!!! I missed ultramag's clear answer to my dumb question! Well, in any case, I just ...

Re: How to rewax a meerschaum pipe

OK, OK I confess!!! DOH!!!! I missed ultramag's clear answer to my dumb question! Well, in any case, I just found a nice cake of beeswax at Joanne's fabrics and just rewaxed my meerschaum... We''l see how it works.

And Thanks, ultramag for the answer!

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

Very helpful, thanks for posting this.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Just thought I'd add for future reference. I found a great place to get beeswax at very cheap prices. I typed in local honey into google and found a couple of local a apiaries. I contacted one and got a big block of pure beeswax for $1.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Thanks, that is a great idea. Did you go to the apiary, which I guess is a beefarm - or did they ship to you. I think there might be such a place somewhere around where I am. Thanks for the tip.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

That is a great idea! You can also get honey to make MEAD!
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

Yes, I did got to the apiary, which is a bee farm. It turned out it was only about 15 minutes from my house. Needless to say they had lots of cool stuff including honey, candles and beeswax. They also had combs and queens for those wanting to start their own bee farm, but I think this is more unusual.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

CWL

I've been waxing eBay estate Meers the lazy way. This works best on smooth and uncarved Meers.

I take a block of beeswax and rub it directly onto the outside of the Meer like you would coat something entirely with a crayon.

I then load & smoke the Meer by only holding onto the stem. As you smoke slowly, you will notice the wax melting and then get drawn into the Meer material as it heats up. Once finished, I let it cool completely down before polishing it with a cotton rag.

I'm not advocating anyone trying this, but it seems to work OK for me on my cheap ($9-40) estate Meers. I don't plan on doing this with my Forum 2010 pipe

About 10:30 pm. Sitting outside in my backyard, no lights. Smoking my (freshly waxed) meerschaum under the yellow light of the almost full moon. Completely clear sky, no clouds, no breeze. Orion is glorious! Chasing after the Pleiades, never able to catch those seven sisters. The smoke from my pipe slowly rises towards the stars, glowing in the moonlight and maybe from whatever light might be here from those distant suns.

Quote Originally Posted by pdmus View Post
    About 10:30 pm. Sitting outside in my backyard, no lights. Smoking my (freshly waxed) meerschaum under the yellow light of the almost full moon. Completely clear sky, no clouds, no breeze. Orion is glorious! Chasing after the Pleiades, never able to catch those seven sisters. The smoke from my pipe slowly rises towards the stars, glowing in the moonlight and maybe from whatever light might be here from those distant suns.
    Simply poetic! Sounds like pure pipe smoking bliss!

Pipe smoking is romantic! I started (in 1965) in high school. North Hollywood High. I had a friend who had a sailboat. On Wednesday, we would leave the valley, head out to Marina del Rey, sail the boat in the almost windless night and smoke our pipes. I think pipe smoking reminds me or us about those moments. I remember smoking my pipe in Bali, 1979, listening to the Gamelan late into the night. I like to think of the Indians, letting the smoke go up with wishes, hopes, dreams to the spirits!

Newbie in the ocean

You can also keep a chunk of beeswax handy while you are smoking, rubbing on the warm bowl as you go.

Professional Relaxologist Mr. Moustache's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackop555 View Post
    I recieved a very helpful email from Mrs. Beth Sermet of SMS Pipes regarding how to wax a meerschaum pipe.

Prepararation: 100% beeswax cakes -- confectionery quality
    Old towel or cloth -- to prevent hot wax from
    dripping or spattering onto other surfaces
    Hair dryer -- mutiple temparature and fan settings
    Cotton swabs -- for brushing the melted beeswax
    Polishing cloth -- soft white terry cloth towel or
    white flannel

STEP 1: Use a hair dryer set to hot temperature setting, but low air speed.
    Heat the beeswax cake to consistancy of lip balm.
    Hold the pipe by the stem. Smear onto the bowl directly from the beeswax
    cake like lipstick. Do not touch the bowl with your fingers during any of
    the steps..

STEP 2: Continue to heat the a section of the surface of the bowl until the
    wax becomes liquid. Use the cotton swab like a brush to paint the area with
    a coating of wax. Push molten wax into crevices and hard to access areas.
    The swab may unravel as it absorbs excess wax. Coat the entire bowl surface
    evenly. CAUTION: Try to prevent wax from drippng into the tobacco hole since
    it will leave a bitter taste.

STEP 3: Heat the bowl again to allow complete absorption of the wax. Set
    the pipe down on the towl to cool.

STEP 4: After the bowl cools to room temperature. Buff the surface to a
    high gloss using a towel first then the flannel cloth for the final buffing.
    If the surface is tacky, too much wax is on the surface. Heat this area
    again and remove excess wax with a cotton swab and buff again.

STEP 5: Repeat when the surface becomes soiled or dull. Excessive waxing
    may cause too much wax accumulation (tacky surface and dripping).
    How extremely pertinent i just bought my first Meerschaum yesterday and have been doing alot of research on care for them. What are your cleaning practices?

Professional Relaxologist Mr. Moustache's Avatar

Where is a good place to find quality beeswax? farmers markets?

I have no idea whether what I got is "quality" beeswax, but it is working on my meerschaum. It melts smoothly and covers the pipe nicely, it makes a good shine and the pipe is colouring nicely. . It is from Joanne's Fabrics, it is a small cake of beeswax in a round about 1 1/4" and 1/2 ' thick, in a very handy plastic holder. The holder is in 2 halves, so you can take one of the halves off and easily wax the pipe without touching the beeswax. The use in the "fabric world" is to wax the end of thread to make it easy to go thru a needle. It melts very nicely, either by heating up the pipe when smoking or rubbing on while the pipe is cold and heating with a hair dryer. It is inexpensive and works great. I tried to post a link, but you have to have 30 posts on puff forums to post a link, so if you go to Joannes's Fabrics and type in beeswax, it will show up.

Enjoy!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

What i do is this:

I melt the wax via microwave or stove
    heat the pipe slowly via stove (on the lowest setting and high enough so it gradually heats up) or dryer
    brush melted wax on the meer
    let meer soak up wax
    repeat 2~3 times

has worked like a charm for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2