Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

So the first pipe smoke didn't go so well, need some help.

This is a discussion on So the first pipe smoke didn't go so well, need some help. within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Ok, here's how the first smoke went. I don't know all the terminology yet, so I'll describe it as best ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Fraze's Avatar

So the first pipe smoke didn't go so well, need some help.

Ok, here's how the first smoke went. I don't know all the terminology yet, so I'll describe it as best I can and I hope you guys can figure out what I'm talking about.
    Equipment - MM Diplomat, Half and Half tobacco, torch lighter I use for cigars.

I started by lightly filling the whole bowl with tobacco, which I packed down to the point that it probably filled roughly half the bowl.
    Then I filled it again, packed to about 3/4 full, then filled to the top and lightly packed it down.
    I tried drawing through it before lighting, and the air came through, but not as clearly as when it was empty.

I lit it by torching the top until a couple embers started, then let it go out.
    Then I torched again, while drawing in.
    Basically what happened was it felt like it never "caught" or lit properly.
    The first couple draws were decent, meaning the amount of smoke, but then it got lighter and lighter.
    The only way I could get it to really give me something was by repeatedly puffing on it, and after about 6 or 7 puffs, it would give me smoke, and I could see the glow of the ember coming out of the bowl.
    After I went through half of it like that, I went to the ashtray, and took out the ash that was on top, and tried "re-lighting" it.
    It worked a little, but only for a short while.
    Then it pretty much quit. I went to the ashtray and emptied out what was left, and there really wasn't much left.

So, please critique that if you could, and tell me how to improve on what I did.
    I did experience quite a bit of what I'm guessing is "tongue-bite".
    Also, during the smoke, do I leave the ash that accumulates on top, get rid of it, tamp it down, etc?

Thanks in advance. First effort was certainly a fail, but I don't want to quit on it.
    I might have to fire up a cigar now though just to soothe the pain!

Re: So the first pipe smoke didn't go so well, need some help.

I woulnt use a torch on a pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by scottw View Post
    I woulnt use a torch on a pipe.
    Ok, I thought I was supposed to be using matches, or a lighter that was not a standard "cigarette" lighter.
    I assumed that kind of lighter was ok.

What kind of lighter do you use if not matches?

Regular soft flame lighter

Regular soft flame lighter
    Crap. Thats was what I thought I wasn't supposed to use.

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

dont use a torch of any kind

as most people praise the 3 step stuff method i have had better luck with a slightly stuff till full and go ( if not full to the top . oh well) and lightly tamp down. after the initail light then i tamp down to get a good draw.

and most important as the good and all mighty pipe lord Dale has taught me is to dry. dry. dry the tobacco. H&H is a drugstore brand and those are full of nasty stuff to keep them dry on a shelf forever.. (same with cigarettes). the tobacco should actully turn a slight hue when properly dry.almost crunchy is where you want to be.

even practice does'nt make perfect. just smoke and enjoy the moment.

Fraze, I work at the tech center and live in rochester hills. Shoot me a PM with your info and we'll meet up soon.

I usually hit up smokers outlet on 12/mound for lunch and a bowl.

Basically you pack it however you want, sounds like you did it good.

Use a soft flame lighter to char the top layer, then you use a tamper to gently push it down so it's a solid stable layer, usually I don't wait for the embers to go out, they will do so during this phase. Next I relight and retamp as I draw in, this will let it catch and form a good layer for the ember to stay at. Then continue to gently tamp and relight as needed, you tamp when the smoke starts to get really light usually.

Quote Originally Posted by hardcz View Post
    Fraze, I work at the tech center and live in rochester hills. Shoot me a PM with your info and we'll meet up soon.

I usually hit up smokers outlet on 12/mound for lunch and a bowl.

Basically you pack it however you want, sounds like you did it good.

Use a soft flame lighter to char the top layer, then you use a tamper to gently push it down so it's a solid stable layer, usually I don't wait for the embers to go out, they will do so during this phase. Next I relight and retamp as I draw in, this will let it catch and form a good layer for the ember to stay at. Then continue to gently tamp and relight as needed, you tamp when the smoke starts to get really light usually.
    Awesome, I was in that shop on friday looking for gear.
    I'm up that way a lot as my real estate office is right at 12&Hoover.

I can't pm yet though.

Dan is a dick but very knowledgable. Meet up with him. ( love ya Dan )

Smoking makes me go Poo! Shemp75's Avatar

And make sure you wear really tight underwear and work on your hand blocks beforehand (hate ya Dan)

Quote Originally Posted by Fraze View Post
    Awesome, I was in that shop on friday looking for gear.
    I'm up that way a lot as my real estate office is right at 12&Hoover.

I can't pm yet though.
    Next time you're in there and Anthony is in there, the guy who runs the shop, go "white power" in your best southern hick voice, lol. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Shemp75 View Post
    And make sure you wear really tight underwear and work on your hand blocks beforehand (hate ya Dan)

Awesomeness

An Old Retired Wiseguy! JohnnyFlake's Avatar

The cheapest, of all, pipe lighters are strong stick matches.

The best mechanical pipe lighter, for the money, is a zippo with the pipe lighting insert.

The best pipe lighter period, but will cost near $100, is a Corona Old Boy! There are none better!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
    The cheapest, of all, pipe lighters are strong stick matches.

The best mechanical pipe lighter, for the money, is a zippo with the pipe lighting insert.

The best pipe lighter period, but will cost near $100, is a Corona Old Boy! There are none better!!!
    Love my zippo, btw I had Anthony order two of the pipe zippo's, there a black and silver one in the case now.

I disagree with the old boy, I tried one, and when it works, it works great, though having it not catch a flame every time it's struck was quite frustrating, had the same issue with the xikar version. I just picked up a dunhill with a similar construction, lights every time, but seems to blow through fluid hella fast. And lastly got an ever torch that's been good, though for windy situations can't beat the zippo.

Zippo!
    Dale

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast