Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How do you keep your pipe tobaccos fresh economically ?

This is a discussion on How do you keep your pipe tobaccos fresh economically ? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I use these for 'open stock' for anything that I'm not going to open if it comes in a tin ...

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

Re: How do you keep your pipe tobaccos fresh economically ?

I use these for 'open stock'

for anything that I'm not going to open if it comes in a tin I simply add it to the shelf in the basement. for storage of bulk tobacco I use the quart size glass canning jars. for travel storage I use a zip-lock baggie.

FWIW...When I purchased my first pipe two years ago from P&C.com, I bought the the 'Smooth Operator' sample pack http://http://pipesandcigars.com/busatsmop.html which came in bulk each in a ziplock bag, then the whole group in another ziplock, and that bag, along with some other misc. tobacco was placed in third ziplock bag. The tobacco (Altadis?) is still moist, but that could also be due to the added PG.
    NomoMoMo's Cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/nomomomo
    Sarcasm is wasted on cats...

Maturing Puffer Fish nimaimeshinchan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Raccoon View Post
    I use these for 'open stock'

for anything that I'm not going to open if it comes in a tin I simply add it to the shelf in the basement. for storage of bulk tobacco I use the quart size glass canning jars. for travel storage I use a zip-lock baggie.
    What is that?! and when can I get one?

Thumbs down Re: How do you keep your pipe tobaccos fresh economically ?

Quote Originally Posted by JCinPA View Post
    He doesn't like the simplicity of Ball jars with rubber lid seals, I guess. He want something more complex.

First, build a metal walk-in cabinet to store your tobaccos in ... Hook it up to it's own HVAC system for precise temperature control.

Attachment 69527

Then get an in-duct humidification system for precise control of RH.

Attachment 69528

Store your tobacco in there, doesn't really matter what you use for containers.

OR

You could use these ...

Attachment 69529
    ..yeah..whatever..from now on ,stop coming to my thread whenever I write another one.Thanks

Well, when you get the correct answer to your question in the first response and then you sneer at it, you really should expect some oddball responses.
    ********.com

I disagree. I did expect something different,but I didn't sneer at it. It looks like that is the way YOU took it,though.

Quote Originally Posted by nimaimeshinchan View Post
    I disagree. I did expect something different,but I didn't sneer at it. It looks like that is the way YOU took it,though.
    You may want to relax a little Shin & take a step back for a minute. Digging at senior members here & telling people not to post in any thread is not going to end well for anyone. The boys (myself included) are just mostly having a little fun with you, nothing personal.
    Last edited by Tashaz; 07-25-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Rephrased.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Tashy's Avatar

I'm with Mark C Sunshine
    An it harm none, do as you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tashy View Post
    I'm with Mark C Sunshine
    Oh so what am I? Scotch mist? Bloody hell Mark, now you have enamoured my wife as well. LMAO. I'll still need her services for a few weeks as we have to move house but I'm sure the kids won't mind after that.

..yeah..whatever..from now on ,stop coming to my thread whenever I write another one.Thanks
    Ooooh. A little touchy, aren't we? And my post IMMEDIATELY underneath that one was ...

By the way, I'm just busting your stones. I couldn't resist.

And after your initial snarky response to the posters in this thread, responded to very nicely, IMO, by gahdzila? Listen ...

1. Ball jars are an economical way to store tobacco, and were a perfect answer to your initial inquiry.
    2. If you knew that and wanted other ideas, which eventually came, you could have said that in the OP or been a little less sharp in the way you stated it later.
    3. Either you have an itchy trigger finger and made this comment without seeing my next post, complete with winky emoticon (it can be hard to tell tone on a forum, that's why those are available), or you did read my next comment and simply lack a certain sense of humor required to be a part of communities like this.

On every successful forum community I've been on, they are successful because members are jovial and friendly, not wrapped quite as tight as you seem to be, enjoy poking a little good-natured fun at each other, and have a little bit of a self-deprecating humorous attitude toward themselves. To quote a famous movie line, I think you need to, "Lighten up, Francis."

Like any community you chose who you want to 'hang out with' on Internet forums, and you keep this up you won't have a lot of posters hanging out in your threads. Gahdzila probably will because he is a great guy with a very helpful nature. Others won't because of your snappiness and sarcasm. And that means you won't get as many answers to your questions, short-circuiting much of the benefit of being a member here in the first place.

I am not trying to escalate this at all, really I'm not. I'm just trying to point out that you should consider digesting some this because this seems like a pretty fun place with members who have a good sense of humor who like to tease and be teased, and who have an incredible corporate knowledge base they like to freely share with other. And when their questions are not answered to their satisfaction they would probably come back with,

"Thanks for the replies, guys, I don't think I phrased the OP very well, though. I'm really looking for *explain here*...)

Rather than,

"Boy, what a bunch of lame responses, you guys are not much help!"

I hope you learn to lighten up a bit, I think this is a great Internet hangout. You're not going to enjoy it very much on this path, though, which is a real shame. Good luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    You may want to relax a little Shin & take a step back for a minute. Digging at senior members here & telling people not to post in any thread is not going to end well for anyone. The boys (myself included) are just mostly having a little fun with you, nothing personal.
    There's a man who 'gets it'! You may poke fun at me any time, sir! Lord knows I will give you lots of opportunities.

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

What is that?! and when can I get one?
    here you go..
    The Container Store > Click Clack® Cubes with Grey Lids

There's a man who 'gets it'! You may poke fun at me any time, sir! Lord knows I will give you lots of opportunities.
    You & me both mate.

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

You guys are all a bunch a A-holes When a new guy comes in here and asks a serious question, how dare you tell him something as ridiculous as "keep you tobacco in mason jars" that's like telling a guy he should store cubic feet of cigars inside a cooler, or that corn cob pipes can smoke just as well as patent era Dunhills. I ought to ding every one of you for propagating these outlandish ideas.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

Oooops. Sorry, Commander. We'll try to behave better in the future.

Hey, don't I know you from somewhere?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast