Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast

How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

This is a discussion on How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by steinr1 It doesn't matter much. The cake will form over pretty much any surface and form a ...

Newbie in the ocean

Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    It doesn't matter much. The cake will form over pretty much any surface and form a new surface of its own. Dips and bumps will even out so long as they are not too bad. Sounds like you've done what's needed. If it's vaguely cylindrical (or tapered towards the bottom) without steps - job done. Get smoking.

I take it from your description that this is a "carve it yourself" pipe that wasn't quite finished. Post a picture when you've collected enough posts.

Oh yes, WELCOME.

Pop over to this thread and give us a proper introduction...
    Thanks for the insight. This one actually wasn't a "Carve your own", as that one is lost in the mail somewhere! This one is just a beginner pipe maker who has some technique to make the grain really pop. I couldn't resist buying it, but he does need a bit of more experience from the looks. I will probably pick up a few more of his down the road, since I don't mind tinkering. I just wasn't sure of the grit I should end with.

I started with 350 grit but needed to go lower to even things out. I moved up in increments until I hit 620 grit but will probably stop there. My worry was that the bowl is too smooth at that grit. It still needs some evening out, but my focus now is mostly on the transition from the bowl to the rim. The rim wasn't quite even. I am not trying to detract from his original piece, but give it some finishing touches that I felt was missing. Since the uneven bowl would most likely interfere with the smoking experience, I don't feel like my alterations are misplaced.

I will upload a picture when I am all done. It's been fun sofar.

Newbie in the ocean

Update

I found out that automobile grade sticky back sand paper works the best to even out the bowl. Only question, what's the best way to get all that briar dust out? Slightly damp paper towel?

Quote Originally Posted by scotchguy View Post
    Update

I found out that automobile grade sticky back sand paper works the best to even out the bowl. Only question, what's the best way to get all that briar dust out? Slightly damp paper towel?
    Sounds good to me. Again, it doesn't really matter. The dust will burn away in the first smoke; your unlikely to taste it unless there is a lot of it. I'd be tempted to blow through it and maybe rub my finger over it and leave it at that.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Is a 1/2" cone shaped bur tool acceptable to strip a bowl down to fresh wood. I have these tools and if not I can make a bit from a spade drill bit.
    A little help is better than a lot of pity -Celtic Proverb
    Tweet me @mad_bricky FB http://www.facebook.com/mad.bricky

Quote Originally Posted by jfsully View Post
    To first clean the stems, I've used oxclean and it seems to do a great job and doesn't "eat into" the stem like bleach does.

recently I added lemon juice (not sure why). The acidic nature seemed to boost the oxyclean performance.

Any thoughts?
    Oxyclean is very potent and leaves my vulcanite vintage stems nearly white.
    A little help is better than a lot of pity -Celtic Proverb
    Tweet me @mad_bricky FB http://www.facebook.com/mad.bricky

I've read through this entire thread, and I have to say I'm grateful for all the great techniques and advice I've read here. Gives me a lot of courage to try my own hand at restoring estate pipes.

I've been looking on ebay at bench buffers, and I see that many have one speed: ON (ie. 3540 rpm). There are inexpensive ones aimed at jewelry hobbyists that go as low as 2000 rpm, and I've seen some experienced restorers mention buffing as low as 1800rpm.

Is 3540 rpm with a 6" buffing wheel okay to use, or should I go for the jewelers' buffers that accept 3" or 6" wheels and thus take a gentler approach?

I've seen advice about using a hand drill in a vise to do this, but my one good variable speed drill stopped working recently, and all I've got left is a one-speed drill and a big high-torque that might be too powerful.

The machine buffing is something that I probably won't get to for a while, and I've ordered micro-mesh pads for use in my first project, but I am thinking of getting a proper setup later on if I decide this is something I want to commit to as a hobby.
    Last edited by cpmcdill; 01-10-2014 at 11:39 PM.

Thanks for all the great information Kyle! How does one make a loose stem fit better?

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by haebar View Post
    Thanks for all the great information Kyle! How does one make a loose stem fit better?
    One of the easiest ways is to apply flame to a block of bees wax, and then rub it on the stem where it fits inside the stummel.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Nature's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scotchguy View Post
    Update

What about compressed air? Either from a can or an air compressor with a tip.
    Blowing it out should work.
    May your burn line always be straight and the ash never fall in your lap.

Quote Originally Posted by Nature View Post
    What about compressed air? Either from a can or an air compressor with a tip.
    Blowing it out should work.
    For the stem, probably best to use pipe cleaners with some high-proof alcohol or pipe sweetener. Compressed air cans blow a jet of super-cooled air which could make the vulcanite temporarily very brittle, and any local contractions from the temperature change may cause cracks. Taking off the stem and blowing it into the stummel in short bursts may be okay, but probably not necessary, as pipe cleaners should take care of the dust. I've sanded out a lot of bowls, and after a little swabbing out, never found briar dust to be a problem.
    "Quite simply, my dear, tobacco is the greatest pleasure that we have ever discovered... I know of no other miracle like it in nature." -- Bela Lugosi, 1939

Beside the beeswax solution mentioned before, there are two other ways to fix a loose stem.

One technique used by professional restorers involves softening the tenon (typically by dipping in very hot water) then using the smooth end of a drill bit or a specialize awl, just a touch larger than the draft hole, and pushing it in, stretching the tenon wider. It's very important you don't over-soften the vulcanite or it will bunch up messily when you push the tool in. If the tenon ends up being slightly too large for the mortise, you can then carefully sand it down until it fits snugly. If you use a stinger or filter this may not work.

The second method is one I'd use for acrylic stems, such as on cob pipes. It can be used as a quick-fix for vulcanite but I wouldn't use it on a pipe you may some day consider reselling. The technique is to paint the tenon with clear acrylic-based nail hardener (such as found in the cosmetic section of a drug store), in successive layers until you get a snug fit again. Let each layer cure for a couple days, so it's very hard, and no longer out-gassing any volatile chemicals. I have done this to many loose-stemmed cobs, with no problems. The coating does not melt or make the stem glued on, so it's still easy to remove for cleaning.
    "Quite simply, my dear, tobacco is the greatest pleasure that we have ever discovered... I know of no other miracle like it in nature." -- Bela Lugosi, 1939

Christopher, Thanks for your help!

When an estate pipe has a film layer of years of buildup of smoke, dust, etc., how does you clean this off before polishing the finish safely? Or do you just polish it and do it all in one step?

When an estate pipe has a film layer of years of buildup of smoke, dust, etc., how does you clean this off before polishing the finish safely? Or do you just polish it and do it all in one step?
    Smoke and dust are dry particulate matter that should easily buff off with a microfiber or flannel cloth. If the film is of a more sticky nature that has hardened onto the outside of the bowl, first try rubbing at it with a damp cloth. If it's the tarry substance akin to the cake that forms on the inside of the bowl it should come off. On the rim of the bowl it is common to use spit to rub that stuff away.

If the film layer is really stubborn and unsightly, it might be a layer of shellac or varnish that was part of the original finish, which has gone bad over the years of heat and finger oils. I've dealt with a lot of pipes like that, and in such a case I'll choose to just refinish the pipe. Sand the entire stummel down to remove all the finish and stain (I think there may be info on sanding somewhere back on this thread), then decide whether to leave the pipe "natural" or add a new stain or other finish.

Thanks Christopher!

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 LastLast