Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

So the first pipe smoke didn't go so well, need some help.

This is a discussion on So the first pipe smoke didn't go so well, need some help. within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Got through a whole pipe without a relight! Let it dry a little first, packed a little differently, and it ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Fraze's Avatar

Re: So the first pipe smoke didn't go so well, need some help.

Got through a whole pipe without a relight!

Let it dry a little first, packed a little differently, and it went much better.

Still think I'm puffing too often, but think I'm going the right direction.

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

suggestions.. let your tobacco air out before using. when I fill the pipe I sprinkle in a little tobacco and then tap the pipe on the counter or back of my hand do this 2 or 3 times when the last fill that goes above the bowl I press it just below the rim with my thumb. I have the old boy but use your basic bic lighter most of the time. during the first light your tobacco will swell I tamp that back down to the rim and light again. take a couple of long slow draws (like the first couple of draws through a straw of a good thick shake) don't constantly tamp and when you do use a soft touch.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fraze View Post
    Got through a whole pipe without a relight!

Let it dry a little first, packed a little differently, and it went much better.

Still think I'm puffing too often, but think I'm going the right direction.
    Victory! Stay with it.

Like most things worth doing, and all things worth doing well, it takes practice...

I'm sure there is an optimum method to packing a pipe, an optimum tobacco moisture content, an optimum lighting method and device... These forums are full of sage advice (no, really) and the internet is fuller still. But there is no better advice that I could give than "You just need to keep trying." Oh yes, and it's not a competition (unless you have entered a pipe smoking competition).

Enjoy!

Pipe comp? I bet Gandalf wins everytime.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

So I already placed an order for another Diplomat, this time a Straight.

This is the reason nobody saves money by smoking a pipe. While it is possible just doesn't happen something about purchasing more pipes and Baccy that gets the blood going.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Plume View Post
    This is the reason nobody saves money by smoking a pipe. While it is possible just doesn't happen something about purchasing more pipes and Baccy that gets the blood going.
    Yep, now I need to start figuring out what Briar to start with...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3