Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How do you keep your pipe tobaccos fresh economically ?

This is a discussion on How do you keep your pipe tobaccos fresh economically ? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by gahdzila ok, now *I'm* confused. The other guys told you "glass mason jars.". You didn't like that ...

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: How do you keep your pipe tobaccos fresh economically ?

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    ok, now *I'm* confused.

The other guys told you "glass mason jars.". You didn't like that answer, so they joked around a little. Then I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt, and told you "glass mason jars" again, and even told you what sizes I like. Then you come back with this snide remark.

I'm not sure what you want, brother. Glass mason jars are pretty much what we all use for short and long term storage. That's it, the end. No one is hiding anything from you, that's really what we *ALL* use! From us lowly nobodies, to the great Gregg Pease. There just isn't anything else out there as effective, readily available, and economical.

Is there some reason you don't want to use glass mason jars? If so, why not just tell us. We'll discuss it.

Do you have something else in mind? Tell us, maybe we'll learn something from you. Or at least discuss it.

Or do you just not believe us? If you don't trust our judgement, why ask in the first place?
    Listen to Cliff he knows as much about pipe tobacco as i know about Cuban Cigars!
    He is kind respectful and a great BOTL!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by nimaimeshinchan View Post
    I don't know exactly....that is why i was hoping to get some suggetsions ,but i guess i was wrong about getting good ideas from you guys .my fault
    Curious, are you asking not only about storage but other pipe tricks, ideas and suggestions. Pipe tobacco storage is easy compared to cigars, but there is a learning curve to smoking pipes, and a lot of tricks to aid in your enjoyment, but without knowing specifically what you're looking for there's no way to help. Are you looking for packing info, pipe info, tobacco info, lighting info, smoking info, breaking-in info, cellaring info, etc.... The members here are more than willing to help, but we just need specifics, and once we have that you will get tons of tricks, tips, ideas and suggestions, probably so much that your head will spin more than if you had just smoked a bowl of tambolaka.
    NomoMoMo's Cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/nomomomo
    Sarcasm is wasted on cats...

I'm watching you.

I guess I'll break from tradition and say I don't use mason jars.

I use Ball jars!

"Only fine cigars are worth smoking, and only men who smoke fine cigars are worth kissing." -Joan Collins

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    Listen to Cliff he knows as much about pipe tobacco as i know about Cuban Cigars!
    He is kind respectful and a great BOTL!
    Tony, thank you for your kind words. It means a lot coming from such a respected member of this community as yourself. But, I am very much still a newbie to pipes, particularly compared to many of the other gentlemen here. I've read a lot, and learned a LOT in my time here, but I've still got a lot left to learn!

Maturing Puffer Fish nimaimeshinchan's Avatar

[QUOTE=gahdzila;3628020]ok, now *I'm* confused.

The other guys told you "glass mason jars.". You didn't like that answer, so they joked around a little. Then I decided to give you the benefit of the doubt, and told you "glass mason jars" again, and even told you what sizes I like. Then you come back with this snide remark.

I'm not sure what you want, brother. Glass mason jars are pretty much what we all use for short and long term storage. That's it, the end. No one is hiding anything from you, that's really what we *ALL* use! From us lowly nobodies, to the great Gregg Pease. There just isn't anything else out there as effective, readily available, and economical.

Is there some reason you don't want to use glass mason jars? If so, why not just tell us. We'll discuss it.

Do you have something else in mind? Tell us, maybe we'll learn something from you. Or at least discuss it.

Or do you just not believe us? If you don't trust our judgement, why ask in the first place? [/QUOT
    well, not that i didn't like the mason jar idea.Only i was already aware of this mothod,so i was hoping that i could get some other knowledge from you guys'experiences on storing tobaccos.somehow,i ended up getting criticism and some jokes about this whole thread ,soI got little discouraged to keep this discussion going .that is all.Again, i just was hoping to hear other methods to store tobaccos.if the mason jars is the only method,no problem.
    Last edited by nimaimeshinchan; 07-21-2012 at 11:48 PM.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Sorry about that we were just having a little fun, no offense intended.

The problem with innovative storage ideas is that a lot of things have been tried; vacuum sealing, tupperware, etc. Some have even been partially to completely successful. However they all pale in comparison to the pure simplicity of the canning jar. It's cheap, readily available, almost idiot proof, and gives the tobacco a ridiculous shelf life.

The only down side is if you accidentally break one open. No tobacco is worth inhaling glass dust.

Quote Originally Posted by NomoMoMo View Post
    Curious, are you asking not only about storage but other pipe tricks, ideas and suggestions. Pipe tobacco storage is easy compared to cigars, but there is a learning curve to smoking pipes, and a lot of tricks to aid in your enjoyment, but without knowing specifically what you're looking for there's no way to help. Are you looking for packing info, pipe info, tobacco info, lighting info, smoking info, breaking-in info, cellaring info, etc.... The members here are more than willing to help, but we just need specifics, and once we have that you will get tons of tricks, tips, ideas and suggestions, probably so much that your head will spin more than if you had just smoked a bowl of tambolaka.
    There seems to be many things to learn about pipe smoking,but I started this thread "How do your keep pipe tobaccos fresh economically?' hoping to learn how to store tobaccos and keep'em fresh(I just want to mention BESIDES mason jars or canning jars methods only if there are more effective or more economical storing tobacco methods that I am not aware of) from other members here.Nothing more,nothing less
    Last edited by nimaimeshinchan; 07-22-2012 at 03:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_2 View Post
    Sorry about that we were just having a little fun, no offense intended.

The problem with innovative storage ideas is that a lot of things have been tried; vacuum sealing, tupperware, etc. Some have even been partially to completely successful. However they all pale in comparison to the pure simplicity of the canning jar. It's cheap, readily available, almost idiot proof, and gives the tobacco a ridiculous shelf life.

The only down side is if you accidentally break one open. No tobacco is worth inhaling glass dust.
    Thanks for trying to make this thread more informative for me now.That means a lot

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    ok, now *I'm* confused.

Or do you just not believe us? If you don't trust our judgement, why ask in the first place?
    well, not that i didn't like the mason jar idea.Only i was already aware of this method,so i was hoping that i could get some other knowledge from you guys' experiences on storing tobaccos.somehow,i ended up getting criticism and some jokes about this whole thread ,so I got little discouraged to keep this discussion going .that is all.Again, i just was hoping to hear other methods to store tobaccos.Now, the reason why I asked how to store tobacco BESIDES using mason jars is that using many jars(if you decided to store many kinds of tobacco in the limited space like my bed room) sounds space consuming and jars made of glass seem pretty heavy and breakable.Also, I have been cigar smokers for almost 7 years now , I think I am well aware of storing cigars and there ARE a few options to it as you may already know.(Using humidors, coolidors,tupperwares,zip lock bags ,etc..)That is why I thought there MAY be other storing methods on storing pipe tobaccos that I am not aware of besides using mason jars as well.However, if using mason jars is ONLY economical and reliable method coming from every members here , I WILL take you guys words for it and apply this info to store my tobaccos .Thank you!
    Last edited by nimaimeshinchan; 07-22-2012 at 04:25 AM.

However, if using mason jars is ONLY economical and reliable method coming from every members here , I WILL take you guys words for it and apply this info to store my tobaccos .
    There it is and I'm glad you got there in the end.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

He doesn't like the simplicity of Ball jars with rubber lid seals, I guess. He want something more complex.

First, build a metal walk-in cabinet to store your tobaccos in ... Hook it up to it's own HVAC system for precise temperature control.

How do you keep your  pipe tobaccos fresh economically ?-airhandlers.jpg

Then get an in-duct humidification system for precise control of RH.

How do you keep your  pipe tobaccos fresh economically ?-humidifier3_noted.jpg

Store your tobacco in there, doesn't really matter what you use for containers.

OR

You could use these ...

How do you keep your  pipe tobaccos fresh economically ?-41axtr0nx1l.jpg

By the way, I'm just busting your stones. I couldn't resist.

I keep a pride of hungry Servals in the back yard. Anytime I see a tobacco drying, I just let them eat some of my 'baccy, and out pops nice little kitty fermented and most importantly, remoistened pipe tobacco!

Goes well with the coffee.

Its still better than the dung beetle setup I was using last year.
    Xbox Gamertag: BADF1NGER

Young Fish

Is there much to worry about regarding MOLD? I notice with pipes the tobacco run very moist/wet. The coolest part of my house temp wise is around 80deg F. I know that's not optimal but thats the best I can do.

From what I read with cigars, keeping the RH below 70% prevents mold growth but what about with tobacco thats wet?

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by crizq0 View Post
    Is there much to worry about regarding MOLD? I notice with pipes the tobacco run very moist/wet. The coolest part of my house temp wise is around 80deg F. I know that's not optimal but thats the best I can do.

From what I read with cigars, keeping the RH below 70% prevents mold growth but what about with tobacco thats wet?

I haven't ran into issues with mold, but I make it a point to start with a clean jar ahead of time to reduce the chances of errant spores lurking about.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast