Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

REAL New to pipe smoking.

This is a discussion on REAL New to pipe smoking. within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Ok, so I have been curious about pipe smoking for a long time now. To be honest, I really don't ...

No longer a community member.

REAL New to pipe smoking.

Ok, so I have been curious about pipe smoking for a long time now. To be honest, I really don't know what I am doing in the slightest.

Dont know what I need and don't know how to do it. I know, lame right?

I have been told to get a corn cob pipe to start..................

What kind of tools will I need?

I have been told that I can't mix certain kinds of tobacco in the same pipe.

How will I know what I can and can't use in the same pipe?

I know there is a certain technique to loading the tobacco in the pipe but I'm not sure what it is.

Can someone help teach me the basics?

Thanks.

Full grown Puffer Fish SilverStreak's Avatar

Re: REAL New to pipe smoking.

Gonna sub this thread because I've been thinking about the same thing
    Torpedo, torpedo, torpedo!!

anyone?

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    Ok, so I have been curious about pipe smoking for a long time now. To be honest, I really don't know what I am doing in the slightest.

Dont know what I need and don't know how to do it. I know, lame right?

I have been told to get a corn cob pipe to start..................
    Yes, a cob or three is a great way to start. They smoke super well, and are cheap, so if ya don't like pipes it's no big loss.

What kind of tools will I need?
    Several pipes (you can get MM cobs for about 5$ a piece), pipe tobacco (Prince Albert is a good cheap tobacco that is EXTREMELY easy to learn to pack and smoke, about 4$ for a pouch), mason jars to store yer Baccy (start with an empty jam jar, zero $), soft flame (bic lighter, pipe zippo, matches {what I use, and are often free}), pipe cleaners (less than 2$ a pack, and can be in the 1$ range a pack when bought in bulk), a Czek pipe tool is nice, but not necessary (about 2$), and a tamper (free... pick up a pinkie sized stick on the ground and rub one end of it on the sidewalk till flat and smooth, then do some decorative whittling on the rest of it while smoking yer pipe).

Two cobs, PA tobacco, pipe cleaners are the only things ya have to spend cash on for a total of about sixteen bucks!

I have been told that I can't mix certain kinds of tobacco in the same pipe.
    As I answered in yer other thread, a dedicated pipe is good for Latakia blends and aromatics... burley, Virginia, and VAper blends all can be smoked from the same pipe. Stick with them till yer sure ya wanna go further down the pipe slope. PA (prince albert) is tasty, cheap, and a nice burley blend. Later you can smoke Virginia and Vaper blends in yer pipe that ya learned with PA.

How will I know what I can and can't use in the same pipe?
    See answer above.

I know there is a certain technique to loading the tobacco in the pipe but I'm not sure what it is.
    Dribble tobacco into yer pipe not pressing at all till full... tap the side of the bowl a few times and add more... lightly tamp... NOW grab a big pinch and cram it in the top. The bottom of the bowl should now be loosly packed and the top tightly. Puff on it. Can ya puff fairly easily through it? Yes? Bravo! Yer ready to smoke. No? Empty it out and try again with a softer touch. It will come with practice, and will become second nature eventually.

Basically, just keep filling it and smoking it! You will figure out how you do it best.

Can someone help teach me the basics?
    It's all up above, the basics have now been mostly covered I figure.

Thanks.
    Yer quite welcome, sir. Feel free to ask more questions, but try and have just one question per post please. It will make answering yer questions easier.

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    Yes, a cob or three is a great way to start. They smoke super well, and are cheap, so if ya don't like pipes it's no big loss.

Several pipes (you can get MM cobs for about 5$ a piece), pipe tobacco (Prince Albert is a good cheap tobacco that is EXTREMELY easy to learn to pack and smoke, about 4$ for a pouch), mason jars to store yer Baccy (start with an empty jam jar, zero $), soft flame (bic lighter, pipe zippo, matches {what I use, and are often free}), pipe cleaners (less than 2$ a pack, and can be in the 1$ range a pack when bought in bulk), a Czek pipe tool is nice, but not necessary (about 2$), and a tamper (free... pick up a pinkie sized stick on the ground and rub one end of it on the sidewalk till flat and smooth, then do some decorative whittling on the rest of it while smoking yer pipe).

Two cobs, PA tobacco, pipe cleaners are the only things ya have to spend cash on for a total of about sixteen bucks!

As I answered in yer other thread, a dedicated pipe is good for Latakia blends and aromatics... burley, Virginia, and VAper blends all can be smoked from the same pipe. Stick with them till yer sure ya wanna go further down the pipe slope. PA (prince albert) is tasty, cheap, and a nice burley blend. Later you can smoke Virginia and Vaper blends in yer pipe that ya learned with PA.

See answer above.

Dribble tobacco into yer pipe not pressing at all till full... tap the side of the bowl a few times and add more... lightly tamp... NOW grab a big pinch and cram it in the top. The bottom of the bowl should now be loosly packed and the top tightly. Puff on it. Can ya puff fairly easily through it? Yes? Bravo! Yer ready to smoke. No? Empty it out and try again with a softer touch. It will come with practice, and will become second nature eventually.

Basically, just keep filling it and smoking it! You will figure out how you do it best.

It's all up above, the basics have now been mostly covered I figure.

Yer quite welcome, sir. Feel free to ask more questions, but try and have just one question per post please. It will make answering yer questions easier.
    Really do appreciate it.

Going to take the next step!

Young Fish

I started with a cob a few years back. There is a learning curve to pipe smoking, especially loading/packing it. Stay with it. When it 'clicks' it is great, when it doesn't it can become frustrating. I almost gave up a few times. But it is worth the time and effort.
    Enjoy..

another question.

Looking at corncob pipes now.

Filtered or unfiltered?

I'm guessing unfiltered?

Puffer Fish with some spikes Fraze's Avatar

I'm a pipe noob too, and have been nurtured by the guys here.

I started with the MM Diplomat, first a bent, and my straight is on order.

I went with the Prince Albert to get started ( amongst others), but the main advice I can give it stick with. It takes a little more finesse to get it right than with cigars, but the more you practice, the more it "clicks" as stated above.

Oh, and unfiltered.

Thanks fraze.

Next newb question, is this pipe any good for a beginners pipe?

Graco ARCADIAN Pipe - Apple

I am looking at that one and a Viking that is a bit cheaper.

I intend to get a corncob pipe to start out with, just looking at pipes to move onto afterwords if I like it.

I'll be of no help on that one, I' gonna work with the cob's for a while, then move on to the briars once I get it down.

I have to admit though, it's tough not to jump on some of those beautiful briars out there after staring at my cob for a few bowls!

What Briars are you talking about Fraze?

Basically I'm telling you I have no input that should be valid on pipes other than cob's.

I'll leave that to the more veteran pipe guys on here. :-)

Sounds like you are on the right track. Don't worry about getting things perfect right away - it comes with a bit of practice. You will find your own "best" packing, lighting, and puffing techniques for you and your smokes. It is all about relaxing, right?

Cobs are a great place to start. Cobs are also a great place to stay - nothing wrong with cobs. As to briars, I would consider an estate pipe that strikes your fancy before shelling out on a new one. Not familiar with the Graco pipes - sorry, but I can't help you there. I started with a MM Diplomat, and still smoke it. Love that pipe. My next pipe was a Bjarne saucer, and the next another Bjarne Elephant's Foot. My latest pipe is a Stanwell. Pipe acquisition disorder is dangerous!

Keep an eye out in the WTS forum here - lots of great people here selling pipes - two of the three briars I own were purchased from BOTLs here.

Good luck and keep in touch! It wasn't too long ago that I was asking the same questions.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

I was wanting to get a 1.5 oz packet of the PA cherry vanilla but pipes and cigars are out of stock.

Is there another brand that would be like PA with a cherry flavor that you guys could recommend?
    Last edited by huskers; 10-10-2012 at 09:36 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast