Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cleaning a cob

This is a discussion on Cleaning a cob within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Cobs seem to be a different animal from what I gather...but I could be wrong. What's the best way to ...

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Cleaning a cob

Cobs seem to be a different animal from what I gather...but I could be wrong. What's the best way to clean out the bowl? My cobs tend to get smoked more than others and I was wanting to do the salt/everclear thing but seem to remember this was a no no. Can I safely clean up the bowl this way or is there another way?

TIA
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Disinterested

Re: Cleaning a cob

Inquiring cheap-skates want to know! I usually just buy another, but I always lament losing the "character" of the one I'm discarding.

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

go to wal-mart or k-mart or your handy gun store and buy a 12ga shotgun brass cleaning brush.. spin it around in the bowl a couple of times and run a pip cleaner through the stem and you're ready to go.

Disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Raccoon View Post
    go to wal-mart or k-mart or your handy gun store and buy a 12ga shotgun brass cleaning brush.. spin it around in the bowl a couple of times and run a pip cleaner through the stem and you're ready to go.
    "Tornado brush"?

I've heard the everclear thing is a no-no too, but I do it anyway.....kind of.

Soak a pipe cleaner in the strong stuff and cram it down the stem. Let sit for a bit and run patches through until clean. Except for the patches being pipe cleaners, of course...

As to the bowl, I take my pipe tool and scrape out the cake where it isn't even (if at all) and get the bits of dottle out from under where the stem protrudes into the bowl.

Here's where the sacrilege happens - and I do this with my briars too! About once a week I take another pipe cleaner and soak it in whatever liquor I have around. I've used rum, tequila, and Irish whiskey with similar results. I take the soaked pipe cleaner and swab the inside of the bowl, flip over the swab and do the same thing again with the dry side. I swear that this gets rid of any ghosting when I do it on a regular basis, and the flavors from the liquor don't seem to transfer to the bowl.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    "Tornado brush"?
    no but I have been thinking of trying one..
    I just use your basic brush

I keep the shanks cleaned out with everclear soaked pipe cleaners. I usually do this every couple of bowls. I've found that cobs can sour, and keeping the shanks clean pretty much solves this problem.

As for the bowl.....I think I may have done a salt treatment on a cob once or twice, maybe when one soured? They don't ghost to any significant degree, so no need to worry with that for the most part. I ream them when the cake gets out of hand, but other than reaming, I don't do anything to the bowls routinely. I tolerate a little cake in my cobs, but not much.

Are you having an issue that you feel the need to clean? Ghosting or something? Or just generally wondering "should I clean them"?

Keep the shanks clean, ream the cake, and smoke 'em

I still consider myself a pipe newbie, I've only been smoking pipes for a little over a year, so I don't profess to be an expert, just giving you my experience. Here's a pic of my oldest cob, one of my first pipes, next to a new cob. Notice the coloring on the bowl. I've had it probably 18 months or so, and I've smoked it hundreds of times, I'm sure. And all I ever do is keep the shanks clean and ream the cake. It's still one of my best smokers and one of my favorite pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    I keep the shanks cleaned out with everclear soaked pipe cleaners. I usually do this every couple of bowls. I've found that cobs can sour, and keeping the shanks clean pretty much solves this problem.

As for the bowl.....I think I may have done a salt treatment on a cob once or twice, maybe when one soured? They don't ghost to any significant degree, so no need to worry with that for the most part. I ream them when the cake gets out of hand, but other than reaming, I don't do anything to the bowls routinely. I tolerate a little cake in my cobs, but not much.

Are you having an issue that you feel the need to clean? Ghosting or something? Or just generally wondering "should I clean them"?

I still consider myself a pipe newbie, I've only been smoking pipes for a little over a year, so I don't profess to be an expert, just giving you my experience. Here's a pic of my oldest cob, one of my first pipes, next to a new cob. Notice the coloring on the bowl. I've had it probably 18 months or so, and I've smoked it hundreds of times, I'm sure. And all I ever do is keep the shanks clean and ream the cake. It's still one of my best smokers and one of my favorite pipes.
    Just a general cleaning. I take care of the stem and shank on a fairly regular basis but haven't really touched the bowl. I thought the salt treatment was frowned upon because the cob was more porous maybe.

No liquids in a cob.. It can and most probably will ruin them. I really like the brush idea! I don't like cake in my cobs so I twist a paper towel into the bowl after each smoke to avoid it altogether. A cleaner through the shank & stem every few bowls and a thorough cleaning of the stem (removed) every 10 bowls or so. That's all I do.

They do make a "bowl sweetener" for soured pipes but I've never used it. I have read that a q-tip or cleaner dipped in rum or bourbon and rum through the shank now and again helps too.
    Dale

Removed per request

Like Dale, I twist some paper towel in the bowl and basically wipe it out. If it build up too much use a little fine grit sand paper to ream it. I just run cleaners through the shank. I wouldn't put any liquid in it at all 'cause it can absord it and compromise the integrity of the bowl!

Ahhh, thanks guys!

Removed per request

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    Inquiring cheap-skates want to know! I usually just buy another, but I always lament losing the "character" of the one I'm discarding.
    Don, I'm with you. I know they're cheap enough, but I just cain't bring myself to pitch an old friend!

Removed per request

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post

Nice lookin' oldster Clifford! The Forever stem gives a nice churchwarden air. The noob pipe will be there soon enough I imagine.

I use bristle cleaners and Everclear in the stem and, on occasion, Everclear on a Q-tip in the shank. My three natural Diplomats get smoked the most and I use a "butterfly" reamer or some sandpaper on a mandrel in my drill press to remove cake. I won't take the risk of using Everclear in the bowl as natural finished Diplomats are no longer available and I don't want to risk ruining mine. I only smoke va/vapers in my natural Diplomats, btw.

WyoBob
    WyoBob

I NEVER clean out around the bottom of a bowl in a cob. After a while, I can just run a Castleford reamer in there, and it looks just like any briar bowl, nice round and smooth.
    ********.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast