Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

This is a discussion on How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by jco3rd This much: Robert thank you for the suggestion. What do you think about doing that, and ...

Wizard of the puff shire Gandalf The Gray's Avatar

Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

Quote Originally Posted by jco3rd View Post
    This much:

Robert thank you for the suggestion. What do you think about doing that, and then just wood glue to hold it together instead of brass pins or threaded rod?

I am no expert on restoration. But I would maybe just sand both the bowl and the shank flush and then try to recombine them using either wood glue or some type of epoxy.

What do you think about doing that, and then just wood glue to hold it together instead of brass pins or threaded rod?
    The bowl will get hot and the glue will fail, I think. You can try glue, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for a permanent fix. The inner tube thing would be under considerable strain if the pins were left out. A good thick-walled steel tube would do the job with just glue, I'd think. I believe that professional repairs are either dovetailed or reinforced with a band or both.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Just spent some time on a pipe today, rusticated it a little bit. The pipe itself had some dings and surface filler in it so I decided why not test out rusticating. My question is now, what would I use to seal the rusticated area? I coated the entire pipe with some olive oil, but I am not sure if that is sufficient enough of a sealer?

Before:
    Name:  $(KGrHqF,!rEFHOi!iVcMBR6oDezzP!~~60_14.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  1.3 KB

Name:  $(KGrHqN,!qcFHRqIO1CYBR6oDb8qlg~~60_14.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  1.2 KB

How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE-kgrhqv-ocfhl-tunqobr6odcm08g-60_12.jpg
    Last edited by Gandalf The Gray; 08-07-2013 at 07:39 PM.

After:

How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE-20130807_185224.jpgHow To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE-20130807_185234.jpgHow To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE-20130807_185253.jpgHow To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE-20130807_185306.jpg
    Last edited by Gandalf The Gray; 08-07-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Nice!!

What did you use to rusticate it?

Nice!!

What did you use to rusticate it?
    Hey, thanks John. I thought it turned out pretty good. I used a modified Phillips screw driver.

How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE-pic_0840.jpg

so kind of just use that as a gouge in the area you rusticated? The results are pretty awesome. How did you make the tool, looks like you drilled out the tip a bit?

so kind of just use that as a gouge in the area you rusticated? The results are pretty awesome. How did you make the tool, looks like you drilled out the tip a bit?
    I used a simple battery powered dremel to make the tool. Most dremels come with a cutting tool, I cut the tip off and then simply created an "X" pattern over the cut tip. You are right, I gouged the wood out, pushing into the wood and then twisting. The closer you twist each gouge you get the finer "rustic" look, and the farther away you get the peaks of the wood.
    I was reading up and I think I am going to give it a layer of clear Shellac, Using a soft brush to buff the shellac in and then a soft cloth to polish it up. All in all I am happy with it.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf The Gray View Post
    . . .All in all I am happy with it.
    I think we all approve - pretty pipe.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf The Gray View Post
    All in all I am happy with it.
    Wow, I can't believe I missed this. Very nice job, Matthew. It looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Wow, I can't believe I missed this. Very nice job, Matthew. It looks great!
    Thanks DanR. It turned out great, I haven't had time to put a finishing coat on it yet. But once I do I will post some pictures of the pipe complete with a bit attached. I picked up a few more cheap pipes off of ebay, One looks like it will be a great smoker and the other a no namer. So I might be trying this again...

Matt, that turned out awesome! Clever idea with the screwdriver too! Oooooohhhh I can feel the creative juices beginning to flow now! Soon as I get my house unpacked....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    Matt, that turned out awesome! Clever idea with the screwdriver too! Oooooohhhh I can feel the creative juices beginning to flow now! Soon as I get my house unpacked....
    Lol, Thanks Chris. It wasn't my idea but One that has worked like a charm . I see that creative glimmer in you're pipe bowl! It's only a matter of time now before you come up with something . I think the next one I do I am going to rusticate the entire pipe, even the rim.....

Newbie in the ocean

Longtime lurker here, and first off I have to say thank you for everyone's input and suggestions.

So here's my question, and it may be slightly out of place since this will be directed towards a brand new pipe. I bought a new pipe from Etsy, only because the pipe was purdy. I could tell the guy isn't an expert, but just a hobbiest. The pipe itself is fine, if not slightly obvious that it was made by hand (kinds like that though). The problem is the bowl was drilled awkwardly. There was almost a ridge halfway down. I have sanded it down to the best of my ability to get it as flush as I can. Now that the hard part is out of the way... What grit should I use to finish the bowl? I don't think I have ever purchased an unfinished bowl. Do you want the inside of the bowl to have some roughness to allow for the cake to form, or should it be super smooth?

Quote Originally Posted by scotchguy View Post
    Longtime lurker here, and first off I have to say thank you for everyone's input and suggestions.

So here's my question, and it may be slightly out of place since this will be directed towards a brand new pipe. I bought a new pipe from Etsy, only because the pipe was purdy. I could tell the guy isn't an expert, but just a hobbiest. The pipe itself is fine, if not slightly obvious that it was made by hand (kinds like that though). The problem is the bowl was drilled awkwardly. There was almost a ridge halfway down. I have sanded it down to the best of my ability to get it as flush as I can. Now that the hard part is out of the way... What grit should I use to finish the bowl? I don't think I have ever purchased an unfinished bowl. Do you want the inside of the bowl to have some roughness to allow for the cake to form, or should it be super smooth?
    It doesn't matter much. The cake will form over pretty much any surface and form a new surface of its own. Dips and bumps will even out so long as they are not too bad. Sounds like you've done what's needed. If it's vaguely cylindrical (or tapered towards the bottom) without steps - job done. Get smoking.

I take it from your description that this is a "carve it yourself" pipe that wasn't quite finished. Post a picture when you've collected enough posts.

Oh yes, WELCOME.

Pop over to this thread and give us a proper introduction...

http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/new-piper-fish-forum/
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast