Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

This is a discussion on How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by pyxistort I don't have buffing wheel, so it will be easier for me polish the pipe with ...

Deviant Gentleman The Mad Professor's Avatar

Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

Quote Originally Posted by pyxistort View Post
    I don't have buffing wheel, so it will be easier for me polish the pipe with the paste, just like hand polishing a car.
    Actually, after I observed my wife double boiling chocolate and cheese, it is not difficult. Let me see if I can find the recipe.
    Double boiling isn't difficult, it's the cleanup of the crap that gets double boiled that is the PITA!

I don't have access to a true buffing wheel either, so I took another BOTL's advice and bought a small cylindrical buffing wheel (2" dia, 3" long, $3 at Harbor-Freight) that I can chuck into my cordless drill. Put a zip tie on the trigger and either clamp it down or hold between your knees, and you have a great little pipe buffer.

Scraping dried wax off your wife's double boiler doesn't sound healthy to one's marriage, so I would get another double boiler if you try this method.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    Post some pictures on here too! I'd love to see what you're working with!
    I will for sure...it may be a while before I get to start on them...have to get my shop in order since I just moved...but looking forward to it!
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Bought a pipe right out of a display the other day. An Erik Nording. Walked home grinning thinking "Ahh. Finally a pipe I'll never have to take a tool to. Brand spanking new." Until I realized a few hours later the stem was crooked by less than a millimeter. After a little ultrafine sandpaper, it's finally 100% perfect!

A little bump for anyone thinking about a pipe restoration. Question and I shall answer! Albeit tothe best of my ability. Smoked my first bowl of LBF from a pipe I re-stained tonight. Mmmm! Cool, dry, and beautifully delicious smelling.

A little for anyone looking for restoration help!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Ive noticed that when i ream the cake down to the wood + salt alchol + alchol burn the bowl that the smoke tastes woody. Will it go away after i start building a cake back up?

Quote Originally Posted by pipinho View Post
    Ive noticed that when i ream the cake down to the wood + salt alchol + alchol burn the bowl that the smoke tastes woody. Will it go away after i start building a cake back up?
    Absolutely it will. Basically, the first couple layers of cake cauterize the wood. After you get enough cake to fully cover your bowl interior, you won't taste that woody flavor anymore.

Leading Puffer Fish

This isn’t really a restoration question, but more of a maintenance question… but I think this would be a good place to ask it. How and what should I use to keep my pipes shiny? I have some that have dulled over time and I would like to bring them back to their original shine… any ideas or suggestions?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Absolutely it will. Basically, the first couple layers of cake cauterize the wood. After you get enough cake to fully cover your bowl interior, you won't taste that woody flavor anymore.
    do you think that it's a good idea to cake to the wood/salt+alcohol/alcohol burn or should i keep the cake? I did all that because the pipes clearly haven't been cleaned in ages and had so much nasty cake in them. And what do you use to clean the outside of pipes? I know that murpheys soap is used but do you use a brush, washcloth, ect?
    Last edited by pipinho; 09-06-2011 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    This isn’t really a restoration question, but more of a maintenance question… but I think this would be a good place to ask it. How and what should I use to keep my pipes shiny? I have some that have dulled over time and I would like to bring them back to their original shine… any ideas or suggestions?
    The three things I really like to use are mineral oil, white petroleum jelly, and carnauba wax. All for different situations.

• Older estate pipe you're restoring? Give it a buff down with carnauba wax.
    • Been smoking it a lot lately and it needs a little shine? Grab a rag and buff some petroleum jelly (vaseline) on.
    • Got a good layer of carnauba but needs a "pop" of shine for a picture or have a display pipe you want to stay looking good up on a shelf? A rag with mineral oil will make it display worthy.
    Carnauba wax should be your base layer. Vaseline doesn't last long but it prevents oxidation on vulcanite stems of pipes you're currently smoking and makes your carnauba waxings less frequent on the stummel. Makes the finish last longer essentially. Mineral oil waterproofs the outside and makes it look shiny as polyurethane. But it comes off easily when handled. It (or real tung oil) can also be used in place of carnauba to give the pipe a "matte" or oil finish.

So thats a quick outline of what I use as finish in some different situations!

Quote Originally Posted by pipinho View Post
    do you think that it's a good idea to cake to the wood/salt+alcohol/alcohol burn or should i keep the cake? I did all that because the pipes clearly haven't been cleaned in ages and had so much nasty cake in them. And what do you use to clean the outside of pipes? I know that murpheys soap is used but do you use a brush, washcloth, ect?
    There are definitely some pipes I ream down to bare wood and re-cake. But in a lot of cases, leaving just a little bit of cake and then building cake over that will give you the same quality as any other reaming method. Take it down slightly less than a dimes width then build it back to dime thickness in the future. After that, go through a break in process. Either

A) Smoke bowls all the way from top to heel
    or
    B) Smoke 1/3 bowls to develop cake in heel then smoke full bowls

This will cover up that old weird cake while still protecting the briar from the burning tobacco.

If I'm actually cleaning something off of my pipe, I use breath (like you do when you clean [sun]glasses) and an electronics cloth. Those microfiber ones for your touch screens and stuff. Soap will put chemical stress on the carnauba finish of the pipe and lots of water or wiping with towels will put mechanical stress on it. Something gentle is what you want. Briar is naturally inclined to oils though. The oils in your hands and body are caustic and will eat away at the carnauba finish (hence the need to clean) but something like mineral oil will not. So after I smoke, I grab an old sock and some mineral oil and give it a quick rub down.

Look for mineral oil in your supermarket pharmacy section, over the counter. It is used as a laxative as well.

Leading Puffer Fish

The three things I really like to use are mineral oil, white petroleum jelly, and carnauba wax. All for different situations.

• Older estate pipe you're restoring? Give it a buff down with carnauba wax.
    • Been smoking it a lot lately and it needs a little shine? Grab a rag and buff some petroleum jelly (vaseline) on.
    • Got a good layer of carnauba but needs a "pop" of shine for a picture or have a display pipe you want to stay looking good up on a shelf? A rag with mineral oil will make it display worthy.
    Carnauba wax should be your base layer. Vaseline doesn't last long but it prevents oxidation on vulcanite stems of pipes you're currently smoking and makes your carnauba waxings less frequent on the stummel. Makes the finish last longer essentially. Mineral oil waterproofs the outside and makes it look shiny as polyurethane. But it comes off easily when handled. It (or real tung oil) can also be used in place of carnauba to give the pipe a "matte" or oil finish.

So thats a quick outline of what I use as finish in some different situations!
    Hmm ok, so it sounds like the 2 options I would go for are the white petroleum jelly and carnauba wax. So for the Vaseline I assume the actual Vaseline brand that I can get at Walmart is fine, right? Also I assume I dont want to use car carnauba wax, so what do you recomend, and where can I get it?

Leading Puffer Fish

Hmm ok, so it sounds like the 2 options I would go for are the white petroleum jelly and carnauba wax. So for the Vaseline I assume the actual Vaseline brand that I can get at Walmart is fine, right? Also I assume I dont want to use car carnauba wax, so what do you recomend, and where can I get it?
    Also, do you recommend using carnauba wax for rusticated and sandblasted pipes as well? I have noticed different products sold for smooth vs non smooth finishes.

Also, do you recommend using carnauba was for rusticated and sandblasted pipes as well? I have noticed different products sold for smooth vs non smooth finishes.
    I like Pimo pipe craft for carnauba wax blocks, here. Yes, most rusticated pipes are waxed as well but you have to buff them down again afterwards really well, to get the excess wax off since it gets in all the nooks and crannies.

Leading Puffer Fish

I like Pimo pipe craft for carnauba wax blocks, here. Yes, most rusticated pipes are waxed as well but you have to buff them down again afterwards really well, to get the excess wax off since it gets in all the nooks and crannies.
    Thanks!

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast