Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Why multiple pipes?

This is a discussion on Why multiple pipes? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Question from a newb: I bought my first pipe about two months ago. It's a barrel pipe, a PTM. I ...

Why multiple pipes?

Question from a newb:

I bought my first pipe about two months ago. It's a barrel pipe, a PTM. I love it. I probably smoke about 5 times a week. The pipe itself has begun to inherit the general smell of the tobaccos that I have used, primarily Dark Rum and Honey & Rum. My question is, is there a reason for owning multiple pipes? It seems there are a lot of collectors on the site who probably own several pipes merely for collector interest. But should I expect that my pipe may become specific to certain types of tobacco? Maybe my question is dumb, but as I consider buying a second pipe I'm curious if owning multiple pipes is the norm. When I bought the first one I honestly figured it was the only pipe I would ever own!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

Re: Why multiple pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by adeadmanrising View Post
    Question from a newb:

I bought my first pipe about two months ago. It's a barrel pipe, a PTM. I love it. I probably smoke about 5 times a week. The pipe itself has begun to inherit the general smell of the tobaccos that I have used, primarily Dark Rum and Honey & Rum. My question is, is there a reason for owning multiple pipes? It seems there are a lot of collectors on the site who probably own several pipes merely for collector interest. But should I expect that my pipe may become specific to certain types of tobacco? Maybe my question is dumb, but as I consider buying a second pipe I'm curious if owning multiple pipes is the norm. When I bought the first one I honestly figured it was the only pipe I would ever own!
    Brother ^^^ that little statement made me laugh out loud!!

As you get into more blends you will enjoy smoking them from a pipe that isn't ghosted with other flavors and smells. But if you do only stick to the one type of tobacco then there isn't really a need for a second or more pipes. You will find that your tastes will change over time and you'll go looking for something new. When you do you won't want something to remind you of what you used to like. I hope that makes sense.
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

As you smoke, moisture will build up in the bottom of the bowl and the heal areas. In between smokes, this moisture needs time to dry out so the Briar doesn't develop a shunky, ashtray taste. This is why having more than one pipe in your "rotation" is a good idea. 24 to 48 hours in between smokes is the recommended norm, but IMHO, 4 to 6 hours is plenty enough time. It really depends on the moisture content and type of the tobacco being smoked... More moisture in the tobacco means more time to dry before smoking again.
    Dale

Newbie in the ocean

All good answers and if I may add there fun to have

In my opinion, there's really nothing inherently wrong with owning just one pipe, particularly if you're only smoking the same couple of blends and you're only smoking a few times a week. But there are lots of reasons why we puffers own dozens.

Collecting - Want to own pipes of different shapes, or multiple different pipes by the same maker, etc.

Resting - If you smoke multiple bowls a day, it's a good idea to let a pipe rest a couple of days in between smoking it. I'll ordinarily smoke a pipe up to maybe three times or so before I clean it and put it away to rest.

Ghosting - Briars tend to hold onto some stronger flavors, like those of aromatic tobaccos and latakia. If you smoke several different types and flavors of tobaccos, you might not want your pipe to taste like what you smoked yesterday.

Different moods/occasions/circumstances - Sometimes, I want a big honking pipe. Sometimes I want a small one. Sometimes I'm in a cob mood. Some of my pipes are great smokers, but kinda ugly....so I smoke those at home, but I'd rather smoke a nicer looking pipe when I'm out and around other people. Some are more valuable, and I wouldn't want to take those fishing or to a bar. Some feel better in the hand when you're sitting and relaxing, some are light and more comfortable to clench in your teeth to smoke while you're driving or doing something with your hands.

Matching tobaccos - Some tobaccos just seem to smoke better in certain pipes. Don't ask me why, I'm not an expert on this. The only thing I've experienced first hand is that burleys seem to smoke better in a cob and straight virginias seem to smoke better in a briar.

And the #1 reason we have multiple pipes - Pipe Aquisition Disorder

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish z0diac's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adeadmanrising View Post
    Question from a newb:

I haven't read the replies yet, but the 2 main reasons are:

1 - so you don't get tobacco flavor 'ghosting' - the left-overs of one tobacco's flavor showing up in something else when you smoke it after.
    2 - to be able to rest your pipe between smoking. SOME people believe a good 24hr period of down-time is needed for a pipe to thoroughly dry out. Others say they smoke the same pipe over and over throughout the day with no ill effect. I don't smoke my pipe enough to confirm either of these schools of thought.

And a third reason - just the beauty of having selection!
    You can't buy happiness but you can buy cigars, and that's basically the same thing.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Hambone1's Avatar

There are other reasons... depth of the bowl determines the length of the smoke, thus you might choose pipes with different bowl sizes for different lengths of time that you'd have to smoke. Also, the shape of the bowl could be important. A 'V' shaped bowl is good for flake or rope tobbacos. Length of the stem could be important, i.e. a Churchwarden stem or mini churchwarden stem. Needless to say, ask any married man and he would be able to give you an excuse for each and every pipe he owns, with a different reason for each. How else do we explain it to the wife in order to get permission to buy them!
    Puffers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    And the #1 reason we have multiple pipes - Pipe Aquisition Disorder
    There should be a health warning and Government information films on this subject. Unless you are extremely strong willed, you won't stick to a small, utilitarian sample of pipes. You'll collect. It's fun. My advice would be to stick to the "magpie" type of collection. Buying whatever shiny thing catches your eye rather than focusing on any maker, shape or other specific collection criteria. That way lies madness. I fell into single maker collecting (with numerous exceptions - all for good reasons I assure you...) as a way of limiting the scope and therefore size of my collection. It don't work none. 300+ Ropp pipes tell a different story (and that's probably an gross underestimate - I simply don't like to count...).

All the good reasons for having a "rotation" of pipes have been correctly pointed out by others. Ghosting, resting, pipes for different occasions or moods. But the real reason most of us have many pipes - I would contend - is because WE WANT TO.