Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

This is a discussion on How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Nick S. Thanks! Absolutely! Happy to help. Don't hesitate to come back in the future with anything ...

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    Thanks!
    Absolutely! Happy to help. Don't hesitate to come back in the future with anything else that comes to mind! I love this thread!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

i have a pipe that is "flaked" on the outside of the bowl, looks like it got scraped with a kife or something. Should i sand it down, stain it, then wax it?

Quote Originally Posted by pipinho View Post
    i have a pipe that is "flaked" on the outside of the bowl, looks like it got scraped with a kife or something. Should i sand it down, stain it, then wax it?
    Some pipes are finished with a laquer of some sort like polyurethane or shellac. After lots up heat ups and cool downs, the finish buckles and flakes like this. I would recommend stripping it down to briar and refinishing. I would probably not recommend sanding. The reason for this is, sanding turns into a costly and time intensive undertaking for a pipe. You need lots of different grit papers (many of them are pricey "specialty" grit stuff you have to order, few places carry it) and it takes two eternities to sand a pipe to the point where people won't notice it wasn't professionally done. I would recommend stripping the finish (I prefer to use acetone), restaining from there if needed/desired (make sure you use stain for pipes, not minwax or something you find in a hardware store), and then rewaxing the pipe. You'll like the end result a lot better.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

flaked was a bad word, looks like it was scraped or scratched... hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by pipinho View Post
    flaked was a bad word, looks like it was scraped or scratched... hmm...
    Ahh. Well then no such luck, my friend haha. You'll have to sand and re-stain. You'll want to start by using something around 600 grit to take the scratch out, depending on how deep (the deeper the scratch, the lower the grit # you use. I don't recomment going below 350-400 though, that will take a lot of wood off really quick.)

From there, go through the grits all the way up to around 6000-8000. I go:
    • ~600
    • ultrafine steel wool (four aught, 0000)
    • ~8000
    Be very light with the wool though, 0000 wool is technically equivalent to 600 grit paper. So pushing hard will just be going backwards. The reason I use it there is because it evens out any scratches left from the 600 and 800 grit stuff. A light buff will make the x000 grit papers more functional.

From there, grab some stain (leather dye, typically) and stain and buff the spot until it matches the rest of the pipe. Experiment. Once all of that is done, a good coat of carnauba and you're golden!

No longer a community member.

That grabow looks good to go!

Deviant Gentleman The Mad Professor's Avatar

Back again Kyle. So I finally finished up cleaning those two Falcons I've had sitting around for months now (I was also cleaning a cheap briar too). I had a re-occurance of an issue with the wood finish. I don't have pics presently, but can get around to taking them tomorrow or the next if they are necessary.

In short, I am having trouble getting a good finish back on the pipe where the Everclear has spilled over the bowl and I assume stripped the finish off. Now as I reapply carnuba wax, that "unfinished" spot will not shine up (stays dull) and is lighter in color then the rest of the briar. While the carnuba is "wet" the pipe looks normal, but after buffing it still has discoloration.

Any ideas on rectifying this problem?

Thanks Kyle!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Professor View Post
    Back again Kyle. So I finally finished up cleaning those two Falcons I've had sitting around for months now (I was also cleaning a cheap briar too). I had a re-occurance of an issue with the wood finish. I don't have pics presently, but can get around to taking them tomorrow or the next if they are necessary.

In short, I am having trouble getting a good finish back on the pipe where the Everclear has spilled over the bowl and I assume stripped the finish off. Now as I reapply carnuba wax, that "unfinished" spot will not shine up (stays dull) and is lighter in color then the rest of the briar. While the carnuba is "wet" the pipe looks normal, but after buffing it still has discoloration.

Any ideas on rectifying this problem?

Thanks Kyle!
    Unfortunately, it sounds like your best bet will be a full refinish. Sometimes ethanol will take just the wax off but because the stain is alcohol soluable, it may wick some of the color out. Give the whole stummel a good wipe down with alcohol, get the whole thing down to wood. From there, you can rewax (you'll be left with a slightly lighter colored pipe) or you can darken it with a coat of stain. Feibings is what I prefer (needs to be alcohol soluable stain, like leather stain). Once its the color you want it to be, wax away! You're golden!

Deviant Gentleman The Mad Professor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    Sometimes ethanol will take just the wax off but because the stain is alcohol soluable, it may wick some of the color out
    You are awesome! :

Thanks bro!

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Professor View Post
    You are awesome! :

Thanks bro!
    My pleasure Joe, anytime!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Post some pictures on here too! I'd love to see what you're working with!
    I still haven't got around to 'restoring" any pipes yet. I have many to restore now and a few that I just need to spend some time on to get them clean and usable...to my standards.

I have to get my shop in order, my Boars Nest built, chores done around the new place...and then I will be able to commence my desired new hobby...

Now, on "restoring", do you have any tips on restoring/cleaning the "Partially Rusticated, Freehand Nording Signature" pipe that I recently acquired from another BOTL? The pipe is in good shape, but I would like to at least (for now) clean it. In the future, I will want to actually restore it...but Erik Nording signed it (in ink, I presume) and it is unfinished wood...except for the partially rusticated areas.

Here is a pic, not the best pic...but all I have on hand:

Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by quo155 View Post
    Now, on "restoring", do you have any tips on restoring/cleaning the "Partially Rusticated, Freehand Nording Signature" pipe that I recently acquired from another BOTL? The pipe is in good shape, but I would like to at least (for now) clean it. In the future, I will want to actually restore it...but Erik Nording signed it (in ink, I presume) and it is unfinished wood...except for the partially rusticated areas.
    Hey Tommy! Still, a BEAUTIFUL pipe buddy, wish I was the one with the chore of restoring that beauty.

Now that pipe honestly looks totally unfinished. And frankly, that pipe looks better now than it ever would with a shiny carnuaba finish on it. So I say, leave her the way Nording intended.

There are a few things you can do to make this thing a real piece of artwork. First, clean it. I like to smooth out the cake, toothpaste-up the stem, etc. A wet black stem is the first hallmark of a well restored pipe. The smooth cake will let that thing smoke like a dream, too.

Next, you'll want to get to work on the stummel. Like I said, carnuaba wax is going to totally change the personality of that pipe. I recommend an oil finish. My two favorites are mineral oil and tung oil. Mineral oil will bring out the grain and leave you with a rich looking matte finish. Tung oil (use REAL raw tung oil) will leave a slightly more lusterous finish. The more coats you put on and buff off, the closer you'll get to a glassy carnuaba-like finish. So if you go with that, don't over-do it.

Have fun with that thing, I love the look of Nordings! That thing's gunna be a dime!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Hey Tommy! Still, a BEAUTIFUL pipe buddy, wish I was the one with the chore of restoring that beauty.

Now that pipe honestly looks totally unfinished. And frankly, that pipe looks better now than it ever would with a shiny carnuaba finish on it. So I say, leave her the way Nording intended.

There are a few things you can do to make this thing a real piece of artwork. First, clean it. I like to smooth out the cake, toothpaste-up the stem, etc. A wet black stem is the first hallmark of a well restored pipe. The smooth cake will let that thing smoke like a dream, too.

Next, you'll want to get to work on the stummel. Like I said, carnuaba wax is going to totally change the personality of that pipe. I recommend an oil finish. My two favorites are mineral oil and tung oil. Mineral oil will bring out the grain and leave you with a rich looking matte finish. Tung oil (use REAL raw tung oil) will leave a slightly more lusterous finish. The more coats you put on and buff off, the closer you'll get to a glassy carnuaba-like finish. So if you go with that, don't over-do it.

Have fun with that thing, I love the look of Nordings! That thing's gunna be a dime!
    Thanks Kyle! Yes, I don't intend to take ANYTHING away from how Nording intended. However, IMHO it is a bit "dirty", per say...but a lot of it is the natural darkening of the unfinished Briar...from the original owner's use. If it's best left alone, then I am game for that...just didn't know if there was any way to get it back to how it would have looked off his bench.

There is a thick cake within that I want to remove completely...as well as the stem needs re-polishing. You have addressed how to tend to these areas but I didn't know if there were any ways to pull the "color" to put back to original. Either way, it is a BEAUTIFUL pipe. I also know that even if I leave it as it, with removing the cake and refinishing the stem...it will, for me be a piece of art...yet rustic enough that I can use it as my daily (in the Boars Nest) smoker.
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by quo155 View Post
    Thanks Kyle! Yes, I don't intend to take ANYTHING away from how Nording intended. However, IMHO it is a bit "dirty", per say...but a lot of it is the natural darkening of the unfinished Briar...from the original owner's use. If it's best left alone, then I am game for that...just didn't know if there was any way to get it back to how it would have looked off his bench.

There is a thick cake within that I want to remove completely...as well as the stem needs re-polishing. You have addressed how to tend to these areas but I didn't know if there were any ways to pull the "color" to put back to original. Either way, it is a BEAUTIFUL pipe. I also know that even if I leave it as it, with removing the cake and refinishing the stem...it will, for me be a piece of art...yet rustic enough that I can use it as my daily (in the Boars Nest) smoker.
    You know, something you might want to try is a little bit of high proof ethanol (everclear) on the darkened areas. A lot of grime will be wicked out of briar with some good ole booze. That might get it back to a sort of "blank" canvas for your refinishing method of choice.

I also talked to someone else (earlier in this thread) about cake reaming. A lot of people want to ream estate pipes down to the wood when its one of the first few they've worked on. And I'd be a liar if I said I didn't still do it for special cases. The fact is, the reason you would fully ream a bowl is to remove ghosts or poorly developed cake. There is a better way to solve these problems that is much more safe (fully reaming a bowl can cause moisture to seep into cracks caused by caking the pipe. Ordinarily, cake fills these cracks and your pipe is never the worse. But when you fully ream, moisture gets in there and can cause the cracks to widem when smoking. Pretty soon "POP!" And you're down one beautiful Nording.) and I (cleverly) call it "refrosting" your cake. Scrape it slightly lower than the "dime" thickness that is recommend. Then smoke back to slightly over dime thickness. Repeat as necessary. This builds a really high quality cake right on the top of your pipe. It'll take a week or two. But I promse, Tommy, you won't regret it.

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast