Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

This is a discussion on How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Nick S. Yeah, it looks really good. I think the silver mount really completes the look. Did ...

Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    Yeah, it looks really good. I think the silver mount really completes the look. Did you wax it?
    Yes, two coats of Carnuba, followed by a coat of some Halcyon Pipe Wax I bought on e-bay. I have no idea what the Halcyon is (probably mineral oil or something), but it really restores the shine (or adds it in this case).

I'll probably let it sit and add another coat tomorrow.

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Well holy crap. That looks awesome. Who makes this onyx stain?

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    Well holy crap. That looks awesome. Who makes this onyx stain?
    I had to go out to the garage and look. It's Minwax Color Express Wiping Stain. It came in a tube and is fairly thick stuff, much more like paint than stain.

I need to check this stuff out. I really like the way that ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    I need to check this stuff out. I really like the way that ended up.
    You probably need to let me smoke a few bowls out of this one first to make sure it doesn't bubble off or something...

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    You probably need to let me smoke a few bowls out of this one first to make sure it doesn't bubble off or something...
    Wait, you actually smoke your pipes?

Yeah, thats probably a good idea. Keep us posted!!

Full grown Puffer Fish JuanOrez's Avatar

That looks great, Dan. I bet it smokes as good as it looks!
    WOOOOO!

waiting on the results.. I've got a beater to try it on , if it doesn't bubble or anything else . Please let us know. thanks

Puffer Fish with some spikes jtree26's Avatar

No, I found an "Onyx" wood stain at Lowe's and went with that. It obviously covered most of the grain, but I think it looks great.
    Looks awesome, nice job. I just need to decide which pipe to try it on...

Heres were my issue is.

Winning the dang bids!

In getting into pipe and lighter restoration. Im gettig goid deals on lighters, gotton a few colibri and others for $5 a pice or less.

But cant seem to win any pipe auctions. They keep going about what i feel is a reasonable offer.

For example, ine was 8 pipes i think. No big names. Either unmarked, or yello-bole. Or dr grabbow.

Sold for $50+ before shipping!

Am i underestimating value here?

And im hoping to get a peterson p-lip or a charatan along the way, ub a lot. But they jusy make the bid impossible. Lol.

Also, im not a big fan of straight pipes. It seems that theres 1 bent to every 10 straight. Argh!

Any advise from anyone on this?

Quote Originally Posted by gibson_es View Post
    Heres were my issue is.

Winning the dang bids!

In getting into pipe and lighter restoration. Im gettig goid deals on lighters, gotton a few colibri and others for $5 a pice or less.

But cant seem to win any pipe auctions. They keep going about what i feel is a reasonable offer.

For example, ine was 8 pipes i think. No big names. Either unmarked, or yello-bole. Or dr grabbow.

Sold for $50+ before shipping!

Am i underestimating value here?

And im hoping to get a peterson p-lip or a charatan along the way, ub a lot. But they jusy make the bid impossible. Lol.

Also, im not a big fan of straight pipes. It seems that theres 1 bent to every 10 straight. Argh!

Any advise from anyone on this?
    I'd say, just keep trying. I won this killarney p-lip almost brand new with box for $23 before shipping.

Just gotta bid on a lot of stuff. Eventually you'll get a deal!

Quote Originally Posted by JD11 View Post
    waiting on the results.. I've got a beater to try it on , if it doesn't bubble or anything else . Please let us know. thanks
    I'm smoking it now. Half way through the bowl and it's smoking like a champ! No issues whatsoever. I even overfilled and had some ashes come near the top from expansion during the initial light, and there's no sign of charring on the lip. This is my new favorite pipe...

Breaking it in with some H&H Louisiana Red!

Looks great.. and I'm glad it smokes great. I'm gonna give that Minwax a shot this weekend on an old beat up Medico . Lets hope the finish holds up. Did you Buff before you waxed it ? the only difference is that Ill be trying Paragon wax on mine..

I have a billiard with some VERY obvious fills. It smokes okay, I might do this just for the sake of looks. Then I have a sharp dress billiard for those special occasions!

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Wow - whatever you paid that sure was worth it.

Truly a nice looking pipe, though I thought from the 'before' shots that rim had been burned clear through.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast