Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Finally got first pipe and had first bowl...........

This is a discussion on Finally got first pipe and had first bowl........... within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Lots of practice and LOTS of patience. I used to be ok with the pack, but found I'd be gurgling ...

Leading Puffer Fish

Re: Finally got first pipe and had first bowl...........

Lots of practice and LOTS of patience. I used to be ok with the pack, but found I'd be gurgling in no time. Now I can typically keep a bowl lit with maybe only one or two relights without too much of a problem as long as I slow down and pay attention to how I'm packing. PA smokes great in just about everything, but best of all in my meerschaums. Flakes are still hit or miss. I had a few flakes of Luxury Bullseye this morning that just wanna play right.

No longer a community member.

So i think somehow i ruined my pipe. Finally got the tobacco to burn a bit better but that ashtray smell and flavor seem to be impregnated in my pipe. all i can taste is ashtray now.

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Keith View Post
    PA is good for any price tobacco Mark! heh heh
    Ok. After a good (and well deserved) beating, I will admit that you are entirely correct.

In the old days PA was my favorite. Today I have other favorites, but PA is definately good tobacco.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraze View Post
    Not saying that PA is horrible (I'm in no spot to decide such things yet) but it did seem more harsh.
    I'm guessing that if it seems harsh to you that you are smoking it too fast. PA is a burley. Burley is known for it's nicotine content, a sortta nutty flavor, and a bad "tongue bite" if ya smoke it too fast/hot.

Slow down, and take tiny sips. If ya retrohale it (like with a cigar) and take tiny sips, it is smooth, sweet, and has a hint of a cocoa flavor.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

Have you swabbed with a pipe cleaner, and have you chucked the filter yet?

Puffer Fish with some spikes Fraze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    I'm guessing that if it seems harsh to you that you are smoking it too fast. PA is a burley. Burley is known for it's nicotine content, a sortta nutty flavor, and a bad "tongue bite" if ya smoke it too fast/hot.

Slow down, and take tiny sips. If ya retrohale it (like with a cigar) and take tiny sips, it is smooth, sweet, and has a hint of a cocoa flavor.
    I think that was most certainly the issue.

Now that I know how to pack better, I won't feel like I need to smoke so fast/hot to keep it lit.

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    So i think somehow i ruined my pipe. Finally got the tobacco to burn a bit better but that ashtray smell and flavor seem to be impregnated in my pipe. all i can taste is ashtray now.
    I'm sure yer pipe is ok.

Run a pipe cleaner through it, and brush out the bowl too with the cleaner.

Yer probably smoking too fast. If the bowl gets hot, yer smoking too fast. It should never get more than warm. Also, take tiny sips once you have it burning good.

A cigar will almost club yer senses. So much smoke, and smell and flavor. Pipe tobacco has a wider variety of scent and taste... but with the exception of Latakia, it isn't as strong flavored.

Puff it good to get it going, then just enough to barely keep it going. Tiny sips. You will smell and taste SO much more and not have any harshness or tongue bite.

Be patient, experiment, and it will all come to you. A pipe is different, but every bit as good as cigars, and it costs a fraction of what good cigars do. Taking up the pipe also gives yer cigars a chance to sit and age!

No longer a community member.

I did not get any "cleaner" for my pipe other than the pipe cleaners.

I was told to get some pipe cleaners, Regular PA and a Cob pipe.......................didn't realize I needed other cleaners.

Would this be the cleaner you are refering to?

Blitz Clean System - 50ml

I am confused. I was told to puff hard when lighting it to get it going. If I do that, it gets harsh on me and burns my tongue.

Maybe I just need to use the liquid pipe cleaner and clean it out?

Wish I knew I needed that liquid stuff before my pipe got here.

Oh well...............guess it can sit for a while.

Removed per request

You don't need a liquid cleaner for the inside of a cob, just the fuzzy pipe cleaners. You can wipe out the bowl with a paper towel, but don't get it wet inside...that would not be a good thing. Don't over think it and listen to your own good sense. It's not rocket science and you'll get there.

Practice makes perfect - I had a hard time when I started as well. I really think that even though you get so much sound advice, it really comes down to the pipe, the tobacco, and you. Keep at it and it will come.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Puffer Fish with some spikes Jogi's Avatar

No you haven't ruined the pipe. The first few bowls in a corncob taste burnt and ashtray-ish because the bowls is being charred for the first time. That flavor will go after 5 or 6 bowls and you'll be left with a nutty, toasty aroma from your pipe (if you clean it after every smoke). And yo don't need any cleaning supplies other than pipe cleaners just now... Pipe cleaners are good for the time being...

Removed per request

Huskers, is the Mizzou the only pipe you bought? Just wondering. It is the smallest bowl of the MM line. Maybe go to CVS, Walgreens or Rite Aid (they carry cobs) and pick up a Legend or a Washington, which are a step up in size. It'll set you back around $5 and you may be happier with a little larger bowl.

Geez! This sounds hard. I wanna try it but it seems like such a process.
    Be discreet in all things, and so render it unnecessary to be mysterious.
    VIVA LA RESISTANCE!

Removed per request

I guess it's as hard as one makes it Milton! Like I say, it ain't rocket science...

I'm sure you're right Kevin. I'm gonna give it the old college try. Just need to figure out where to start
    Be discreet in all things, and so render it unnecessary to be mysterious.
    VIVA LA RESISTANCE!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast