Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

This is a discussion on How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; As always...great advice Kyle! I have a big bottle of Everclear at the house...just waiting to do some "dirty" work! ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

As always...great advice Kyle! I have a big bottle of Everclear at the house...just waiting to do some "dirty" work!

Hopefully, I can at least get this one to where I want it so I can begin using it...however it may be months before I even get to touch them...I will keep you posted on my experiences...

Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    You know, something you might want to try is a little bit of high proof ethanol (everclear) on the darkened areas. A lot of grime will be wicked out of briar with some good ole booze. That might get it back to a sort of "blank" canvas for your refinishing method of choice.

I also talked to someone else (earlier in this thread) about cake reaming. A lot of people want to ream estate pipes down to the wood when its one of the first few they've worked on. And I'd be a liar if I said I didn't still do it for special cases. The fact is, the reason you would fully ream a bowl is to remove ghosts or poorly developed cake. There is a better way to solve these problems that is much more safe (fully reaming a bowl can cause moisture to seep into cracks caused by caking the pipe. Ordinarily, cake fills these cracks and your pipe is never the worse. But when you fully ream, moisture gets in there and can cause the cracks to widem when smoking. Pretty soon "POP!" And you're down one beautiful Nording.) and I (cleverly) call it "refrosting" your cake. Scrape it slightly lower than the "dime" thickness that is recommend. Then smoke back to slightly over dime thickness. Repeat as necessary. This builds a really high quality cake right on the top of your pipe. It'll take a week or two. But I promse, Tommy, you won't regret it.
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by quo155 View Post
    As always...great advice Kyle! I have a big bottle of Everclear at the house...just waiting to do some "dirty" work!

Hopefully, I can at least get this one to where I want it so I can begin using it...however it may be months before I even get to touch them...I will keep you posted on my experiences...

Thanks!!!
    Sweet, sounds great, love to hear how it ends up! And of course, it's always my pleasure. I'll help any way I can!

And yeah, I bet that big bottle of everclear was for dirty work.
    Tommy -->

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes quo155's Avatar

Sweet, sounds great, love to hear how it ends up! And of course, it's always my pleasure. I'll help any way I can!

And yeah, I bet that big bottle of everclear was for dirty work.
    Tommy -->
    ...= ...
    Join the NRA, ask me WHY! CCF on Facebook

Leading Puffer Fish

As I work on a few old estate pipes I recently bought, I find myself wondering if pipe cleaners were a recent invention... I wonder this because as the pile of nasty pipe cleaners builds up I can't help but think that these are the first pipe cleaners the pipe has ever seen... That first one comes out especially nasty, with a brown and black sticky mess of tar and tobacco pieces. But my rambling does have a point here, I have found that soaking the stem in some oxyclean does wonders on both softening up all that mess inside the stem, and also on minor crud and oxidation on the outside, though for heavily oxidized stems it looks like some post-soak sanding may be necessary.
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

This is totally true Nick, I find that using bristled cleaners on estate pipes is the only way to go when restoring.

Deviant Gentleman The Mad Professor's Avatar

Sorry, pretty sure this is a repeat question but didn't see the response.

What do you do when toothpaste and Brasso isn't removing all the oxidization after five scrubs?

I have some REALLY bad oxidized vulcanite stems from two old abused calabashes that I've been cleaning. I have scrubbed each five times now, and there is still some green oxidization. It is improving, but quite slowly, and I'm afraid they still might need another 4 or 5 scrubbings.

I've used bleach before to remove oxidization from ones this bad, but that seems to pit the vulcanite and leave a bad surface to shine. Just read Nick's tip below for Oxyclean and sanding, but never used the stuff before.

What do you do when stems are this bad?

Thanks bro!

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Professor View Post
    Sorry, pretty sure this is a repeat question but didn't see the response.

What do you do when toothpaste and Brasso isn't removing all the oxidization after five scrubs?

I have some REALLY bad oxidized vulcanite stems from two old abused calabashes that I've been cleaning. I have scrubbed each five times now, and there is still some green oxidization. It is improving, but quite slowly, and I'm afraid they still might need another 4 or 5 scrubbings.

I've used bleach before to remove oxidization from ones this bad, but that seems to pit the vulcanite and leave a bad surface to shine. Just read Nick's tip below for Oxyclean and sanding, but never used the stuff before.

What do you do when stems are this bad?

Thanks bro!
    Not trying to jack karatekyle's thread here, but did you try a magic eraser? I used it of a few of my stems and it worked wonders, though I will still probably have to do a little sanding, but I am a little OCD about my stems... It certainly gives passable results...
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    but did you try a magic eraser?
    No I didn't but I remember reading about that once. Is that the Mr Clean Magic Erasers? I already searched through all my art erasers, twice in fact, before I googled it and turned up those Mr Clean ones.

Leading Puffer Fish

No I didn't but I remember reading about that once. Is that the Mr Clean Magic Erasers? I already searched through all my art erasers, twice in fact, before I googled it and turned up those Mr Clean ones.
    Yup, the MR Clean ones. I have only used them after I soak the stem in Oxy Clean, but they do a nice job. I also say a youtube vid on using Barkeepers friend, and I have tried it...It works but does take some elbow grease... I think if you have a fairly large amount of oxidation you wonít be able to avoid sanding after you clean off the green crud... but I havenít donít the toothpaste method...

I agree a lot with what Nick has suggested. MR erasers are definitely another good tool. I might recommend grabbing a buffing wheel and putting it in a hand drill. Build your own little buffing station. Then pick up some red tripoli and white diamond. They'll take the last remnants off and bring it to a beautiful shine. Even when you use bleach, the tripoli will buff it up well.

Awesome info! Thank you both!

Awesome info! Thank you both!
    I'm always more than happy to help! And thanks Nick for answering his question, I had a different method in mind but yours is much cheaper and easier. Two heads are always better than one!

Puffer Fish with some spikes jtree26's Avatar

I'm trying to understand the order of steps and I'm struggling a bit. This is what I'm planning to do with a Ben Wade estate I picked up.

1. Use acetone to strip finish
    2. sand with 0000 steel wool
    3. stain
    4. mineral oil
    5. tung oil
    6. buff like crazy
    6. carnauba

Does this look correct or do I have too many things going on?

Quote Originally Posted by jtree26 View Post

1. Use acetone to strip finish
    2. sand with 0000 steel wool (only if needed, you don't need to on all pipes)
    3. stain (if needed/desired)

CHOOSE ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

4. mineral oil

4. tung oil
    5. buff like crazy

4. carnauba
    I'll just FTFY. Only sand if there's grain you need to even out or something. You usually only need sanding on a full restore, not a refinish. Staining is up to you. If you want to change the color, do it. The acetone will pull a little color out so if you want to darken it to its original color, stain away. The rest is pretty self explanatory. Mineral oil, tung oil, and carnuaba are seperate finishing options. Pick one. Or mix and match to experiment! I've noticed from my own experiments that mineral oil and then carnauba will give your briar grain a lot of depth.

Puffer Fish with some spikes jtree26's Avatar

I'll just FTFY. Only sand if there's grain you need to even out or something. You usually only need sanding on a full restore, not a refinish. Staining is up to you. If you want to change the color, do it. The acetone will pull a little color out so if you want to darken it to its original color, stain away. The rest is pretty self explanatory. Mineral oil, tung oil, and carnuaba are seperate finishing options. Pick one. Or mix and match to experiment! I've noticed from my own experiments that mineral oil and then carnauba will give your briar grain a lot of depth.
    Perfect, thanks for the input!

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast