Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Has anyone tried using charcoal briquette ash for making pipe mud?

This is a discussion on Has anyone tried using charcoal briquette ash for making pipe mud? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Apparently, because of higher calcium carbonate content, some folks say this works better than cigar ash. Anyone used it? Thanks! ...

Has anyone tried using charcoal briquette ash for making pipe mud?

Apparently, because of higher calcium carbonate content, some folks say this works better than cigar ash. Anyone used it?

Thanks!

John

Re: Has anyone tried using charcoal briquette ash for making pipe mud?

Because of the added chemicals used in briquettes, I would avoid it. Also consider food drippings and odors that could possibly introduce mold issues. I would stick with cigar ash.
    Dale

Quote Originally Posted by DSturg369 View Post
    Because of the added chemicals used in briquettes, I would avoid it. Also consider food drippings and odors that could possibly introduce mold issues. I would stick with cigar ash.
    ^^ This. Also keep in mind that charcoal briquets are sometimes made from recycled wood like ground up furniture with their requisite glues and nasty stuff - one reason to use lump instead of briquets.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

+1 on avoiding charcoal briquets. . .

There have been a lot of threads on Pipe Mud over the years.
    While I think a lot of the recipes would work, for my own pipes, I'd use the "carbon coat" pipemakers put in their bowls:

Activated Charcoal
    Extra Fine Pumice
    Sodium Silicate (i.e. Waterglass)

It's 100% odorless and free of toxins. And it breathes.

All components are inexpensive, although the Pumice and Waterglass may need to be mail-ordered.
    If you are just trying to mud the bottom of a cob, then cigar ash/water/honey (or whatever) should be fine.
    But, really, getting the proper ingredients won't cost more than $30 or so. And you'll have enough to restore 1000 pipes.

I wasn't going to cook on it! Lump might be the way to go, though, and I do have some.

Hell no; you ever smell those things?
    ********.com

Young Fish

Realistically if you get a good clean ash that has been completely combusted you have nothing to worry about. However, why not just stick with the classics. A little cigar ash and some spit really does wonders.

OK, I've figured out many of you have not seen this thread. I hope it's OK to link to another pipe forum. If not, I'll delete this later, someone let me know, please.

This thread is why I am after the charcoal. There is some chemistry here which I find compelling. I am not arguing that cigar or pipe ash does not work--obviously it does work based on long experience. The point is wood ash, burned at very high temperatures, works better. I am inclined to agree with the author of this post-- he's an engineer with a specialty in cement. So while not discounting the suggestions here, I am very intrigued by the science here.

I am going to use charcoal ash, I will use lump charcoal and I will not cook on it. But I'm doing it. I will let you all know how it works out. I will report back how it works because I think you may be interested in it.

Pipe mud and pipe cement (WARNING: GIANT POST) :: Pipe Repair and Maintenance :: Pipe Smokers Forums

Interesting. But why not just burn a log rather than using charcoal?
    ********.com

Removed per request

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    ^^ This. Also keep in mind that charcoal briquets are sometimes made from recycled wood like ground up furniture with their requisite glues and nasty stuff - one reason to use lump instead of briquets.

Not to sound like a skirt, but....Ewwww!

Removed per request

Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
    OK, I've figured out many of you have not seen this thread. I hope it's OK to link to another pipe forum. If not, I'll delete this later, someone let me know, please.

This thread is why I am after the charcoal. There is some chemistry here which I find compelling. I am not arguing that cigar or pipe ash does not work--obviously it does work based on long experience. The point is wood ash, burned at very high temperatures, works better. I am inclined to agree with the author of this post-- he's an engineer with a specialty in cement. So while not discounting the suggestions here, I am very intrigued by the science here.

I am going to use charcoal ash, I will use lump charcoal and I will not cook on it. But I'm doing it. I will let you all know how it works out. I will report back how it works because I think you may be interested in it.

Pipe mud and pipe cement (WARNING: GIANT POST) :: Pipe Repair and Maintenance :: Pipe Smokers Forums

I'd think a chemist would know, but someone who drives trains is good too. heh heh

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Interesting. But why not just burn a log rather than using charcoal?
    Um, It hit 97 degrees here yesterday! My wife would know I was off my nut if I fired up the fireplace!

I'm hoping charcoal will have similar properties. I'm going to test a ball of the mud for strength before trying it. But I thought it was a fascinating discussion. The speed with which it set up, the strength differences, were all pretty significant.