Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Loose stem fix?

This is a discussion on Loose stem fix? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by mikev Did the nail polish trick work? I have a Savinelli Punto Oro Corallo that sat in ...

Re: Loose stem fix?

Quote Originally Posted by mikev View Post
    Did the nail polish trick work? I have a Savinelli Punto Oro Corallo that sat in the car too long and has a very loose stem.
    Mike, I had a Dr Grabow Big Pipe that the stem was getting very loose on. I tried the clear nail polish trick on it, and it worked GREAT! I just did the fix a day or two ago, and haven't smoked the pipe yet, so I can't say if the nail polish fix will last long or not.

I would try smoking the pipe a few times first. It may be that the wood dried and shrank from sitting in your car, and a smoke or two will swell it back up enough to snug it back up.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Steel Talon's Avatar

Gregg, Try some teflon thread tape.. It'll work just fine.

Good Karma
    Tal~
    Take your time...Don't live to fast..Troubles will come and they will pass..

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    Mike, I had a Dr Grabow Big Pipe that the stem was getting very loose on. I tried the clear nail polish trick on it, and it worked GREAT! I just did the fix a day or two ago, and haven't smoked the pipe yet, so I can't say if the nail polish fix will last long or not.

I would try smoking the pipe a few times first. It may be that the wood dried and shrank from sitting in your car, and a smoke or two will swell it back up enough to snug it back up.
    Great, thanks for your advise!

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

I've tried both the nail polish and tape trick. Of the 2, the clear polish has worked the best.
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

For any thermoplastic material stem, perhaps not acrylic and definitely not bakelite ones, carefully heating the tenon until very warm (I use a lighter - rotating the stem above the flame) will soften it a touch. Then press firmly straight down on the end of the tenon onto a flat solid surface. Hold, pressing down, until it cools. This will expand the tenon permanently. Repeat if not tight enough.

The risk is that you overheat and ruin the stem entirely. Several unsuccessful attempts with the tenon not warm enough is much better than one badly botched attempt.

It's worked for me several times.

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    For any thermoplastic material stem, perhaps not acrylic and definitely not bakelite ones, carefully heating the tenon until very warm (I use a lighter - rotating the stem above the flame) will soften it a touch. Then press firmly straight down on the end of the tenon onto a flat solid surface. Hold, pressing down, until it cools. This will expand the tenon permanently. Repeat if not tight enough.

The risk is that you overheat and ruin the stem entirely. Several unsuccessful attempts with the tenon not warm enough is much better than one badly botched attempt.

It's worked for me several times.
    Hmmm...might need to try this. I've got several other new stems if I do ruin it. Thanks for the tip.
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2