Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Topping off a bowl?

This is a discussion on Topping off a bowl? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; One evening, I set my pipe down with about 1/4 of a bowl of LBF left over. The next morning, ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ten08's Avatar

Topping off a bowl?

One evening, I set my pipe down with about 1/4 of a bowl of LBF left over. The next morning, I knew I'd have time for a full bowl. The pipe was completely cool by then, of course. I was in the mood for PA, but instead of scooping out the remaining LBF, I tapped the ash out, and topped off the bowl with the PA. It smoked without any difficulty, and I didn't notice anything odd about the flavor. I rather enjoyed the sudden transition when I reached the LBF at the bottom.

Is there anything wrong with combining fresh and burnt tobacco like this?

Re: Topping off a bowl?

I hope not. I don't do it very often, but I have done it.
    ********.com

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Not if you enjoyed it.

While smoking at work,I have done it as many as three or four times in one day. A great way to smoke a bowl all day and I always seem to enjoy the changes in flavor.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

I think you have your answer from practical experience. I just did it with the bottom half of some Black XX yesterday. Knocked out the ash and refilled with PA. All was well. Like Mark, I don't do it often, but it does come up occasionally.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Maturing Puffer Fish

People often forget that a pipe is piece of wood that you burn leaves in. Its not a cell phone lol. Old codgers have been chain smoking there one briar pipe with that one blend time and time again with no trouble. Us pipers today take care of our pipes so well its sometimes baffles the old guys.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ten08's Avatar

ok, so... Tobacco Parfaits for all!

Thanks everyone. Pipe smoking has been a solo effort so far. I've had several conversations about pipes with my tobacconist, but I only smoke cigars when I'm at the B&M lounge with friends. Now, I have a fear that the first time I smoke my pipe around anyone experienced, they will recoil in disgust at something I've done.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Kevin Keith's Avatar

Not a thing in the world wrong with it. In fact, anything with PA is automatically approved and it's good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by ten08 View Post
    Now, I have a fear that the first time I smoke my pipe around anyone experienced, they will recoil in disgust at something I've done.
    Take my word for it, other pipe smokers will be more than happy just to see another pipe smoker, no matter how you're handling your equipment. Offhand, I can't think of a less critical sport than pipe smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by ten08 View Post
    ok, so... Tobacco Parfaits for all!.
    Not Parfait...Onions.
    NomoMoMo's Cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/nomomomo
    Sarcasm is wasted on cats...

Puffer Fish with many spikes mturnmm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Take my word for it, other pipe smokers will be more than happy just to see another pipe smoker, no matter how you're handling your equipment. Offhand, I can't think of a less critical sport than pipe smoking.
    So let me get this straight...last week when I read you gotta do this and that....like only smoke out of your briar 1 time and then it needs to rest for a day...then you can smoke.....but smoke those cobs however you want cause they are so cheap it really don't matter...help me out I'm confused!
    Here's to us and those like us!
    God Bless our Troops...especially our Snipers!

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    If you ever see a pipe smoker who rides you for what you smoke, just remember this: he's the token a-hole in the crowd, and no one else likes him either.
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by mturnmm View Post
    So let me get this straight...last week when I read you gotta do this and that....like only smoke out of your briar 1 time and then it needs to rest for a day...then you can smoke.....but smoke those cobs however you want cause they are so cheap it really don't matter...help me out I'm confused!
    Okay, here's the lowdown on "pipe smoking rules". They're all bullshit. No, not really, but you have to think of them more as guides to success rather than hard and fast rules. Everybody who picks up the pipe wants to know exactly how to do it, so each group of new arrivals learns all these rules, and when they've been smoking a while, they pass the rules down to the next batch of noobs. Then later they just say screw it; I'm gonna do what I want to do, while that next batch of noobs is passing down the rules to the next set of noobs. It's all a progression that seems pretty silly with some distance, but it really does help at first.
    ********.com

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

I've been smoking a pipe about 5 or 6 months now. It really does take a while to find out what works for you, the last month has been the most enjoyable. As far as rules go if you find something you like better do that.

Quote Originally Posted by mturnmm View Post
    Most of my posts containing recommendations tend toward returning to ol' timey smoking, ie, same pipe or two all day (although a different pipe tomorrow). I have smoked one bowl after another in the same pipe and lived to tell the tale! I'm in the "semi-clean pipe" school and run a pipe cleaner through after every smoke and try to clean it with alcohol before putting it away if I've smoked it all day -- I sometimes skip the alcohol operation, sloven that I am. I'm not a big believer in packing technique for everyday smoking, either, about the only rule being don't pack it too tight; pretty much anything works as long as you can easily suck air through it. Relax! The longer you smoke a pipe the easier it gets. There's not a lot to learn that you can't figure out by trial and error.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast