Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Finally got first pipe and had first bowl...........

This is a discussion on Finally got first pipe and had first bowl........... within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I meant wait 8 to 10 seconds between long and short puffs my grammar sucks....

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Re: Finally got first pipe and had first bowl...........

I meant wait 8 to 10 seconds between long and short puffs my grammar sucks.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Plume View Post
    Hey huskers I understand the frustration here's a couple of things for you. First there's a reason many vets still smoke Cobs the really do smoke great just bought a couple more myself. That said here is how I learned to pack a pipe and I learned two ways of thinking about it so which ever works for you maybe it will help. Gravity feed bowl with Baccy till bowl is full tapping sides to make sure it's full then press it down till you have now taking up half the bowl fill again this time above top press down till it takes up three quarters of bowl now fill yet again stacking it above the bowl and put more Baccy than you think you need this time and press down just below the rim to do it this way it should require you to pack a little harder each time. First like baby bear then mama bear then like a papa bear and that is literally how I think about it everytime. Next part is easier to experiment with lighte off, when to dump you ash. I tamp every few minutes and I always draw when I do. Turn of the lights after bowl is lit if you can see full ember great partial great I find as long as you can see it its good! If you cannot see ember at all but are still smoking time to dump some ash. Tamp slightly and gently tap some ash out you do not want to dump your ember out! Putting your thumb over half the bowl and sipping will help you getting smoking a bit better if you feel it's going out. If it does no biggy just tamp lightly dump excess ash and try try again. My puffing cadence and there are many different ones is long smooth sip 8 to 10 seconds and two shorter sips a tinch harder than the long. That is just me and how I do it and it works. There are many ways to skin this cat please stay with it! Now pm me your address and I will send you several samples no trade required, and I will send you some bolder blends to try. I am in France so they will take a bit of time to get there. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the great tips Dave. I have been practicing the fill technique and I think I got it down pretty good. Yesterday, I was able to fill the bowl, light it and keep it going without relighting. I even dumped the ash and was able to keep it going!

I was a tad confused about the ash. Cigar ash turns white as your burning. I noticed that the center of my bowl is white but the edges are black.................Still seems like they burnt though? They fell out easily with the ash.

I really think I am getting the hang of this finally and I can't wait to try some better tobaccos.

Appreciate all the encouragement and great tips from everyone!
    Last edited by huskers; 10-19-2012 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post
    Thanks for the great tips Dave. I have been practicing the fill technique and I think I got it down pretty good. Yesterday, I was able to fill the bowl, light it and keep it going without relighting. I even dumped the ash and was able to keep it going!

I was a tad confused about the ash. Cigar ash turns white as your burning. I noticed that the center of my bowl is white but the edges are black.................Still seems like they burnt though? They fell out easily with the ash.

I really think I am getting the hang of this finally and I can't wait to try some better tobaccos.

I knew you could do it, Josh. It's all downhill from here.

Appreciate aencouragementragment and great tips from everyone!

I knew you could do it, Josh. It's all downhill from here. Now, stop sweating the small stuff, load up some more bowls and RELAX. PAD and TAD are soon to follow. You are describing a perfect bowl burn from start to finish. As you smoke your bowl down, use your tamper and "lightly" scrape the unburned tobacco down into the bowl from the sides. But you got it down, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by huskers View Post

Appreciate aencouragementragment and great tips from everyone!
    Not a problem! Again sending me your address and I will post you some samples. You can pm me or email me at the address listed on my profile.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Alright Josh thanks for the addy.
    I have picked out the stuff that I am sending you and am giving you a list of what to expect provided post office is open tomorrow.
    Samples will include and below are links to the reviews of each at tobacco reviews.com I selected these because you were and are a cigar smoker much like my previous self.
    Old Dublin by Peterson English blend burns very well! Ready to smoke no drying necessary
    Peterson - Old Dublin pipe tobacco reviews
    Front Morton cellar you getting the remaining bowl or two from my sample with desertlifter because I like it so much I ordered a ton of it so I don't mind sharing what's left. He's too thank for that. No drying necessary ready to smoke.
    McClelland - Frog Morton's Cellar pipe tobacco reviews
    Full Virginia flake perhaps my fav along with frog Morton cellar! Wet tobacco dry it well and read up on flake tobacco. Ill post a link to smoking flakes at end of this article.
    Samuel Gawith - Full Virginia Flake pipe tobacco reviews
    St James flake. This is a vaper blend Virginia's and perque very smooth and nice. Again a flake dry well.
    Samuel Gawith - St. James Flake pipe tobacco reviews
    Squadron leader also a flake won't worry you can rub them out to look and smoke like regular tobacco. Actually more rewarding than just regular tobacco in my opinion.
    Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader pipe tobacco reviews
    Peterson university flake also some left from my sample with desertlifter I am going to by a tin so I don't mind spreading the wealth thanks desertlifter!
    Peterson - University Flake pipe tobacco reviews
    And I will send some davidoff blue mixture just because I have some and it has perhaps the most amazing room note so if you are smoking in public you want to smoke this.
    Takes about ten business days or so to get this to you so be on the look out. Ill upload a pic of package when I have sent it tomorrow! When you get it take a pic and upload it or it didn't happen!
    Cheers!
    Dave

Here is article on different ways to smoke flake. Like I said don't be intimidated you can rub it out and smoke it like any other tobacco. The flakes I am sending you are typically pretty wet when they are in tin so remember to dry well. I dry them over night. Flake Pipe Tobacco Preparation and Smoking | With Pipe and Pen

If you have further questions just ask!

Thanks Dave!!!

Your the man!

Awesome gesture, Dave! +RG to you!

Yes, for sure Cliff.

RG+ to you too for all your help!

Everyone on the pipe side has been so nice, helpful and generous to me.

Couldnt ask for a better family.

Ok josh you are good to go! Got my lazy butt up this morning and to the post before it closed. Here's a pic for you might take a bit of time should be there before two weeks is out.

Attachment 72316

Pic is probably upside down like every other pic I take and upload from the iPad. Also correction to my stupid self in my earlier post squadron leader is not a flake but you will find that out soon enough man! Hope you find something enjoyable in the mix. I included enough tobacco in most samples that if you find that you don't like it you should be post them on sample tobacco thread and I believe you can request a sample for every one that is requested of you or something like that here is link to the thread. The Puff Tobacco Share Official Thread

Good luck and let's us know when it gets there and what you like! Then post that to your wish list!

The evil dr. Strikes again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Plume View Post
    Ok josh you are good to go! Got my lazy butt up this morning and to the post before it closed. Here's a pic for you might take a bit of time should be there before two weeks is out.

Attachment 72316

Pic is probably upside down like every other pic I take and upload from the iPad. Also correction to my stupid self in my earlier post squadron leader is not a flake but you will find that out soon enough man! Hope you find something enjoyable in the mix. I included enough tobacco in most samples that if you find that you don't like it you should be post them on sample tobacco thread and I believe you can request a sample for every one that is requested of you or something like that here is link to the thread. The Puff Tobacco Share Official Thread

Good luck and let's us know when it gets there and what you like! Then post that to your wish list!

The evil dr. Strikes again!
    sweet man, I'll deffantly keep you updated!

I bought myself today.
    A corn cob pipe do they all come with plastic mouthpieces? meerschaum it was
    A jet lighter with what looked and worked like like a pipe attachment except its not removable
    A 50G tin of erinmore it smelt great like a sweet apricot smell

I think i more or less nailed it probably need to brush up on the finer points but yeah.I used the method this guy on youtube talked about where he grabbed one pinch tapped it lightly then the next one a bit harder then the last one pushed in very hard i probably was a bit conservative in how much i packed.

Once i got it going it was good! not as much flavour as i expected then again i probably bought a fairly generic brand of baccy but it was smoooooth! and enjoyable i just kicked back contemplated things and enjoyed it throughly i found myself a couple of times treating it like a ciggy heh but ill stop doing that my dumb arse forgot to get some pipe cleaners but meh however that $3 pipe tool was excellent i recommend buying them.

Oh a noob question how do you tell if its finished i just tipped it out when it started to get to the botttom.

Sounds like you had a good first go red! Missouri meerschaum is the only kind of corn cob to buy so good choice there! Yes they all come with plastic bits to begin with either black plastic or amber colored (with the exception of the freehand). However many guys on the forum buy a couple of these for their cobs. 'Forever' Stems
    For me personally while I would love a forever stem the 50 cent bits that you can buy as replacements for the ones that come on your pipes are an unbeatable deal. I personally love the Danish bit.
    Danish Filtered Black Bits - Smoking Pipe Bits - Missouri Meerschaum Company
    That being said I probably should pick up a forever stem as much as I love my cobs. As to you're next question how do you know when you are out. Near the end of my bowl a lot of times my pipe will go out which will tell me I might be getting low. So I will lightly tamp dump excess ash and see if there is some unburnt tobacco, however I will almost try and light it a time or two. If it doesn't burn but a few seconds I know that I am out and empty the rest of the pipe. I have never personally smoked erinmore and there seems to be more than one thoe which one did you by? However it seems to have a following on this site several users have mentioned it in previous posts.
    You can find tobacco reviews of most tobaccos you might find in your brick and mortar here TobaccoReviews.com - The largest collection of pipe tobacco reviews on the internet I would find erinmore for you but site is not loading for me.

Are you a cigar smoker because it takes a little while for your palette to adjust to pipe tobacco in general and especially for cigar smokers. Not to say there are not extremely bold pipe tobaccos. Btw make it your first priority to get some pipe cleaners ASAP. Otherwise one of these days you will taste something not so pleasant. If you haven't signed up yet do the newbie pipe sampler trade here Newbie Sampler Trade for Pipes find what you like and put it on your wish list you never know what will happen on this site. Plus you get trader feedback which you will need if you want to be a part of secret Santa pipes coming up soon.
    hope this helps
    dave.
    Last edited by Dr. Plume; 10-22-2012 at 03:27 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast