Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

How to fix shank & stem that don't meet flush (Metal insides)?

This is a discussion on How to fix shank & stem that don't meet flush (Metal insides)? within the The Pipe Hobby How-To Discussion Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello! I recently purchased an estate Demuth SnapKleen briar pipe, and even though I knew the stem and shank didn't ...

Newbie in the ocean

How to fix shank & stem that don't meet flush (Metal insides)?

Hello! I recently purchased an estate Demuth SnapKleen briar pipe, and even though I knew the stem and shank didn't meet flush I still liked the pipe and thought get it with an attempt to fix it myself. I've done a few pipe restorations but am new to the game and haven't encountered something like this. The tricky thing (as you can see in the picture) is that the connection points are metal. Is there a way I can fix this without having it sent out or special tools?

Thanks!
    Attachment 72427Attachment 72426How to fix shank & stem that don't meet flush (Metal insides)?-photo.jpgHow to fix shank & stem that don't meet flush (Metal insides)?-photo-1-.jpg

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Hannibal's Avatar

Re: How to fix shank & stem that don't meet flush (Metal insides)?

It would appear to me that the problem lies actually in the mouthpiece itself. Sometimes the metal plug in the plastic slips out a fraction of an inch. You might just try putting a little pressure inwards on the mouthpiece while it's in the pipe and see if it'll slide in a little further. Or find something that is the same diameter as the outside of the metal insert to push against.

I have a meer that has an insert like this and it is a little loose. All I do is push against it and it'll slide in to where it looks good.
    My Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/hannibal
    Proud to have served 1988-2000 U.S. Army!!

Newbie in the ocean

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately the insert is not protruding from the plastic surrounding it, nor did it budge at all (the gap is still there). Is it possible to remove the metal just within the stem? Or is there another option?

Let me preface this by saying that I don't know jack squat about refurbishing pipes or about your pipe in particular. That being said It looks like both sided of that joint are aluminum and that the mating faces are a bit scared and oxidized (aluminum's version of rust) Aluminum (if that is what it is) is somewhat sticky (for lack of a proper term) and has a tendency to stick in a joint like that. When you pull the pieces apart it is not uncommon to get deformation and scarring. Also because aluminum oxide forms on the surface it will also tighten a joint further. If this is the case then you would have to use a very fine file or sandpaper to clean this up. You would need to go very slow and be very careful as you are probably only needing to remove one or two thousands of an inch to make the joint come together. Also before you put them back together you will have to make sure you have some kind of a lubricant in the joint to keep it from seizing again. Just a thought as this is coming from zero pipe experience and just a small working knowledge of metal working.

I'm with the others in that I don't know these pipes so can't be definitive.

However, one of your pictures seems to show that the aluminium spigot in the pipe is not sitting fully "in". To about the same extent of the gap. The insert in the mouthpiece looks to be in the correct position. I'd try to push the spigot in until the slightly discoloured area disappears. Probably easier to say than do. Or, if it is stuck fast and is the same diameter as the rest of the spigot, simply shorten the part of the spigot at the end with the smaller diameter. That is obviously irreversible, but my guess is that it would cause no concern. File it down a fraction and see if the stem fits that much better before hacking it off too much.

Clearly make sure that the mouthpiece part hasn't got anything inside right at the back of it causing the obstruction first.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp