Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

This is a discussion on How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Nick S. Never used it myself, but I think Kyle recommends Fiebing's. Here: Amazon.com: Tandy Leather Fiebings ...

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Re: How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

Quote Originally Posted by Nick S. View Post
    Never used it myself, but I think Kyle recommends Fiebing's.

Here: Amazon.com: Tandy Leather Fiebings U.S.M.C. Black Leather Dye 2100-01: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

Speak up Kyle if I have something wrong here.
    No, rock on Nick! I will say that feibings black will only do so much. Dress pipes are an almost painted look. I've never done the dress pipe look before, you may have to experiment a bit. Actually painting and waxing might be your best bet, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    No, rock on Nick! I will say that feibings black will only do so much. Dress pipes are an almost painted look. I've never done the dress pipe look before, you may have to experiment a bit. Actually painting and waxing might be your best bet, actually.
    So, what paint would you try?

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    What about multiple coats? Wouldn't that make it darker?

Wouldn't paint prevent the briar from breathing?
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes CALIFORNIA KID's Avatar

I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm almost sure my questions are not in the thread. mainly because they probably should not even be in the thread. But I am putting them here because I am betting you can answer them.

So I have carved a pipe out of a carve your own briar kit.

I need to finish it.

I was thinking of making it black but still want to be able to see the grain. If that is even possible.

I was thinking I would use a black stain then sand it down, my goal is to make something that might be similar to a laminated gun sock. would this work?

If it would not work is there any way to make it white.

what kind of stain and more importantly where do I get it

so lets suppose that I have successfully stained my pipe

now I need to polish, what compound do I use, the one I have that I use for acrylic works really well but it is green so I am afraid it make the pipe green

now for wax, I cave carnauba mold release wax, will this work or do I need a different carnauba
    disclaimer: I am a just a guy with too many cigars and too many guns, what ever I say is probably wrong. PM me if you are in the 916 and want to herf

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    So, what paint would you try?
    Now you've got me, Dan. Honestly, I've never gone the route of the traditional dress pipe look. I figure, any black off the Hobby Lobby rack would be a good start. Otherwise, it might be interesting to email a company like peterson or savinelli and see if they'll tell you whether its a paint of stain that is used.

What about multiple coats? Wouldn't that make it darker?

Wouldn't paint prevent the briar from breathing?
    I have tried multiple coats of a dark Feibings and it doesn't give the pipe that grainless black appearance paint would. And frankly, briar doesn't breathe. All the stuff about absorbing and releasing moisture from the tobacco to give you a drier smoke is exagerrated. Heat causes the wood to expand. The cake stops water from entering the wood. If it did, the water could cause fissures when the stummel cooled. It can handle some moisture but minimal moisture is best. Carnuaba is used to finish pipes because it doesnt crack when they warm. It just melts to fit the new shape. Paint may crack and look ugly but its effect on the pipe would most likely be minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by CALIFORNIA KID View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread, but I'm almost sure my questions are not in the thread. mainly because they probably should not even be in the thread. But I am putting them here because I am betting you can answer them.

So I have carved a pipe out of a carve your own briar kit.

I need to finish it.

I was thinking of making it black but still want to be able to see the grain. If that is even possible.

I was thinking I would use a black stain then sand it down, my goal is to make something that might be similar to a laminated gun sock. would this work?

If it would not work is there any way to make it white.

what kind of stain and more importantly where do I get it

so lets suppose that I have successfully stained my pipe

now I need to polish, what compound do I use, the one I have that I use for acrylic works really well but it is green so I am afraid it make the pipe green

now for wax, I cave carnauba mold release wax, will this work or do I need a different carnauba
    For a black grained look, the feibings Nick linked in above will work wonders. Brush it on, let it dry for 2-3 days, then buff it gently with superfine steel wool. It'll look great! From there, the polished usually used are red tripoli, white diamond, then carnauba. Really, you can do carnauba immediately after the wool but its up to you on how "mint" you want it to look. If the mold release stuff is 100% solid wax, it should work.

Leading Puffer Fish

I've got a project I've been toying with, and was wondering if you have any advice on giving an old pipe the "Dunhill Dress Black" finish?
    Of course you should post before and after pictures.... maybe even some during...
    Join us for the Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: May's blend is Dunhill's Nightcap. Post reviews and join the discussion here.

Of course you should post before and after pictures.... maybe even some during...
    I'll definitely do that. I think I'm going to go with multiple layers of the leather dye, rather than the paint. I'll scream if I run into any trouble!

Leading Puffer Fish

I'll definitely do that. I think I'm going to go with multiple layers of the leather dye, rather than the paint. I'll scream if I run into any trouble!
    Sounds good, once you do that buff it up with some carnauba wax and it will really shine. I gave some new life so some of my old pipes that way, and now they shine like a freshly buffed pair of dress shoes.

I'm excited to see how it works!!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes CALIFORNIA KID's Avatar

still wrong thread but I am betting you can answer

I am carving a pipe, what is the thinest the walls can be?
    disclaimer: I am a just a guy with too many cigars and too many guns, what ever I say is probably wrong. PM me if you are in the 916 and want to herf

Quote Originally Posted by CALIFORNIA KID View Post
    still wrong thread but I am betting you can answer

I am carving a pipe, what is the thinest the walls can be?
    Ooo! Interesting question! Hmm. I don't really know a specific measurement to give you. I suppose it depends on the briar, better brair would be able to be carved into more delicate pipes. Don't ask me how to grade briar blocks because I'm just ass-babbling now. Check out some pipe pictures and get an idea of the minimum width for a normal-grade pipe. Thats the best answer I can give, brother

Ok, as promised I have some before and after pictures. I bought this pipe on e-bay becasue I really like the tankard style by Peterson, and this one seemed really neat. I don't remember what I paid, but I remember it was cheap.

Here are the before shots:

As you can see, it had a bad ream (I bought it that way) and looked burnt all around the top. Nonetheless, it is a GREAT smoker and I wanted to "save it".

Here's the results:

I am delighted with the results and I'm glad you guys encouraged me to do this. Who needs Dunhill anyway...

Cheers!

Leading Puffer Fish

WOW! That really turned out great, did you go with the leather stain?

WOW! That really turned out great, did you go with the leather stain?
    No, I found an "Onyx" wood stain at Lowe's and went with that. It obviously covered most of the grain, but I think it looks great.

Leading Puffer Fish

No, I found an "Onyx" wood stain at Lowe's and went with that. It obviously covered most of the grain, but I think it looks great.
    Yeah, it looks really good. I think the silver mount really completes the look. Did you wax it?

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast