Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

So...I'm from the Cigar side and just started the pipe smoking

This is a discussion on So...I'm from the Cigar side and just started the pipe smoking within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Does pipe tobacco age like cigar tobacco?? I mean I can smoke two cigars that came from the same box ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes mturnmm's Avatar

So...I'm from the Cigar side and just started the pipe smoking

Does pipe tobacco age like cigar tobacco?? I mean I can smoke two cigars that came from the same box and get a slightly different experience. However, each bowl of x tobacco basically is the same. And the beginning of the bowl is pretty much like the end of the bowl.
    Here's to us and those like us!
    God Bless our Troops...especially our Snipers!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Re: So...I'm from the Cigar side and just started the pipe smoking

General rule of thumb-
    Aromatics - Age is minimal benefit as the flavourings die out, kinda like infused cigars.
    Virginians (VA) - Benefits most from aging, flavours become deeper and richer and sugar crystals form on the tobacco, VA is high in sugar and yummy. Well aged tins of VA are known to bulge.
    Burleys - Properly around average I'd say at least from what I hear.
    Latakia (english, balkans etc) - Supposed to be a derivative of virginia and definitely benefits from harsh, loses some harsh notes and enriches flavour, probably same for orientals too.

Pipe baccy is wildly different from one blend/variety to another. For example a VA blend could either consist of purely one type of virginian or several, or others such as VA/burleys, english, balkans, aromatics etc can consist of mutliple types of tobacco. Then add the different forms or cuts of tobacco eg plug, flake, cake, ribbon, shag. When smoking a ribbon cut you could be smoking different quantities of each tobacco in the blend at different types altering the flavour.

In my humble noob experience some baccys do taste the same start to finish, but it's a beautiful start to finish, while others do transition with different flavours/tobaccos dominating/culminating at different times. End of the day, depends on what you're smoking.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

In my humble experience some baccys do taste the same start to finish, but it's a beautiful start to finish, while others do transition with different flavours/tobaccos dominating/culminating at different times. End of the day, depends on what you're smoking.
    Nicely put Andrew. To the OP I will add this, do not compare the pipe tobacco experience to cigars whether it be ageing, storing or smoking. They are very different beasts but like most animals, when you get them tamed they are a beauty to behold in their own right.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Puffer Fish with some spikes BrunoBlack's Avatar

If you desire a transitional experience while smoking. Try mixing some different baccy. Start with heavy from brand a A at the bottom and heavier on Brand B at the top. I sometimes mix in a bit of Peterson's Connoisseurs choice with say Condor Flake to achieve a varied smoke. The are very different flavours and will vary wildly from start to finish. Use the lighter at the top as the stronger IMO overpowers the weaker strength Baccy.

I will generally agree with what has been said about aging here. Virginias and VaPers in my experience NEED some age to reach peak enjoyability. Some, like Orlik Golden Sliced will smoke fine right out of the tin, and very young. However, other 100% Virginias (OGS has a bit of perique in it) really need 6 months to a year before they calm down and start to smoke easier. More time yields more mellowness and depth.

Burleys should be enjoyed NOW. Age can do not so good things to most burley blends in my experience.

Englishes/Balkans with a dose of Latakia? I dunno. I don't smoke enough of them to know really. But the Virginia component of those blends couldn't hurt with a bit of time methinks. Most things I've read say that Latakia doesn't like age so much, but some old balkans and englishes bring a pretty penny.

I have to say though, that I detect a good transition from top to bottom of the bowl in my favorite blends. ESPECIALLY virginias! They hit a sweet spot mid bowl that is something really special, and smooth out from top to bottom.

With Latakia blends, they latakia seems to fade from light to heel, and meld with the other tobacco flavors as the bowl progresses.

Vapers tend to become more Perique forward as the smoke progresses.

Like cigars, you tastebuds will detect more subtlety in the blend as time progresses and your technique improves.