Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

This is a discussion on How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by jtree26 Perfect, thanks for the input! My pleasure, brother!...

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

Quote Originally Posted by jtree26 View Post
    Perfect, thanks for the input!
    My pleasure, brother!

is mineral oil preferred over olive oil ? I seem to read about people using olive oil more..

Olive oil can spoil. Also, its tastes and smells like olive oil. I don't want my pipe smelling like Panara bread. The reason people use it is because its more common and cheap. But for $.25 more, you can get mineral oil. Which doesn't spoil, is tasteless, clear, and doesn't smell like olive oil! Not dissing on anyone that uses olive oil, I just think mineral oil does a more professional job.

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    Olive oil can spoil. Also, its tastes and smells like olive oil.
    That makes more sense... Never tried the oil thing , but if I do it will be mineral oil.... Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JD11 View Post
    That makes more sense... Never tried the oil thing , but if I do it will be mineral oil.... Thanks
    Absolutely!!

Puffer Fish with some spikes jtree26's Avatar

I've got a question on a "light" restoration job. I picked up a Stanwell estate on ebay, it's in pretty good shape. It doesn't have any major scratches or dings, it just needs to be "brightened" up a little bit. Would a quick polish with White Diamond and a coat of wax do the trick? My concern is that the buffing might strip too much of the existing finish off. It's already a nice looking old pipe, I just to bring the shine back.

Quote Originally Posted by jtree26 View Post
    I've got a question on a "light" restoration job. I picked up a Stanwell estate on ebay, it's in pretty good shape. It doesn't have any major scratches or dings, it just needs to be "brightened" up a little bit. Would a quick polish with White Diamond and a coat of wax do the trick? My concern is that the buffing might strip too much of the existing finish off. It's already a nice looking old pipe, I just to bring the shine back.
    That would work perfectly! I have nothing to add or subtract. Its exactly what I'd do to brighten up a pipe.

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    That would work perfectly! I have nothing to add or subtract. Its exactly what I'd do to brighten up a pipe.
    If you want my take on it, I would second this... I did this on a couple of my pipes that were a little lackluster and now they really shine.
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

I've got a project I've been toying with, and was wondering if you have any advice on giving an old pipe the "Dunhill Dress Black" finish?

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    I've got a project I've been toying with, and was wondering if you have any advice on giving an old pipe the "Dunhill Dress Black" finish?

That is just a solid shiny black finish, right?
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    That is just a solid shiny black finish, right?
    Yes, like gloss black, except you can sort of see the grain shining through too...

Leading Puffer Fish

Yes, like gloss black, except you can sort of see the grain shining through too...
    What about removing the old finish (stain and wax) and restaining with some black leather stain. stain and wipe down, repeat until you get the desired level of black to grain showing through that you want. Then buff and wax. The only thing is I donít know if the black stain would completely cover the grain. I know some pipes that look black are actually dark purple, especially the sandblasted ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    What about removing the old finish (stain and wax) and restaining with some black leather stain. stain and wipe down, repeat until you get the desired level of black to grain showing through that you want. Then buff and wax. The only thing is I donít know if the black stain would completely cover the grain. I know some pipes that look black are actually dark purple, especially the sandblasted ones.
    Well, that certainly sounds easy enough. It's probably in here somewhere already, so I apologize, but what black leather stain do you recommend?

Puffer Fish with some spikes jtree26's Avatar

Thanks for confirming my plan!

Leading Puffer Fish

Well, that certainly sounds easy enough. It's probably in here somewhere already, so I apologize, but what black leather stain do you recommend?
    Never used it myself, but I think Kyle recommends Fiebing's.

Here: Amazon.com: Tandy Leather Fiebings U.S.M.C. Black Leather Dye 2100-01: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Speak up Kyle if I have something wrong here.

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast