Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 408

How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

This is a discussion on How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; To first clean the stems, I've used oxclean and it seems to do a great job and doesn't "eat into" ...

  
  1. #46

    Newbie in the ocean


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    To first clean the stems, I've used oxclean and it seems to do a great job and doesn't "eat into" the stem like bleach does.

    recently I added lemon juice (not sure why). The acidic nature seemed to boost the oxyclean performance.

    Any thoughts?

  2. #47

    Deviant Gentleman The Mad Professor's Avatar


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    Rez'ing your thread, Kyle. I know its not about briars, but...

    I bought a couple of Falcons on eBay for cheap to play with and make shiny.

    Both bowls look like they could use a little reaming and some cleaning, but not in bad shape. The metal on one is yellowed, the other is just dull.

    I was planning on doing a cottonball/Everclear treatment on them, then separating the bowls to clean further, using pipe cleaners and Everclear down the stem, and then polishing/buffing the outside of the metal stem. Toothpaste and then carnuba on the mouthpieces, and a buff on the outside of the bowls too.

    Oh yes, I know the mouthpieces do not come off, and I will reattach the bowls carefully so not to cross the threads.

    Having no experience with Falcons or any other metal pipes, I thought I'd ask here first, and make sure that all this checks out for Falcons. I did some searches, but I didn't find too much info on restoring them, more about maintaining them.

    My two lingering questions are:
    1. I read on one thread here about using a metal safe cleaner, chemprol. Does this mean a cottonball/Everclear treatment is not metal safe?

    2. Is there something special I should use to buff/clean the outside of metal stem?

    And anything else I don't know?

  3. #48

    Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Professor View Post
    Rez'ing your thread, Kyle. I know its not about briars, but...

    I bought a couple of Falcons on eBay for cheap to play with and make shiny.

    Both bowls look like they could use a little reaming and some cleaning, but not in bad shape. The metal on one is yellowed, the other is just dull.

    I was planning on doing a cottonball/Everclear treatment on them, then separating the bowls to clean further, using pipe cleaners and Everclear down the stem, and then polishing/buffing the outside of the metal stem. Toothpaste and then carnuba on the mouthpieces, and a buff on the outside of the bowls too.

    Oh yes, I know the mouthpieces do not come off, and I will reattach the bowls carefully so not to cross the threads.

    Having no experience with Falcons or any other metal pipes, I thought I'd ask here first, and make sure that all this checks out for Falcons. I did some searches, but I didn't find too much info on restoring them, more about maintaining them.

    My two lingering questions are:
    1. I read on one thread here about using a metal safe cleaner, chemprol. Does this mean a cottonball/Everclear treatment is not metal safe?

    2. Is there something special I should use to buff/clean the outside of metal stem?

    And anything else I don't know?

    Ahh falcons are too cool! Nice find!

    To answer your questions, if its one of the falcons you can detach the bowl, I would recommend trying the everclear on the detached briar bowl. I think everclear on metal is fine. For an added help, mix a dot of brasso with your toothpaste. Its a little more abrasive and will cut some time off the process. A couple rounds of just toothpaste after that will give you a beautiful shine. This is the process I use on all of my silver/metal parts on my pipes.

    Some examples:


    A grungy grabow I received as a gift (Thanks Jeff!!). The band isn't silver. It took a few once-overs with toothpaste and brasso but she's shinin' now!


    Here's the opposite side of the spectrum. A nicer pipe with a sterling silver band. Can't tell because it's much smaller but it gleams like its brand new.

  4. #49

    Puffer Fish with some spikes jfdiii's Avatar


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    On my falcon stem I soaked it in alcohol then used a dremel (since it's metal) and some jewelers polish. It gave it a mirror shine and looks brand new.

  5. #50

    Young Fish Piper1's Avatar


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    Kyle, with all your restoration knowledge, I was wondering if you could take a look at the thread "EPS. Need help identifying a pipe." in the new puffer forum and give any insight?

  6. #51

    Deviant Gentleman The Mad Professor's Avatar


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    Thank you very much Kyle and Joe. Just the answers I was looking for!

    I have to hold off on the urge to start cleaning them now, since I'm headed to the racetrack tomorrow for the weekend. I'll start cleaning them Monday or Tues and I'll post some pictures too.

    I also have some other pipe cleaning projects going on:
    I have a calabash that I am cleaning that had some mold "issues" inside of it, a second calabash on the way that will need some love, and a third calabash that is broken that I will try my hand at repairing. I also have at least one briar to restore, and the rest of my briars could use a stem cleaning too. So I got my work cut out for me!

  7. #52

    Young Fish


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    Thank you for sharing your experience about restore estate pipes. I am working on some of the estate pipes I got a while back. It took me so long to just work on a small part of each pipe cause I was so afraid that I would destroy a such wonderful pipe. However, more the information I read, I feel more confident. Thank you!!!

  8. #53

    Maturing Puffer Fish JD11's Avatar


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    Just got a 1 oz jar of paragon wax today , besides use only on smooth pipes . apply , let haze and then buff with soft cloth . any tips or tricks ? i heard its good for vulcanite stems too . any experience with that ?

  9. #54

    Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    Great stuff here...as I am expecting a few pipes from another BOTL...as a trade...to restore! I see some great tips here!

    Speaking of tips...thats the one area I want to focus on the most...as the pipes coming will need some major buffing done. Also, one of the pipes has a very discolored stem...any suggestions here (point me to a post #) or thoughts on getting the stems/tips back to their glory?
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

  10. #55

    Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    Quote Originally Posted by pyxistort View Post
    Thank you for sharing your experience about restore estate pipes. I am working on some of the estate pipes I got a while back. It took me so long to just work on a small part of each pipe cause I was so afraid that I would destroy a such wonderful pipe. However, more the information I read, I feel more confident. Thank you!!!
    Absolutely!! The hardest part is doing the first pipe. The thing is, briar is hard. Smoking, restoring, cleaning, breaking in... it all takes obscene amounts of time. Remember that one thing. It's gunna take forever. Don't rush. It might take 100 coats of toothpaste to shine your stem up, let it! If you need to sand finish off, it will take a lot of time and sandpaper. Take your time and go slow and steady. You'll be much happier with the end result.

    Quote Originally Posted by JD11 View Post
    Just got a 1 oz jar of paragon wax today , besides use only on smooth pipes . apply , let haze and then buff with soft cloth . any tips or tricks ? i heard its good for vulcanite stems too . any experience with that ?
    I'm a huge proponent of using different things on the stummel. I LOVE oil finishing a natural colored pipe. But as for the stem, I would still recommend a final coat of carnauba. It seems to leave a much glassier and stronger finish.

    Quote Originally Posted by quo155 View Post
    Great stuff here...as I am expecting a few pipes from another BOTL...as a trade...to restore! I see some great tips here!

    Speaking of tips...thats the one area I want to focus on the most...as the pipes coming will need some major buffing done. Also, one of the pipes has a very discolored stem...any suggestions here (point me to a post #) or thoughts on getting the stems/tips back to their glory?
    I've heard a Mr Clean magic eraser works pretty well in a pinch. Otherwise, bar keepers friend. Bleach baths are an option but the sanding and buffing required after you soak them is a pain. I use that as a last resort option. Also, toothpaste buffing. I don't know if I've said anything specific about that yet but I love it. It gives the stem the most amazing shine and finish and carnauba on top of that makes them look like a mirror. Put a little paste (not gel or anything fancy, just normal old fashioned white paste) on a rag and buff it onto the stem. Repeat as many times as desired. No water needed. The ultra fine abrasive in toothpaste will make it almost impossible to tell the difference from lucite if you do it well enough.



    And to any of you guys looking do start restoring these things, one tip to get a really nice final product:

    I always give extra attention to making sure everything is super smooth. Fills can be hidden, stems can be bleached, char can be removed. But if the final product isn't satin to the touch, you'll still be able to tell the difference between your pipe and a professionally produced one. Grab the highest grit paper you can find and ultra fine steel wool. Until I can close my eyes and find myself unable to feel the difference between a waxed pipe and the unfinished one I'm working on, I'm not done sanding. You won't regret the extra time this takes.

  11. #56

    Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    I've heard a Mr Clean magic eraser works pretty well in a pinch. Otherwise, bar keepers friend. Bleach baths are an option but the sanding and buffing required after you soak them is a pain. I use that as a last resort option. Also, toothpaste buffing. I don't know if I've said anything specific about that yet but I love it. It gives the stem the most amazing shine and finish and carnauba on top of that makes them look like a mirror. Put a little paste (not gel or anything fancy, just normal old fashioned white paste) on a rag and buff it onto the stem. Repeat as many times as desired. No water needed. The ultra fine abrasive in toothpaste will make it almost impossible to tell the difference from lucite if you do it well enough.



    And to any of you guys looking do start restoring these things, one tip to get a really nice final product:

    I always give extra attention to making sure everything is super smooth. Fills can be hidden, stems can be bleached, char can be removed. But if the final product isn't satin to the touch, you'll still be able to tell the difference between your pipe and a professionally produced one. Grab the highest grit paper you can find and ultra fine steel wool. Until I can close my eyes and find myself unable to feel the difference between a waxed pipe and the unfinished one I'm working on, I'm not done sanding. You won't regret the extra time this takes.
    Awesome...thank you Kyle! When I get these in...I will see what type of stem it has, do some more digging (on Puff) and get to work to restore them for my own use...and smooth as a baby behind!
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

  12. #57

    Young Fish


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    I read something a while back about homemade carnauba polishing paste. It's required some kind of double boiling to mix carnauba wax with other ingredients. It sounds easier than using buffing wheel. Have you tried something similiar? Thank you!

  13. #58

    Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    Quote Originally Posted by pyxistort View Post
    I read something a while back about homemade carnauba polishing paste. It's required some kind of double boiling to mix carnauba wax with other ingredients. It sounds easier than using buffing wheel. Have you tried something similiar? Thank you!
    Double boiling wax? It might be cheaper but it doesn't sound easier at all. All you have to do to is take a block of carnauba, put it against the buffer wheel, then put the pipe on the wheel. Cooking up a paste to use seems a little more mad sciencey than I would be inclined to try. If you do run across that recipe though, post it on here. Or try it out! Tell us how it works. Maybe I'm wrong and it'll end up being way better!

  14. #59

    Young Fish


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    Double boiling wax? It might be cheaper but it doesn't sound easier at all. All you have to do to is take a block of carnauba, put it against the buffer wheel, then put the pipe on the wheel. Cooking up a paste to use seems a little more mad sciencey than I would be inclined to try. If you do run across that recipe though, post it on here. Or try it out! Tell us how it works. Maybe I'm wrong and it'll end up being way better!
    I don't have buffing wheel, so it will be easier for me polish the pipe with the paste, just like hand polishing a car.
    Actually, after I observed my wife double boiling chocolate and cheese, it is not difficult. Let me see if I can find the recipe.

  15. #60

    Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar


     

    Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

    Quote Originally Posted by quo155 View Post
    Awesome...thank you Kyle! When I get these in...I will see what type of stem it has, do some more digging (on Puff) and get to work to restore them for my own use...and smooth as a baby behind!
    Post some pictures on here too! I'd love to see what you're working with!

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •